XL2007 workbook with multiple users?
Author Message
 XL2007 workbook with multiple users?

I have an XL 2007 workbook on a server.  The workbook must be accessed
by multiple users with full write/modify permissions.  So far, not a
problem - until more than one person tries to access the workbook at
the same time!  The workbook is saved as a Shared File, and there are
no protections.

The set-up of the workbook was intended to be as painless for the user
as possible - there is a "form" created from cells (not a User Form)
on one page.  Most of the time, all they need to do is enter data into
the "form" and hit the button to run a macro that enters their data.
Occasionally, though, someone needs to create a new worksheet.  I
tried doing that with a macro also, so the users would not have to
worry about correctly creating the new sheet so the data entry macro
would see it and properly enter the data, but Excel woulid not allow
those modifications.

I had thought about creating a VB6 (Classic) wrapper" for the
workbook, and put all the functions in the VB program, vice macros in
Excel.  Would that alow greater flexibility for the multiple users?
Or is there a simple way to get XL 2007 to allow modifications by
multiple users across a server?

Ed

Sat, 18 Jun 2011 03:56:46 GMT
[...]

Did you set the Share Workbook Editing option to allow changes by more than one user at a time?

The following may help troubleshoot the issue as well:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/271513

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Sat, 18 Jun 2011 04:14:49 GMT
 XL2007 workbook with multiple users?
Hi, Paul.

Quote:
> Did you set the Share Workbook Editing option to allow changes by more than one user at a time?

Yes, I did.  The workbook is at work, and I'm still off on vacation
until next week, so I can't check specifics.  But I do know I did
that.  I just wanted to collect some insight before I go back and
start trying to craft a VB wrapper or dig into the workbook settings -
i usually make things worse that way!!  8>)

Ed

On Dec 29, 1:14?pm, Paul Clement

Quote:

> I have an XL 2007 workbook on a server. ?The workbook must be accessed
> by multiple users with full write/modify permissions. ?So far, not a
> problem - until more than one person tries to access the workbook at
> the same time! ?The workbook is saved as a Shared File, and there are
> no protections.
>
> The set-up of the workbook was intended to be as painless for the user
> as possible - there is a "form" created from cells (not a User Form)
> on one page. ?Most of the time, all they need to do is enter data into
> the "form" and hit the button to run a macro that enters their data.
> Occasionally, though, someone needs to create a new worksheet. ?I
> tried doing that with a macro also, so the users would not have to
> worry about correctly creating the new sheet so the data entry macro
> would see it and properly enter the data, but Excel woulid not allow
> those modifications.
>
> I had thought about creating a VB6 (Classic) wrapper" for the
> workbook, and put all the functions in the VB program, vice macros in
> Excel. ?Would that alow greater flexibility for the multiple users?
> Or is there a simple way to get XL 2007 to allow modifications by
> multiple users across a server?

> Did you set the Share Workbook Editing option to allow changes by more than one user at a time?

> The following may help troubleshoot the issue as well:

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/271513

> Paul
> ~~~~
> Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Sat, 18 Jun 2011 04:32:57 GMT

1. combine multiple excel workbooks into one workbook

2. Selecting multiple sheets in an Excel workbook

3. Excel VBA: search multiple-sheets in a workbook

4. Multiple Excel workbook manipulation

5. SELECT * INTO - XL workbook Multiple sheet SQL error

6. Excel HRESULT: 0x800A03EC when using Workbooks.open or Workbooks._opentext in C#

7. Excel 97/2000: making custom functions (in a hidden workbook) available to all open workbooks

8. VBA: Excel workbook to workbook transfer

9. Who's the user that exclusive open a workbook

10. prevent user from closing Excel workbook

11. NetUserGetGroups for multiple users, multiple groups

12. VB6, ADO Datacontrol, and multiple concurrent users: making a friendly user interface