SATA HD Config
Author Message
 SATA HD Config

Is there a way to determine the configuration of the SATA HDs in my PCs.
I need to see if the 1G/3G plug is pulled or not, programmatically (or else
I would just look, lol).
So far I have found that running a simple API write (by cluster size) is not
a good indication on some PCs.
When Vista is sanding my disk surfaces, my API or Binary writes are much
slower.
XP seems less of a problem, less sanding.
Currently one USB drive is much faster than a 1T SATA drive on the same
Vista PC.
Maybe there is a WMI or some other way?
As I type this, my VISTA HD light is on solid as it is indexing and sanding
my drives.
I will have to wait for several hours to get it to calm down so I can scrape
off the dust and try my speed test again.
Bottom line, besides trying to figure out what drive are fast, I would like
to know their config.
My motherboard has two SATA interfaces.
One standard and one motherboard specific.
Both are fully loaded with HD and DVD/BluRay drives.
A slow disk is causing me to lose data with Vista built-in apps. Yes,
actually lose data, so I want to figure out how to tell what each disk
config is and what speed it is capable of so I can redirect the data to the
fastest drive.
I have SATA drives that will do 60MB/Sec sustained and others that only do
14 MB/s or less.
All internal SATA HD.  The USB HD is doing 25 MB/sec sustained, nice.
But I am not sure if these are truly max since Vista is busy sanding my
disks and I do not know how to stop that.
I think Vista indexing is always on and cannot really be turned off.  I
tried and failed.
VB6SP6
I think MS is trying to hypnotize me with the HD clackty clack and blinking
blue HD light.
Maybe if I decoded the blue light flashes it would be saying - I am a PC,
Vista PC that is ...
Hey, its Monday.

Sat, 29 Oct 2011 01:10:03 GMT
 SATA HD Config
See step 6

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950685

Sat, 29 Oct 2011 01:23:26 GMT

1. how to read from xml config ex: web.config

2. Hd size ( if hd > 2gb Api return always 2 Gb )

3. serial number of HD

4. Getting HD ID

5. HD's size

6. A97 Caches, Buffering and speeding up HD, How?

7. DB fills HD when deleting module!?!?

8. Urgent !!! HD Serial No

9. Automate Save attachments in Hd

10. Programmatically moving outlook 2000 items to HD

11. get hd info managed code version?

12. get hd info managed code version?