Strange output from TextMatrix
Author Message
 Strange output from TextMatrix

On a production machine, we had a strange output from the following
line of code:

grid.TextMatrix(nRow, COL_LASTVALUE) = Format(fLastValue, strFormat)

(where strFormat is ".00")
nRow and COL_LASTVALUE are value, so the quirk lies elsewhere.

The value that shows up occasionally in the cell is this:  -1.#IND

Since it is a production machine, we are unable to debug or step
through the code to see what fLastValue is equal to.  This line of
code runs on a timer, and sometimes the values that appear are valid
numbers; other times it is this strange output which I've never seen.
We've seen all kinds of things in development and testing, but this
one is new to me.  Any ideas?

Sat, 20 Aug 2011 00:32:41 GMT
 Strange output from TextMatrix

Quote:
> On a production machine, we had a strange output from the following
> line of code:

> grid.TextMatrix(nRow, COL_LASTVALUE) = Format(fLastValue, strFormat)

> (where strFormat is ".00")
> nRow and COL_LASTVALUE are value, so the quirk lies elsewhere.

> The value that shows up occasionally in the cell is this: ?-1.#IND

> Since it is a production machine, we are unable to debug or step
> through the code to see what fLastValue is equal to. ?This line of
> code runs on a timer, and sometimes the values that appear are valid
> numbers; other times it is this strange output which I've never seen.
> We've seen all kinds of things in development and testing, but this
> one is new to me. ?Any ideas?

Nevermind -- looks like it's trying to format infinite.

Sat, 20 Aug 2011 00:40:47 GMT
 Strange output from TextMatrix

Quote:

> Since it is a production machine, we are unable to debug or step
> through the code to see what fLastValue is equal to. This line of
> code runs on a timer, and sometimes the values that appear are valid
> numbers; other times it is this strange output which I've never seen.
> We've seen all kinds of things in development and testing, but this
> one is new to me. Any ideas?

For the future, on a production box or any box where you cannot install a
development package, checkout WinDbg. WinDbg is the Windows de{*filter*} which
can be installed with minimum impact - much like Dr. Watson or any of the
'trace' utilities. WinDbg combined with OutputDebugString, DebugBreak, and a
symbol-compiled program/component can provide a ton of information, very
quickly - again, in a very unobtrusive way.

Sat, 20 Aug 2011 01:28:52 GMT

1. VB5: Strange output to Data.txt...

2. ADO - strange output in openschema's method

3. Strange output from NetShareCheck...

4. VB.NET DATAGRID TEXTMATRIX, TEXTARRAY

5. Which's faster, TextArray or TextMatrix?

6. textmatrix subcript out of range in msflexgrid

7. Stranger In A Strange Land...

8. Strange Strange Error

9. Binary chars in output using Open xxxx For Output As #1

10. Output VBScript to two different output windows

11. How to write output to the Output/Debug window in Visual Studio

12. STRANGE STRANGE! Help Me!