Program Throttling
Author Message
 Program Throttling

Hi,  I am trying to throttle a VB6 program so that I can vary the
speed at which it operates, and yet be independent of the processor
speed. I have been using the "Sleep API" but have found that it the
program runs quicker if are other programs running concurrently then
if my program is the only active program. ( Really a person would
think the opposite would be true).
Any suggestions would be welcome.

Sat, 10 Mar 2012 14:26:51 GMT
 Program Throttling

Quote:

> Hi,  I am trying to throttle a VB6 program so that I can vary the
> speed at which it operates, and yet be independent of the processor
> speed. I have been using the "Sleep API" but have found that it the
> program runs quicker if are other programs running concurrently then
> if my program is the only active program. ( Really a person would
> think the opposite would be true).
> Any suggestions would be welcome.

If Sleep isn't working out, have you considered breaking the task down into discrete
steps that could be executed (perhaps in sequence) on a timer interval?
--
.NET: It's About Trust!
 http://vfred.mvps.org

Sun, 11 Mar 2012 01:40:50 GMT
 Program Throttling

Quote:

> > Hi, ?I am trying to throttle a VB6 program so that I can vary the
> > speed at which it operates, and yet be independent of the processor
> > speed. I have been using the "Sleep API" but have found that it the
> > program runs quicker if are other programs running concurrently then
> > if my program is the only active program. ( Really a person would
> > think the opposite would be true).
> > Any suggestions would be welcome.

> If Sleep isn't working out, have you considered breaking the task down into discrete
> steps that could be executed (perhaps in sequence) on a timer interval?
> --
> .NET: It's About Trust!
> ?http://vfred.mvps.org

Thanx Karl, I'll give it a try, admittedly I have been reluctant to
use a Timer, but it seems the options are limited.

Duke

Sun, 11 Mar 2012 08:58:33 GMT
 Program Throttling

Quote:

>> > Hi, I am trying to throttle a VB6 program so that I can vary the
>> > speed at which it operates, and yet be independent of the processor
>> > speed. I have been using the "Sleep API" but have found that it the
>> > program runs quicker if are other programs running concurrently then
>> > if my program is the only active program. ( Really a person would
>> > think the opposite would be true).
>> > Any suggestions would be welcome.

>> If Sleep isn't working out, have you considered breaking the task down into
>> discrete steps that could be executed (perhaps in sequence) on a timer interval?

> Thanx Karl, I'll give it a try, admittedly I have been reluctant to
> use a Timer, but it seems the options are limited.

Yeah, if it gets down to, "Execute these instructions every 30ms, ...", uh, not sure
there's a better tool that meets those specs. <g>
--
.NET: It's About Trust!
 http://vfred.mvps.org

Sun, 11 Mar 2012 09:03:35 GMT

1. Throttling VB apps

2. Throttle resources when using scripting component?

3. throttling bandwidth using VB

4. Throttled FTP Transfer via msWinsock Control

5. Throttled Bandwidth File Copy

6. bandwidth throttle

7. bandwidth throttle

8. VB5.0 or VB6.0 seems to throttle I/O on Alpha.

9. VB5.0, VB6.0 seems to throttle I/O on the Alpha platform.

10. access programming vs VB programming

11. (newbie) Starting a program from a VB.net program

12. Writing Programs from your own program???