Build an MSI package of my app
Author Message
 Build an MSI package of my app

Hi All

I've been using InnoSetup to create an installer package of my app, which
works fine, but I've been asked if I can make it as an MSI so that they can
deploy it via GPO.

Does anybody know of a routine or free app (??) that I could use to build
such a thing?

I'm so used to InnoSetup's easy to follow scripting method, but I haven't
got a clue about MSI's.

Thanks

Mon, 16 Jan 2012 19:22:47 GMT
 Build an MSI package of my app

Quote:
> Hi All

> I've been using InnoSetup to create an installer package of my app, which
> works fine, but I've been asked if I can make it as an MSI so that they
> can
> deploy it via GPO.

> Does anybody know of a routine or free app (??) that I could use to build
> such a thing?

> I'm so used to InnoSetup's easy to follow scripting method, but I haven't
> got a clue about MSI's.

Only free one that I personally know of is Visual Studio Installer from
Microsoft.  You can download it here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa718352.aspx

It's not great and I certainly wouldn't say it's full-featured, but it is
free.

--
Mike

Mon, 16 Jan 2012 21:17:39 GMT
 Build an MSI package of my app

Quote:

> Hi All

> I've been using InnoSetup to create an installer package of my app, which
> works fine, but I've been asked if I can make it as an MSI so that they can
> deploy it via GPO.

> Does anybody know of a routine or free app (??) that I could use to build
> such a thing?

> I'm so used to InnoSetup's easy to follow scripting method, but I haven't
> got a clue about MSI's.

> Thanks

See the Tools section of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Installer

Mon, 16 Jan 2012 23:20:37 GMT
 Build an MSI package of my app

Quote:
> Hi All

> I've been using InnoSetup to create an installer package of my app, which
> works fine, but I've been asked if I can make it as an MSI so that they
> can
> deploy it via GPO.

> Does anybody know of a routine or free app (??) that I could use to build
> such a thing?

> I'm so used to InnoSetup's easy to follow scripting method, but I haven't
> got a clue about MSI's.

One option is to use PsExec instead of making MSI, search Inno group for
this.

If you want MSI, see these tools:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Installer#Tools

Microsoft Visual Studio Installer 1.1:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa718352.aspx

I suggest that you download VSI 1.1 even if you don't need it, MS will
probably removes the download link soon, just like they did with SP5. The
link came from here:

Visual Basic 6.0 Downloads
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbrun/aa662927.aspx

Tue, 17 Jan 2012 00:02:05 GMT

1. creating msi package

2. Problem with VBScript SUB for uninstalling .MSI packages

3. Distributing Reports using MSI packages

4. HOWTO: Check return values, boot status and (de)install status of MSI installations (Was: Problem with VBScript SUB for uninstalling .MSI packages)

5. Building the cabinet file in Package and Deployment Wizard

6. Info if building a package

7. Any commercial apps built with VBA?

8. Building Apps MS Outlook 2000- Help Desk custom

9. Newbie question about packaging apps

10. Building, Deploying Web App for Mac OS X server

11. Packaging Access 97 database along with VB6 App

12. error packaging the app