Printing in VBIDE
Author Message
 Printing in VBIDE

Anybody familiar with the following problem in Vista?
Printer is connected to a router using cable.
No printer is directly connected to the Vista system.
Vista is hooked up wireless.

VB 6 IDE results in "Problem getting printer information from the system.
Make sure the printer is set up correctly".

Both Word and Powerpoint have no trouble using the printer..

In Excel, I get the message "Current printer is unavailable".

Note that I can print with Notepad and IE 7.

One issue is the inconsistency within the Office apps.
The other is VB 6.

Thu, 16 Dec 2010 11:19:07 GMT
 Printing in VBIDE

Quote:
> Anybody familiar with the following problem in Vista?
> Printer is connected to a router using cable.
> No printer is directly connected to the Vista system.
> Vista is hooked up wireless.

> VB 6 IDE results in "Problem getting printer information from the system.
> Make sure the printer is set up correctly".

> Both Word and Powerpoint have no trouble using the printer..

> In Excel, I get the message "Current printer is unavailable".

> Note that I can print with Notepad and IE 7.

> One issue is the inconsistency within the Office apps.
> The other is VB 6.

Doesn't sound to me like a VB-specific problem...or for that matter with any
single application. Therefore, you're probably best off asking in a Vista
newsgroup.

--
Mike
Microsoft MVP Visual Basic

Thu, 16 Dec 2010 21:29:06 GMT
 Printing in VBIDE

Quote:
> Doesn't sound to me like a VB-specific problem...or for that matter with
any
> single application. Therefore, you're probably best off asking in a Vista
> newsgroup.

I'm guessing that the printer is not installed correctly.
When I updated the printer driver last week, Brother techie told me to use a
method tat makes no sense.
I'm gonna uninstall, then re-install in a bit.

Thu, 16 Dec 2010 21:43:39 GMT
 Printing in VBIDE
Bingo!
Eureka!
Whoopee!

I believe that I found a fix!

On the Vista system, I changed the default printer to Microsoft XPS Document
Writer.
Ran the VB 6 program that uses Excel, no problem.
Printed from VBIDE, no problem.
Printed from Excel.no problem.
I then changed the default printer to the Brother HL-2170W.
Voila!
All appears to now work!
At least VB 6 and Excel do!

Sat, 18 Dec 2010 19:14:34 GMT

1. Custom CommandBarButton DISABLED Image (VBIDE)

2. Accessing VBIDE.VBE.VBProjects via Excel in VB .NET Causes Excel To Crash When App Terminates

3. Accessing VBIDE.VBE.VBProjects via Excel in VB .NET Causes Excel To Crash When App Terminates

4. Download Interop VBIDE 5.0?

5. Accessing VBIDE.VBE.VBProjects via Excel in VB .NET Causes Excel To Crash When Closed

6. Adding to the VBIDE popup menu

7. LoadPicture Locks Up VBIDE

8. Use VBIDE class in an activeX component project

9. Determining VBIDE application mode from a VB add-in

10. VBIDE And Creating Add-Ins

11. VBIDE Objects HELP!!!

12. VBIDE Add-in FormTemplate access problem