VB6 and VB-PowerWrap
Author Message
 VB6 and VB-PowerWrap

Several years ago I needed help in distributing a VB6 program I use with my
classes at a seniors' computer club where I volunteer (I am a senior as
well). I posted the problem to this group and received the suggestion that
the program VB-PowerWrap would do what I needed. The club purchased it and
it worked very well. It wraps any DLLs or OCXs etc into the .exe file of the
program so that the program does not have to be "installed" on a computer to
run. Instead, when the wrapped program is executed it temporarily registers
any needed DLLs, OCXs etc that are not on the target computer and then runs
my coding. The very great advantage of this is that my students can put my
program in a folder on a memory stick and run it both on their computers at
home and on computers at the computer club during workshops. They simply
plug the memory stick into the computer and run the program. It also enables
them to put projects using my program on CDs, give them to friends and
relatives who can run them from the CD without any installation.

My problem is that the company that produced VB-PowerWrap (Moonlight
Software) seems to have gone out of business. So when I had to replace my
hard drive I could not contact them with a new computer "fingerprint" to get
a new "key" to enable the VB-PowerWrap to run.

Does anyone else use VB-PowerWrap? If so, how are they handling this
problem? Can anyone suggest another program that would do the same or a
similar job--enable my VB6 program to run without actual installation on a
computer. Is there any other solution to distributing my program to my
students and letting them put projects using my program onto CDs and run
without installation?

Thank you.

Thu, 30 Jun 2011 04:09:22 GMT
 VB6 and VB-PowerWrap
IIRC, what VB PowerWrap did was create a self-extracting exe containing your
app and the dependencies... when executed, it extracted your app and
dependencies into a temp folder and either temporarily registered the
dependencies or ran it side-by-side.

I don't know offhand of any "replacement" to VB PowerWrap.  But if your app
only has Microsoft dependencies (VB6 runtimes and dll's/ocx's included with
VB6 like mscomctl.ocx, etc.), then perhaps you can author an autorun
"bootstrap" using something like Inno Setup (which is free), where it checks
if the MS dependencies are already present, if so just launch your app, if
not then install the dependencies then launch your app.  I think Inno has
directives in which you can launch the app and abandon the "setup" on
condition (don't hold me to it, it's something I haven't really explored).

You shouldn't be concerned about having it install MS runtimes (as long as
it's done properly) since they are MS ones (and can be left there as they
are typically considered a part of Windows since other apps may rely on them
as well).  You probably shouldn't be too concerned about installing
dependencies of your own design or exclusive to your app (as long as you
include a proper "uninstall"), as plenty of "run from CD" titles do this.

Quote:
> Several years ago I needed help in distributing a VB6 program I use with
my
> classes at a seniors' computer club where I volunteer (I am a senior as
> well). I posted the problem to this group and received the suggestion that
> the program VB-PowerWrap would do what I needed. The club purchased it and
> it worked very well. It wraps any DLLs or OCXs etc into the .exe file of
the
> program so that the program does not have to be "installed" on a computer
> run. Instead, when the wrapped program is executed it temporarily
registers
> any needed DLLs, OCXs etc that are not on the target computer and then
runs
> my coding. The very great advantage of this is that my students can put my
> program in a folder on a memory stick and run it both on their computers
at
> home and on computers at the computer club during workshops. They simply
> plug the memory stick into the computer and run the program. It also
enables
> them to put projects using my program on CDs, give them to friends and
> relatives who can run them from the CD without any installation.

> My problem is that the company that produced VB-PowerWrap (Moonlight
> Software) seems to have gone out of business. So when I had to replace my
> hard drive I could not contact them with a new computer "fingerprint" to
get
> a new "key" to enable the VB-PowerWrap to run.

> Does anyone else use VB-PowerWrap? If so, how are they handling this
> problem? Can anyone suggest another program that would do the same or a
> similar job--enable my VB6 program to run without actual installation on a
> computer. Is there any other solution to distributing my program to my
> students and letting them put projects using my program onto CDs and run
> without installation?

> Thank you.

Thu, 30 Jun 2011 05:00:48 GMT
 VB6 and VB-PowerWrap

Quote:
> Several years ago I needed help in distributing a VB6 program I use with
> my classes at a seniors' computer club where I volunteer (I am a senior as
> well). I posted the problem to this group and received the suggestion that
> the program VB-PowerWrap would do what I needed. The club purchased it and
> it worked very well. It wraps any DLLs or OCXs etc into the .exe file of
> the program so that the program does not have to be "installed" on a
> computer to run. Instead, when the wrapped program is executed it
> temporarily registers any needed DLLs, OCXs etc that are not on the target
> computer and then runs my coding. The very great advantage of this is that
> my students can put my program in a folder on a memory stick and run it
> both on their computers at home and on computers at the computer club
> during workshops. They simply plug the memory stick into the computer and
> run the program. It also enables them to put projects using my program on
> CDs, give them to friends and relatives who can run them from the CD
> without any installation.

> My problem is that the company that produced VB-PowerWrap (Moonlight
> Software) seems to have gone out of business. So when I had to replace my
> hard drive I could not contact them with a new computer "fingerprint" to
> get a new "key" to enable the VB-PowerWrap to run.

> Does anyone else use VB-PowerWrap? If so, how are they handling this
> problem? Can anyone suggest another program that would do the same or a
> similar job--enable my VB6 program to run without actual installation on a
> computer. Is there any other solution to distributing my program to my
> students and letting them put projects using my program onto CDs and run
> without installation?

I was able to find the contact information from the Internet Archive and
Google. Here is the person to contact:

George Balla

Here is the link to the company. The domain is still registered, but the web
site doesn't show up:

http://www.moonlight-software.com

Link to the site in the Internet Archive:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.moonlight-software.com/

Direct link to the last time it was archived(Jan 11, 2008):

http://web.archive.org/web/20080111233535/http://www.moonlight-softwa...

I found his name in the domain info, and the second download site shows his
name. The email was found in newsgroup posting.

Thu, 30 Jun 2011 05:17:54 GMT
 VB6 and VB-PowerWrap
Similar and not limited to VB is a program called MoleBox
http://www.molebox.com/.

Quote:
> Several years ago I needed help in distributing a VB6 program I use with
> my classes at a seniors' computer club where I volunteer (I am a senior as
> well). I posted the problem to this group and received the suggestion that
> the program VB-PowerWrap would do what I needed. The club purchased it and
> it worked very well. It wraps any DLLs or OCXs etc into the .exe file of
> the program so that the program does not have to be "installed" on a
> computer to run. Instead, when the wrapped program is executed it
> temporarily registers any needed DLLs, OCXs etc that are not on the target
> computer and then runs my coding. The very great advantage of this is that
> my students can put my program in a folder on a memory stick and run it
> both on their computers at home and on computers at the computer club
> during workshops. They simply plug the memory stick into the computer and
> run the program. It also enables them to put projects using my program on
> CDs, give them to friends and relatives who can run them from the CD
> without any installation.

> My problem is that the company that produced VB-PowerWrap (Moonlight
> Software) seems to have gone out of business. So when I had to replace my
> hard drive I could not contact them with a new computer "fingerprint" to
> get a new "key" to enable the VB-PowerWrap to run.

> Does anyone else use VB-PowerWrap? If so, how are they handling this
> problem? Can anyone suggest another program that would do the same or a
> similar job--enable my VB6 program to run without actual installation on a
> computer. Is there any other solution to distributing my program to my
> students and letting them put projects using my program onto CDs and run
> without installation?

> Thank you.

Thu, 30 Jun 2011 08:53:56 GMT
 VB6 and VB-PowerWrap
Hi,

Thank you for the information and suggestions. Since I have had no luck in
getting access to the support people for the VB-PowerWrap program (I think
they must have disbanded) I will most certainly look into your suggestions.
Unfortunately I have quite a bit of learning to do since I am not all that
familiar with such things as dependencies and so forth. I have briefly
looked ino the Inno Setup program. It looks very interesting.

Most of my programs include the use of some DLLs and OCXs that are not
normally included in Windows. I am not sure what problems this will incur.

Again thank you.

Doug H.

Quote:
> [...]

> enables
>> them to put projects using my program on CDs, give them to friends and
>> relatives who can run them from the CD without any installation.

>> My problem is that the company that produced VB-PowerWrap (Moonlight
>> Software) seems to have gone out of business. So when I had to replace my
>> hard drive I could not contact them with a new computer "fingerprint" to
> get
>> a new "key" to enable the VB-PowerWrap to run.

>> Does anyone else use VB-PowerWrap? If so, how are they handling this
>> problem? Can anyone suggest another program that would do the same or a
>> similar job--enable my VB6 program to run without actual installation on
>> computer. Is there any other solution to distributing my program to my
>> students and letting them put projects using my program onto CDs and run

Sat, 02 Jul 2011 03:22:07 GMT
 VB6 and VB-PowerWrap
Hi,

Thank you for searching out a person to contact about support for my
VB-PowerWrap program from Moonlight Software. I tried using this contact to
no avail. Although I did not get any "undeliverable" message back, I also
did not receive any replies from the person.

Likely he no longer is associated with the Moonlight Software support group
since it has likely disbanded. I do not understand this since the program is
still being sold (see the site:
https://www.regsoft.net/regsoft/vieworderpage.php3?productid=38040) and
therefore must have a support group. The RegSoft company keeps sending me
the old, unusable email address of the support group when I ask them about
it.

Again thank you.

Doug H

Quote:

>> Several years ago I needed help in distributing a VB6 program I use with
>> my classes at a seniors' computer club where I volunteer (I am a senior
>> as well). I posted the problem to this group and received the suggestion
>> that the program VB-PowerWrap would do what I needed. The club purchased
>> it and it worked very well. It wraps any DLLs or OCXs etc into the .exe
>> file of the program so that the program does not have to be "installed"
>> on a computer to run. Instead, when the wrapped program is executed it
>> temporarily registers any needed DLLs, OCXs etc that are not on the
>> target computer and then runs my coding. The very great advantage of this
>> is that my students can put my program in a folder on a memory stick and
>> run it both on their computers at home and on computers at the computer
>> club during workshops. They simply plug the memory stick into the
>> computer and run the program. It also enables them to put projects using
>> my program on CDs, give them to friends and relatives who can run them
>> from the CD without any installation.

>> My problem is that the company that produced VB-PowerWrap (Moonlight
>> Software) seems to have gone out of business. So when I had to replace my
>> hard drive I could not contact them with a new computer "fingerprint" to
>> get a new "key" to enable the VB-PowerWrap to run.

>> Does anyone else use VB-PowerWrap? If so, how are they handling this
>> problem? Can anyone suggest another program that would do the same or a
>> similar job--enable my VB6 program to run without actual installation on
>> a computer. Is there any other solution to distributing my program to my
>> students and letting them put projects using my program onto CDs and run
>> without installation?

> I was able to find the contact information from the Internet Archive and
> Google. Here is the person to contact:

> George Balla

> Here is the link to the company. The domain is still registered, but the
> web site doesn't show up:

> http://www.moonlight-software.com

> Link to the site in the Internet Archive:

> http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.moonlight-software.com/

> Direct link to the last time it was archived(Jan 11, 2008):

> http://web.archive.org/web/20080111233535/http://www.moonlight-softwa...

> I found his name in the domain info, and the second download site shows
> his name. The email was found in newsgroup posting.

Sat, 02 Jul 2011 03:27:54 GMT
 VB6 and VB-PowerWrap
Hi,

Thank you for sending me information about the program MoleBox which may be
useful to replace the program I have been using, VB-PowerWrap.

Since I have been unable to find any support for the VB-PowerWrap program
(to get a new key to make it operational on my new hard drive) I will most
certainly look into this new program. Since it has a trial version it will
be useful to try before actually purchasing it.

Thank you again.

Doug H.

Quote:
> Similar and not limited to VB is a program called MoleBox
> http://www.molebox.com/.

>> Several years ago I needed help in distributing a VB6 program I use with
>> my classes at a seniors' computer club where I volunteer (I am a senior
>> as well). I posted the problem to this group and received the suggestion
>> that the program VB-PowerWrap would do what I needed. The club purchased
>> it and it worked very well. It wraps any DLLs or OCXs etc into the .exe
>> file of the program so that the program does not have to be "installed"
>> on a computer to run. Instead, when the wrapped program is executed it
>> temporarily registers any needed DLLs, OCXs etc that are not on the
>> target computer and then runs my coding. The very great advantage of this
>> is that my students can put my program in a folder on a memory stick and
>> run it both on their computers at home and on computers at the computer
>> club during workshops. They simply plug the memory stick into the
>> computer and run the program. It also enables them to put projects using
>> my program on CDs, give them to friends and relatives who can run them
>> from the CD without any installation.

>> My problem is that the company that produced VB-PowerWrap (Moonlight
>> Software) seems to have gone out of business. So when I had to replace my
>> hard drive I could not contact them with a new computer "fingerprint" to
>> get a new "key" to enable the VB-PowerWrap to run.

>> Does anyone else use VB-PowerWrap? If so, how are they handling this
>> problem? Can anyone suggest another program that would do the same or a
>> similar job--enable my VB6 program to run without actual installation on
>> a computer. Is there any other solution to distributing my program to my
>> students and letting them put projects using my program onto CDs and run
>> without installation?

>> Thank you.

Sat, 02 Jul 2011 03:30:58 GMT
 VB6 and VB-PowerWrap
Some software use the volume serial number(VSN), so if you still have the
old drive, try using the following software to change the VSN on the new
drive to make it match the old drive:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/system/change_drive_sn.aspx

Sat, 02 Jul 2011 07:33:03 GMT
 VB6 and VB-PowerWrap
You might consider http://mmm4vb6.atom5.com/ but this is only a solution for
XP SP2 and later machines.  But it does allow portability without breaking
any rules or fudging with the registry on a host machine.

Quote:
> Does anyone else use VB-PowerWrap? If so, how are they handling this
> problem? Can anyone suggest another program that would do the same or a
> similar job--enable my VB6 program to run without actual installation on a
> computer. Is there any other solution to distributing my program to my
> students and letting them put projects using my program onto CDs and run
> without installation?

> Thank you.

Sun, 03 Jul 2011 11:03:59 GMT
 VB6 and VB-PowerWrap
Hi,

Thank you for the suggestion to change the serial number of my harddrive. I
looked into this but the "hardware fingerprint" that the VB-PowerWrap
program detects on my computer does not seem to match the VSN of any drive,
including the old drive. It seemed very reasonable to assume that this
fingerprint was the VSN since it changed when I changed my system disk. The
only other thing I changed was the WindowsXP program. Could it have this
fingerprint?

Thanks again.

Doug H

Quote:
> Some software use the volume serial number(VSN), so if you still have the
> old drive, try using the following software to change the VSN on the new
> drive to make it match the old drive:

> http://www.codeproject.com/KB/system/change_drive_sn.aspx

Wed, 06 Jul 2011 04:34:01 GMT

1. vb-PowerWrap does not work.....

2. who knows VB-PowerWrap

3. Converting VB6 to VB.NET without a full VB6 project

4. Can't open VB6 because VB6 caused a stack fault in module VB6.EXE

5. Can't open VB6 because VB6 caused a stack fault in module VB6.EXE

6. vb6 or vb.net

7. Help! CDO + VB6 = VB.exe Fatal Exception

8. mailmerge with word97,2000,xp using vb.net,vb6

9. mailmerge with word97,2000,xp using vb6,vb.net

10. CDate of VB6.0 dll in VB.net....??

11. VB.Net dll for VB6

12. CDate of VB6.0 dll in VB.net....??