Multiple user textbox updates (real-time)
Author Message
 Multiple user textbox updates (real-time)

Is it possible to update textbox text from 2 or more users (seamlessly)? If
needed, can anyone recommend a good starting point for writing a custom
control that can do this? I tried using setScrollPosition after updating my
text but the text doesn't seem to scroll (only the bar moves).  I'd like to
maintain the position of the scrollbar while peer-edited text is added or
removed. It would be really nice to avoid flicker and or any indication that
text was added or removed while using the editor. How would you get started
building a control like this?

Thank you

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 09:07:32 GMT
 Multiple user textbox updates (real-time)

Quote:
> Is it possible to update textbox text from 2 or more users (seamlessly)? If
> needed, can anyone recommend a good starting point for writing a custom
> control that can do this? I tried using setScrollPosition after updating my
> text but the text doesn't seem to scroll (only the bar moves).  I'd like to
> maintain the position of the scrollbar while peer-edited text is added or
> removed. It would be really nice to avoid flicker and or any indication that
> text was added or removed while using the editor. How would you get started
> building a control like this?

I'd start by building a text based line editor.  In other words, a control that
accepts user input (keys and mouse) that edits a single line of text.

That would be the start of a custom text editor.  A single user can only
edit one line at a time, so wraping that up in a control allows for one or
more of them on the form.

The next task would be to display what the user has entered, so that the
user can scroll up and down through the entered text.  Then load and
save functions, et al....

I'd say it has to be custom made because even if you could keep the
VB Textbox set to where the local user is at, editing text above that
will (could possibly) change the word wrap, or text size such that the
effects would be noticed where the local user is at.  That could be a
bit distracting.

About the only way to avoid that is to gain complete control over
how the text is displayed, and edited.  Thus, the need for customizing
the process.

LFS

Tue, 30 Aug 2011 21:12:56 GMT

1. Real time update between Access and Excel - how??

2. Updating in real time.

3. Real Time update of data in listviews ?

4. Updating VB6 programs in real time

5. Copy / Paste special in to a VB app to get real-time numbers updated from Web

6. Can't get real-time shape/picture updates to display

7. Updating graphics in real-time

8. Copy / Paste special in to a VB app to get real-time numbers updated from Web

9. Real Time update of data in listviews ?

10. Real Time update of data in listviews ?

11. Copy / Paste special in to a VB app to get real-time numbers updated from Web

12. HELP PLEASE : Datagrid with real-time updates