Permission of EXE ActiveX running IIS-W7 Classic ASP
Author Message
 Permission of EXE ActiveX running IIS-W7 Classic ASP

Hello-

Running VB6 object (EXE ActiveX) on IIS-7 Classic ASP page, get Err:
Permission denied

Sample of problem:

1. I create a EXE ActiveX with VB6, thats simple:

Project Name: Something
Class: Greeting
Code:
----------------------
Option Explicit

Public Function Hello()
    Hello = "Hello " + Format(Now, "hh:nn:ss")
End Function
----------------------

And generate EXE. Now I test it with any VB6 project:
------------------------
Option Explicit

Sub Main()
    Dim obj As Object
    Set obj = CreateObject("Something.Greeting")
    MsgBox obj.Hello
    Set obj = Nothing
End Sub
-------------------------
Works fine.

Not I create a new Web site, folder ASPTest, and any page, say Default.asp,
and put this:
--------------------------
<%
    Dim obj
    On Error Resume Next
    Set obj = CreateObject("Something.Greeting")

    If Err.Number = 0 Then
       Response.Write "<h1>" + obj.Hello + "</h1>"
       Set obj = Nothing
    Else
       Response.Write "Err: " & Err.Description
    End If
%>

Follow, I add a new Application ASPTest in IIS-W7, with Classic .NET AppPool.
I run: http://localhost/ASPTest
The Browser responses: Err: Permission denied

OK. I create a second ASP page, adoTest.asp, with this code:

<%
    Dim obj
    On Error Resume Next

    Set obj = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

    If Err.Number = 0 Then
       Response.Write "<h1>" + TypeName(obj) + "</h1>"
       Set obj = Nothing
    Else
       Response.Write "Err: " & Err.Description
    End If
%>

Run: http://localhost/ASPTest/adoTest.asp
Response: Recordset (works perfect). This second page say to me that ASP /
ActiveX works fine.

My question is: -How to give permissions of my EXE-ActiveX objects to run
over IIS (Windows 7)?

NOTE. I need and EXE ActiveX, not a DLL ActiveX due to I will going to works
with a client - server application.

--
Juan Marcial
Software Engineer

Mon, 30 Jul 2012 22:59:02 GMT
 Permission of EXE ActiveX running IIS-W7 Classic ASP

Hello-

Running VB6 object (EXE ActiveX) on IIS-7 Classic ASP page, get Err:
Permission denied

What type of security is your ASP app configured for? Anonymous? Basic? Could be that the identity
under which the ASP app is executing does not have sufficient permissions to launch the ActiveX EXE.

The following may help as well (The Client User Does Not Have Sufficient Permissions section):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/180384

Also, make certain that the Visual Basic runtime permissions are correct:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278751

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Tue, 31 Jul 2012 04:44:44 GMT
 Permission of EXE ActiveX running IIS-W7 Classic ASP
Thanks Paul

I tried ...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/180384
but ... This scenario applies to Windows 2000, Windows NT, Windows 95,
Windows 98, and Windows Millennium Edition (Me) servers

It seem to me does not apply to Windows 7, did not work

Now,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278751
does neither it solve the simple problem

Is it the real end of VB6 ?

--
Juan Marcial
Ingeniero de Software

Quote:

> Hello-
>
> Running VB6 object (EXE ActiveX) on IIS-7 Classic ASP page, get Err:
> Permission denied
>

> What type of security is your ASP app configured for? Anonymous? Basic? Could be that the identity
> under which the ASP app is executing does not have sufficient permissions to launch the ActiveX EXE.

> The following may help as well (The Client User Does Not Have Sufficient Permissions section):

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/180384

> Also, make certain that the Visual Basic runtime permissions are correct:

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278751

> Paul
> ~~~~
> Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
> .

Tue, 31 Jul 2012 22:21:02 GMT
 Permission of EXE ActiveX running IIS-W7 Classic ASP

Thanks Paul

I tried ...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/180384
but ... This scenario applies to Windows 2000, Windows NT, Windows 95,
Windows 98, and Windows Millennium Edition (Me) servers

It seem to me does not apply to Windows 7, did not work

Now,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278751
does neither it solve the simple problem

Is it the real end of VB6 ?

Well, yes it is the end of VB 6.0, but I don't think that is the problem here.

An ActiveX EXE is typically not run from an ASP app and you're probably encountering security
issues. In any event, you should be using an ActiveX DLL. Even in a client server configuration you
can host an ActiveX DLL in COM+ and access this component from an ASP app or a desktop app running
on another system on the network.

You can find the COM+ applet (Component Services) in Control Panel under Administrative Tools.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Sat, 04 Aug 2012 22:08:15 GMT

1. Permission Denied under IIS 5 running ASP.

2. IIS / MTS / ActiveX EXE - Error 70 : Permission Denied

3. Running a .bat or .exe through VBScript in IIS ASP

4. Debugging EXE ActiveX running under ASP

5. Simulate asp - run asp without iis

6. execute an exe file using asp with iis 4

7. Security issues while installing 3rd party Activex (ASP) components on IIS

8. Updating a Database with an Activex DLL in an ASP with IIS

9. ActiveX EXE 'Permission Denied'

10. variation between EXE and DLL activeX for IIS ?

11. activeX dll to provide ASP codes with IIS 5

12. Help! Problem with IIS and ActiveX-Exe