Vista Visibility
Author Message
 Vista Visibility

VB6
I am finding that the apps I wrote on WinXP are more difficult to view on my
WinVista machine.
e.g. a form with a tab strip does not have visual separation of the tabs.
i.e. It is difficult to see which tab is selected.
I am using the standard Vista scheme with Aero.
I purposely left Vista alone so that it would look like what most users
would get out of the box.
It seems that just the basic default backcolor is much whiter, or is that me
or my monitor?
Bottom line, is there some standard way of adjusting something for all users
that will mitigate this visual infidelity?

Thu, 16 Jun 2011 23:50:00 GMT
 Vista Visibility
   I notice you haven't got any answers. You might try
microsoft.public.vb.vista.compatibility if you don't get
an answer here.

  I don't have any experience with Vista's 3-D techno-kitsch,
other than dabbling with a Vista desktop at Staples, but I
have noticed a big difference with LCD monitors. That could
have the effect you describe if your XP system uses a CRT
while your Vista system uses an LCD. LCD colors, in addition to
tending toward very bright, garish hues, seem to be lack
subtlety in general. For instance, I have webpages
that use a cream color background with decorative elements
that are butterscotch color on my CRT, but which are nearly
invisible when I view them on many LCD monitors. I still don't
understand what causes the limitations of LCD, but since
most graphics end up rendering like a devotional painting of
Krishna, I'm guessing that LCD is forced to dither dramatically.

Quote:
> VB6
> I am finding that the apps I wrote on WinXP are more difficult to view on
my
> WinVista machine.
> e.g. a form with a tab strip does not have visual separation of the tabs.
> i.e. It is difficult to see which tab is selected.
> I am using the standard Vista scheme with Aero.
> I purposely left Vista alone so that it would look like what most users
> would get out of the box.
> It seems that just the basic default backcolor is much whiter, or is that
me
> or my monitor?
> Bottom line, is there some standard way of adjusting something for all
users
> that will mitigate this visual infidelity?

Fri, 17 Jun 2011 22:53:31 GMT
 Vista Visibility
Vista newsgroups seldom provide any answers to my technical questions.
Thanks for your response.
May be my monitor, I am using a HD 1920x1200 Viewsonic that show HDTV from a
HDTV card very nicely.
May not be so good at VB Windows.
Other apps seem not to have any problems, like MS Mail or IE7.
I will try a laptop running Vista and see what that brings.
Quote:
>   I notice you haven't got any answers. You might try
> microsoft.public.vb.vista.compatibility if you don't get
> an answer here.

>  I don't have any experience with Vista's 3-D techno-kitsch,
> other than dabbling with a Vista desktop at Staples, but I
> have noticed a big difference with LCD monitors. That could
> have the effect you describe if your XP system uses a CRT
> while your Vista system uses an LCD. LCD colors, in addition to
> tending toward very bright, garish hues, seem to be lack
> subtlety in general. For instance, I have webpages
> that use a cream color background with decorative elements
> that are butterscotch color on my CRT, but which are nearly
> invisible when I view them on many LCD monitors. I still don't
> understand what causes the limitations of LCD, but since
> most graphics end up rendering like a devotional painting of
> Krishna, I'm guessing that LCD is forced to dither dramatically.

>> VB6
>> I am finding that the apps I wrote on WinXP are more difficult to view on
> my
>> WinVista machine.
>> e.g. a form with a tab strip does not have visual separation of the tabs.
>> i.e. It is difficult to see which tab is selected.
>> I am using the standard Vista scheme with Aero.
>> I purposely left Vista alone so that it would look like what most users
>> would get out of the box.
>> It seems that just the basic default backcolor is much whiter, or is that
> me
>> or my monitor?
>> Bottom line, is there some standard way of adjusting something for all
> users
>> that will mitigate this visual infidelity?

Sat, 18 Jun 2011 15:40:38 GMT
 Vista Visibility

Quote:
> VB6
> I am finding that the apps I wrote on WinXP are more difficult to view on
> my WinVista machine.
> e.g. a form with a tab strip does not have visual separation of the tabs.
> i.e. It is difficult to see which tab is selected.
> I am using the standard Vista scheme with Aero.
> I purposely left Vista alone so that it would look like what most users
> would get out of the box.
> It seems that just the basic default backcolor is much whiter, or is that
> me or my monitor?
> Bottom line, is there some standard way of adjusting something for all
> users that will mitigate this visual infidelity?

I suspect you have failed to enable Windows Themes for your program, which
of course means you really aren't using Aero at all.

You need to use a styles manifest to select the Common Controls 6.0
assembly.  Note that this will not help if you use the Common Controls 6.0
OCX (MSCOMCTL.OCX) which does not make use of COMCTL32.DLL.  Instead use the
Tabstrip from the Common Controls 5.0 OCX (COMCTL32.OCX) which does.

Don't be confused by the version numbers.  The manifest is selecting the
version of COMCTL32.DLL to link to, not the OCX version.

When I do this everything comes out looking just spiffy, and quite legible.

If you don't address this you can expect it to just get worse on Windows 7.

Mon, 20 Jun 2011 01:59:19 GMT
 Vista Visibility

Quote:

>>   I notice you haven't got any answers. You might try
>> microsoft.public.vb.vista.compatibility if you don't get
>> an answer here.

> Vista newsgroups seldom provide any answers to my technical questions.
> Thanks for your response.

mayayana pointed you to a ClassicVB group whose topic happens to be Vista
compatibility, not a Vista group that exists simply as a place for people to rage
against The Borg.
--
.NET: It's About Trust!
 http://vfred.mvps.org

Mon, 27 Jun 2011 06:08:59 GMT

1. Menu Bar Visibility

2. cant reset visibility property

3. Getting Scrollbar Visibility

4. Visibility of Querydef in 2 workpaces (VB Access / Oracle)

5. Data Access Page Visibility

6. How to change the visibility property of an outlook control

7. Toggle folder item visibility

8. Programmatic change visibility of FormPages

9. Outlook hangs in background - application visibility question

10. set visibility of controls

11. Layer visibility problem when embeded

12. Layer visibility problem