Crash during compile
Author Message
 Crash during compile

Okay folks...I'm stumped.

When compiling my project (doesn't matter which one) during the "writing
exe" step, VB itself just shuts off.  No error messages, no nothing.  An
untrapped GPF would be my guess.  I've disabled all add-ins, run registry
cleaners, changed from native code to p-code, it makes no difference.  I've
tried various projects including from scratch projects, it literally makes
no difference.  I have SP6 with the common control updates, running on XP
SP3.  No updates were applied between last night (when I could compile
successfully) and this afternoon.  I tried restarting the computer, no luck.
The only thing I've yet to do is reinstall VB6 itself.

Any advice?  Anyone ever heard of something like this?

Thanks!

- Kev

Wed, 17 Aug 2011 05:55:39 GMT
 Crash during compile

Quote:
> Okay folks...I'm stumped.

> When compiling my project (doesn't matter which one) during the "writing
> exe" step, VB itself just shuts off.  No error messages, no nothing.  An
> untrapped GPF would be my guess.  I've disabled all add-ins, run registry
> cleaners, changed from native code to p-code, it makes no difference.
> I've
> tried various projects including from scratch projects, it literally makes
> no difference.  I have SP6 with the common control updates, running on XP
> SP3.  No updates were applied between last night (when I could compile
> successfully) and this afternoon.  I tried restarting the computer, no
> luck.
> The only thing I've yet to do is reinstall VB6 itself.

> Any advice?  Anyone ever heard of something like this?

No, but I bet the reinstall works....

Wed, 17 Aug 2011 07:43:07 GMT
 Crash during compile

| No, but I bet the reinstall works....

It did not.  But I did not uninstall first.  That's the next step.

::sigh::

Wed, 17 Aug 2011 09:39:50 GMT
 Crash during compile

Quote:

> When compiling my project (doesn't matter which one) during the "writing
> exe" step, VB itself just shuts off.  No error messages, no nothing

  This is probably not much help, but if a VB repair
doesn't work you might try running Filemon to see
what's happening at that point.

Wed, 17 Aug 2011 09:42:55 GMT
 Crash during compile

Quote:

> | No, but I bet the reinstall works....

> It did not.  But I did not uninstall first.  That's the next step.

I remember, having these issues some years ago -
what helped finally was, to define a new empty
project, define new empty copies of all code-
modules and copy only the "Text" over into the
new ones (and of course replicate all your
other projects "environmental settings").

Thank god, mine was only a Dll-Project with
ca. 10 modules - but it was compiling again
after that.
Don't know what was causing that - maybe some
"dead" *.Obj-Files{*filter*} around somewhere
in a hidden Temp-Dir or something like that.

Olaf

Wed, 17 Aug 2011 09:44:03 GMT
 Crash during compile

| Don't know what was causing that - maybe some
| "dead" *.Obj-Files{*filter*} around somewhere
| in a hidden Temp-Dir or something like that.

You sir are a steely eyed missle man!!

That did it.  I wiped out the temp folder and it all worked again.  Thank
you, I didn't even think about clearing the temp folder.  So obvious!!

- Kev

Wed, 17 Aug 2011 10:12:09 GMT
 Crash during compile
Hi
Would you share the file location just for the note book, you never know
when this could be useful.

Ron

Quote:

> | Don't know what was causing that - maybe some
> | "dead" *.Obj-Files{*filter*} around somewhere
> | in a hidden Temp-Dir or something like that.

> You sir are a steely eyed missle man!!

> That did it.  I wiped out the temp folder and it all worked again.  Thank
> you, I didn't even think about clearing the temp folder.  So obvious!!

> - Kev

Wed, 17 Aug 2011 19:35:01 GMT
 Crash during compile

| Hi
| Would you share the file location just for the note book, you never know
| when this could be useful.
|
| Ron

Which file location?  The temp folder?

C:\Documents and Settings\<logon name>\Local Settings\Temp

Fri, 19 Aug 2011 06:49:04 GMT

1. Excel crashes during Workbooks.Open AND if the screen saver is active

2. Word crashing During reading embeded excel sheet

3. acmsetup crash during Visual Studio install

4. Program crashes during "Load myform"

5. Program crashes during "Load myform"

6. Crosstab report crashes during design

7. VB Crashed During Update

8. Directx crashes my computer during installation

9. VB application crashed during COM callback.

10. Error during compiling

11. New to VB: Workspace and Database object throwing error during compile

12. "Not enough memory" error during compile