What Does it Mean Microsoft No Longer Supports VB?
Author Message
 What Does it Mean Microsoft No Longer Supports VB?

Quote:
> Exactly what does it mean that MS no longer supports Visual Basic?
> Does it mean the runtime module will not longer work on the Windows
> Operating System?  Does it mean the development environment will no
> longer work in Windows.  What?

FAQ !

Sat, 14 Jul 2012 21:15:05 GMT
 What Does it Mean Microsoft No Longer Supports VB?

Quote:
> Exactly what does it mean that MS no longer supports Visual Basic?
> Does it mean the runtime module will not longer work on the Windows
> Operating System?  Does it mean the development environment will no
> longer work in Windows.  What?

In a nutshell, it just means you're on your own. If you have problems, MS
won't help.  It also means it's unlikely any remaining bugs in either the
runtime or the IDE will never get fixed because there will be no more
service packs for it.  MS has committed to VB6 *apps" running (or IOW, the
runtime being supported) on Windows at least through the life of Win7.

See this:
Support Statement for Visual Basic 6.0 on Windows Vista, Windows
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbrun/ms788708.aspx

--
Mike

Sat, 14 Jul 2012 22:14:08 GMT
 What Does it Mean Microsoft No Longer Supports VB?

Hello,

This is not yet the case :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbrun/ms788708.aspx (note thought that it
applies to the runtime).

No support means that if this doesn't work on some new OS (or even on
existing OS), they won't make anything to make this work and you'll be on
your own.

Of course usually, what used to work still works once support has expired...

--
Patrice

Quote:
> Exactly what does it mean that MS no longer supports Visual Basic?
> Does it mean the runtime module will not longer work on the Windows
> Operating System?  Does it mean the development environment will no
> longer work in Windows.  What?

Sat, 14 Jul 2012 22:31:46 GMT
 What Does it Mean Microsoft No Longer Supports VB?
A point I have been worrying about is all updates, are they tested
against not being harmful for VB6 apps, we run a couple of those....
And as we run a local WSUS solution  I get to decide when to install,
but I as supposed to install all the updates sometime.
I however think (not shure) that some little updates was done anyway,
but its hard as we are several perrsons servicing those puters.

//CY

Sat, 14 Jul 2012 23:50:44 GMT
 What Does it Mean Microsoft No Longer Supports VB?

Quote:

> Exactly what does it mean that MS no longer supports Visual Basic?
> Does it mean the runtime module will not longer work on the Windows
> Operating System?  Does it mean the development environment will no
> longer work in Windows.  What?

Neither one.  It just means they're not going to test them, or make sure
they do work.  They're just saying that you're on your own to make them
work.

Sun, 15 Jul 2012 00:15:59 GMT
 What Does it Mean Microsoft No Longer Supports VB?
jim evans pretended :

Quote:
> Exactly what does it mean that MS no longer supports Visual Basic?
> Does it mean the runtime module will not longer work on the Windows
> Operating System?  Does it mean the development environment will no
> longer work in Windows.  What?

Microsoft's Support for VB6 Users Remains a Disappointment -- Visual
Studio Magazine
http://visualstudiomagazine.com/articles/2009/10/27/microsoft-vb6-sup...

--
.NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

Sun, 15 Jul 2012 01:23:22 GMT
 What Does it Mean Microsoft No Longer Supports VB?

Quote:

>In a nutshell, it just means you're on your own. If you have problems, MS
>won't help.  It also means it's unlikely any remaining bugs in either the
>runtime or the IDE will never get fixed because there will be no more
>service packs for it.

Still, 10 years of support for a product they've wanted to kick under the bus
for years wasn't such a bad deal.

Sun, 15 Jul 2012 04:31:56 GMT
 What Does it Mean Microsoft No Longer Supports VB?

jim evans pretended :
> Exactly what does it mean that MS no longer supports Visual Basic?
> Does it mean the runtime module will not longer work on the Windows
> Operating System?  Does it mean the development environment will no
> longer work in Windows.  What?

Microsoft's Support for VB6 Users Remains a Disappointment -- Visual
Studio Magazine
http://visualstudiomagazine.com/articles/2009/10/27/microsoft-vb6-sup...

Whattya mean a disappointment? It just works!

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Sun, 15 Jul 2012 21:29:20 GMT
 What Does it Mean Microsoft No Longer Supports VB?
Quote:

> Microsoft's Support for VB6 Users Remains a Disappointment -- Visual
> Studio Magazine

http://visualstudiomagazine.com/articles/2009/10/27/microsoft-vb6-sup...
rategy.aspx
------------------
"Until the Visual Fred debacle, Microsoft had never rendered any of their
customer's data unusable. Not once. ....I haven't heard any reason yet to
consider letting them do it again. Have you?"
------------------

   What you say may be right, but at this point it
seems to be company policy to kill all products
as soon as possible in order to sell the next one.
They could still support Win9x and 2000, charging
for support calls. People are still using those products.
But even passive support is systematically eliminated.
(A lot of documentation for downloads, API calls, etc..
has been changed to falsely claim that XP+ is required.)

They'll try to kill XP at the earliest possible opportunity.

  Yesterday I saw an article detailing how people using
Office 2003 might have a hard time with the hardware
requirements for Office 2010. (Hardware requirements
for an office suite!)

   It's odd that it doesn't occur to people at MS
that they need decent new product instead of
bloated, fashion-chasing, restrictive spyware. If a car
dealer has to sell new cars by sneaking around at night
putting sugar in gas tanks....at some point he should
start to realize that his business model is not so
hot, and begin to wonder what's the matter with the
new cars. :)

Sun, 15 Jul 2012 23:23:48 GMT
 What Does it Mean Microsoft No Longer Supports VB?

mayayana explained :

Quote:

>> Microsoft's Support for VB6 Users Remains a Disappointment -- Visual
>> Studio Magazine

> http://visualstudiomagazine.com/articles/2009/10/27/microsoft-vb6-sup...
> rategy.aspx

> ------------------
> "Until the Visual Fred debacle, Microsoft had never rendered any of their
> customer's data unusable. Not once. ....I haven't heard any reason yet to
> consider letting them do it again. Have you?"
> ------------------

>    What you say may be right, but at this point it
> seems to be company policy to kill all products
> as soon as possible in order to sell the next one.

I can almost understand that.  Killing products to promote a new one is
about the only viable business strategy they have.  Office, afterall,
achieved "Good Enough" eight or ten years ago.

But killing *data* - whoa! - that's a whole 'nother story!!!  Can you
even *imagine* if they rendered DOC or XLS files unusable???  They're
outta business, that day.

Quote:
> They could still support Win9x and 2000, charging
> for support calls. People are still using those products.
> But even passive support is systematically eliminated.
> (A lot of documentation for downloads, API calls, etc..
> has been changed to falsely claim that XP+ is required.)

Yeah, that's just ugly, I agree.

Quote:
> They'll try to kill XP at the earliest possible opportunity.

I think it would've been dead by now, if it weren't for the rise of
netbooks and the debacle that was Vista.

Quote:
>   Yesterday I saw an article detailing how people using
> Office 2003 might have a hard time with the hardware
> requirements for Office 2010. (Hardware requirements
> for an office suite!)

I'd be curious to see that, if you can dredge it back up.

Quote:
>    It's odd that it doesn't occur to people at MS
> that they need decent new product instead of
> bloated, fashion-chasing, restrictive spyware. If a car
> dealer has to sell new cars by sneaking around at night
> putting sugar in gas tanks....at some point he should
> start to realize that his business model is not so
> hot, and begin to wonder what's the matter with the
> new cars. :)

The big difference is, cars *do* wear out.  Bits never die.  Naturally.

--
.NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

Mon, 16 Jul 2012 04:15:29 GMT
 What Does it Mean Microsoft No Longer Supports VB?
Quote:
> > They'll try to kill XP at the earliest possible opportunity.

> I think it would've been dead by now, if it weren't for the rise of
> netbooks and the debacle that was Vista.

   Yes. There's a perverse satisfaction in seeing
how they shot themselves in the foot while trying
to force more people to buy more PCs.

Quote:
> >   Yesterday I saw an article detailing how people using
> > Office 2003 might have a hard time with the hardware
> > requirements for Office 2010. (Hardware requirements
> > for an office suite!)

> I'd be curious to see that, if you can dredge it back up.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/25/office_2010_2007_2003_upgrades/

  There's a link there to the official MS page. The requirements
for CPU and RAM are not extreme -- same as for 2007, but
that's about double the requirements for 2003. And the
disk space requirement is increased:

"most standalone application disk-space requirements
have gone up by 0.5 GB"

  So Word needs *an additional* 500 MB more space
than it used to need. I guess it must be 1-2 GB already.
I can't even conceive of what they might be installing
with such bloat. I'm running Win98 with 1.6 GB used.
That includes OpenOffice, Visual Studio 6, MSDN, a
couple dozen smaller programs, Paint Shop Pro, several
browsers, and a couple of SDKs (SAPI and AA.) Yet
Microsoft needs more space for Word alone.

   But it could be worse, I guess. We could be Apple
Seeds. Today I saw the quote of the year: Steve Jobs,
describing web browsing with the new iPad, said "Seeing
the whole page at once is phenomenal". He was comparing
the iPad to a cellphone, as though nobody had ever seen
the Web before on a computer with a screen bigger than
half of a grilled cheese sandwich. :)

Mon, 16 Jul 2012 06:23:13 GMT
 What Does it Mean Microsoft No Longer Supports VB?

After serious thinking mayayana wrote :

Quote:
>    But it could be worse, I guess. We could be Apple
> Seeds. Today I saw the quote of the year: Steve Jobs,
> describing web browsing with the new iPad, said "Seeing
> the whole page at once is phenomenal". He was comparing
> the iPad to a cellphone, as though nobody had ever seen
> the Web before on a computer with a screen bigger than
> half of a grilled cheese sandwich. :)

LOL!  That's pretty precious, alright...

--
.NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

Mon, 16 Jul 2012 07:30:36 GMT
 What Does it Mean Microsoft No Longer Supports VB?

Quote:
>Office, afterall,
>achieved "Good Enough" eight or ten years ago.

Huh, I'm still using Word 97. When I'm not using OpenOffice.

MM

Mon, 16 Jul 2012 17:59:51 GMT
 What Does it Mean Microsoft No Longer Supports VB?

Quote:
>The big difference is, cars *do* wear out.

Nope. Even that statement is not necessarily true. Cars can be
repaired. Most *every*thing can be repaired if it was designed right
in the first place. Notwithstanding rust, which would be caused by bad
garaging procedures, everything in a car can be repaired or, if
capitalist "planned obsolescence" has used funny-headed screws,
replaced as a module. Don't forget I was a fitter once and I know.

MM

Mon, 16 Jul 2012 18:03:54 GMT
 What Does it Mean Microsoft No Longer Supports VB?

Quote:
> I can almost understand that. Killing products to promote a new one is
> about the only viable business strategy they have. Office, after all,
> achieved "Good Enough" eight or ten years ago.

> But killing *data* - whoa! - that's a whole 'nother story!!! Can you
> even *imagine* if they rendered DOC or XLS files unusable??? They're
> outta business, that day.

But Karl; it's *already happened*

A /Service Pack/ to Office 2003 locked us all out of our Word 2.* files
and a whole host of other types just because they were "insecure".

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9055138/Office_2003_SP3_blocks...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938810/en-us

It wasn't just that you couldn't /save/ these formats any more, which
would have been palatable; you simply you couldn't /open/ them!  Whole
swathes of corporate assets wiped out at a stroke.  Anyone else would
have slammed with Damages charges; not so Our Friends in Redmond.

Regards,
    Phill  W.

Mon, 16 Jul 2012 20:05:18 GMT

 [ 25 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. HELP: VB and Microsoft Project (Tech Support Useless)

2. Provider not support--what's it mean?

3. Microsoft Certification - does it mean anything?

4. Does Microsoft Certification mean $$$?

5. Microsoft Certification - does it mean anything?

6. What does Microsoft mean here?

7. What does Microsoft mean here?

8. 2nd Post File format no longer supported?

9. File Format No Longer Supported??!!

10. Procedure declarations no longer support the Static modifier

11. microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion, microsoft.public.vb.enterprise

12. MCI Does not support Long Filename?