New Tab Looks
Author Message
 New Tab Looks

First of all "Happy New Year" to all.

Using VB6 SP5

Is there anyway to have the new look for the tabs.
I use MS Tab Strip control from VB 5.

At least it gives me the XP Look.
Would really like to have the new Visual Studio tab look.

Any ideas?

--
Thanks in advance
Have a Great Day

Mon, 20 Jun 2011 21:26:47 GMT
 New Tab Looks
Hi Bob,

Not that I know of.  I think you'd have to roll your own tab control, which
isn't actually that hard.  You just have a control array of picture boxes,
hiding all of them but one in response to clicks on images or buttons that
form your tabs.

Quote:
> First of all "Happy New Year" to all.

> Using VB6 SP5

> Is there anyway to have the new look for the tabs.
> I use MS Tab Strip control from VB 5.

> At least it gives me the XP Look.
> Would really like to have the new Visual Studio tab look.

> Any ideas?

> --
> Thanks in advance
> Have a Great Day
> bob

Tue, 21 Jun 2011 09:22:55 GMT
 New Tab Looks
Sloppy and a waste of resources.

Better to draw your own tabs via a class module.

| Hi Bob,
|
| Not that I know of.  I think you'd have to roll your own tab control,
which
| isn't actually that hard.  You just have a control array of picture boxes,
| hiding all of them but one in response to clicks on images or buttons that
| form your tabs.
|

| > First of all "Happy New Year" to all.
| >
| > Using VB6 SP5
| >
| > Is there anyway to have the new look for the tabs.
| > I use MS Tab Strip control from VB 5.
| >
| > At least it gives me the XP Look.
| > Would really like to have the new Visual Studio tab look.
| >
| > Any ideas?
| >
| > --
| > Thanks in advance
| > Have a Great Day
| > bob

Tue, 21 Jun 2011 12:47:01 GMT
 New Tab Looks
  Jerry French (who hasn't been around for awhile)
wrote a nice simple, compact one:

http://www.jerryfrench.co.uk/etabsim.htm

  I adapted his ideas to make a less work-intensive
version that just uses labels in a PictureBox and
changes the highlighting with the Line method. It
only requires one small event sub, with no need to
keep track of the Paint event. (Though I have no idea
what an "XP look" tab is. Jerry's method may not
achieve that.)

Quote:
> Sloppy and a waste of resources.

> Better to draw your own tabs via a class module.

Tue, 21 Jun 2011 22:02:32 GMT
 New Tab Looks

Quote:
> (Though I have no idea
> what an "XP look" tab is

See the last two windows here:

http://www.restuner.com/tour-manifest.htm

The last one is using the XP look, notice the highlight over the tabs, and
how other controls look like. The one before it is the classic look.

See also:

INFO: Visual Basic 6.0 Does Not Support Windows XP Themes or Visual Styles
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309366/en-us

Tue, 21 Jun 2011 22:28:32 GMT
 New Tab Looks

Quote:

>> (Though I have no idea
>> what an "XP look" tab is

> See the last two windows here:

> http://www.restuner.com/tour-manifest.htm

> The last one is using the XP look, notice the highlight over the tabs, and
> how other controls look like. The one before it is the classic look.

"Real" XP look tabs have a gradient background, but this becomes a problem
when you want to use checkbox controls on them: they are not transparent. So
either you use a label for the checkbox caption (only a half-way workaround
because labels lack focus rect display), or a pretty wild hack where you are
left drawing the whole thing on your own.

don

Tue, 21 Jun 2011 23:33:11 GMT
 New Tab Looks

Quote:
>  Jerry French (who hasn't been around for awhile)
> wrote a nice simple, compact one:

> http://www.jerryfrench.co.uk/etabsim.htm

>  I adapted his ideas to make a less work-intensive
> version that just uses labels in a PictureBox and
> changes the highlighting with the Line method. It
> only requires one small event sub, with no need to
> keep track of the Paint event. (Though I have no idea
> what an "XP look" tab is. Jerry's method may not
> achieve that.)

That's a good sample that doesn't use API created windows, which is good, so
clicking on the tabs would invoke Validate event for other controls, and
could participate in TabStops. However, it doesn't add a focus rectangle,
which you can add by calling DrawFocusRect() API function.

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 01:05:38 GMT
 New Tab Looks

Quote:
> > (Though I have no idea
> > what an "XP look" tab is

> See the last two windows here:

> http://www.restuner.com/tour-manifest.htm

> The last one is using the XP look, notice the highlight over the tabs, and
> how other controls look like. The one before it is the classic look.

    I see. Thanks. The difference seems fairly subtle
to me, especially by comparison to the garish display
of the theme window frame "chrome". I've never used
a manifest for themes and never really noticed that my
sotware wasn't fully XP'ed. A matter of taste, I guess.

  It looks like the themes probably don't lend themselves
to owner-drawn controls like tabs, since the control would
likely have to be drawn differently for each theme.

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 11:41:53 GMT
 New Tab Looks
See if this one floats your boat
http://www.planetsourcecode.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=564...

Quote:
> First of all "Happy New Year" to all.

> Using VB6 SP5

> Is there anyway to have the new look for the tabs.
> I use MS Tab Strip control from VB 5.

> At least it gives me the XP Look.
> Would really like to have the new Visual Studio tab look.

> Any ideas?

> --
> Thanks in advance
> Have a Great Day
> bob

Fri, 24 Jun 2011 00:45:43 GMT
 New Tab Looks
http://vbaccelerator.com/home/VB/Code/Controls/Tab_Controls/index.asp

Fri, 24 Jun 2011 02:21:03 GMT
 New Tab Looks

Quote:

>  It looks like the themes probably don't lend themselves
> to owner-drawn controls like tabs, since the control would
> likely have to be drawn differently for each theme.

Nope, the different parts are all exposed via uxtheme.dll, eg:
DrawThemeBackground

It's probably a bit of work to use all those API from VB6 though.  (VB .NET
comes with a nice set of wrappers for them )

Fri, 24 Jun 2011 11:00:39 GMT
 New Tab Looks

Quote:
> >  It looks like the themes probably don't lend themselves
> > to owner-drawn controls like tabs, since the control would
> > likely have to be drawn differently for each theme.

> Nope, the different parts are all exposed via uxtheme.dll, eg:
> DrawThemeBackground

  Are you sure that applies in this case? It appears
to be a function for drawing known control windows. We're
talking about tabs that would be painted from scratch.
There's no way for Windows to know they're tabs and
there's no window handle involved.

Quote:
> It's probably a bit of work to use all those API from VB6 though.  (VB
.NET
> comes with a nice set of wrappers for them )

  Generally, APIs are fairly easy to use in VB. (And it
works even better when the particular API is actually
relevant.) You might want to try it. It would allow you
to drop that 70+ MB bloated .Net dependency full of
superfluous wrappers that you're dragging around.

  But if you really want to use VB.Net for some reason
you can find out about VB.Net tabs in the VB.Net group:

microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb

  In this group we're discussing VB.

Fri, 24 Jun 2011 12:44:44 GMT
 New Tab Looks
On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 14:00:39 +1100, "Bill McCarthy"

Quote:

>It's probably a bit of work to use all those API from VB6 though.  (VB .NET
>comes with a nice set of wrappers for them )

Now, stop that, Bill ...

You were doing so well until this post!

If .NET is so great, could you perhaps email me some code (mine's
valid as advertised) to rip audio data using DeviceIOControl, or maybe
defrag a drive?

I'm not really being confrontational (perhaps tongue in cheek,
though), but really ... why the transparent attempt at conversion?

You're a smart feller, so I can't possibly ascribe anything but
malicious or counterproductive motives to your constant espousing of
.NET in a classic VB group.

Happy new year, and may God have mercy on your soul. <g>

        J.
    Jeremiah D. Seitz
    Omega Techware
    http://www.omegatechware.net

Fri, 24 Jun 2011 12:44:07 GMT
 New Tab Looks

Quote:

>> >  It looks like the themes probably don't lend themselves
>> > to owner-drawn controls like tabs, since the control would
>> > likely have to be drawn differently for each theme.

>> Nope, the different parts are all exposed via uxtheme.dll, eg:
>> DrawThemeBackground
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb773289.aspx

>  Are you sure that applies in this case?

Yep.

Quote:
> It appears
> to be a function for drawing known control windows.

Known theme elements.

Quote:
> We're
> talking about tabs that would be painted from scratch.

Correct.

Quote:
> There's no way for Windows to know they're tabs and
> there's no window handle involved.

Wrong.  The tab control itself is a window, the tabss beign jsut one part
there-of.

Quote:
>> It's probably a bit of work to use all those API from VB6 though.  (VB
> .NET
>> comes with a nice set of wrappers for them )

>  Generally, APIs are fairly easy to use in VB. (And it
> works even better when the particular API is actually
> relevant.) You might want to try it.

LOL.  Thanks I've got plenty of experience using API from both VB6 and
VB.NET.  But that's besides the point.  I *know* this APi exists and works
because it is surfaced in .NET .  See :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.forms.visualst...

As you seem to be having some trouble seeing how uxtheme.dll can be used in
Vb6, I suggest you look at those wrappers., as a good starting point.

Fri, 24 Jun 2011 13:24:02 GMT
 New Tab Looks
Hi Jermiah,

<snip>

Quote:

> You're a smart feller, so I can't possibly ascribe anything but
> malicious or counterproductive motives

Nonsense.  Mayayana raised the question about theme'ing and tab controls.
He claimed you couldn't paint them using themes if owner drawn.  I know for
a fact he is wrong.  My *experience* in that area though stems from using
the wrappers in VB.NET, not at writing the API calls for VB6.  Still, a
quick look at the source points to uxtheme.dll, so I pointed in him in the
direction of both the API and the known wrapper.  What aversion some people
have to .NET is irrelevant.  Uxtheme.dll itself is most probably written in
C or C++.

Fri, 24 Jun 2011 13:28:42 GMT

 [ 25 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Looking for a good tab control

2. Looking for a VB 3.0 tab control

3. looking for a tabbed notebook control

4. LOOK:MultColText,256col,tab,tooltip etc

5. looking for specialty tab vbx

6. Looking for a Tabbed Dialog (.VBX) Control

7. Modern-looking tab control

8. subform tabs to new record?

9. NAVIGATING THE NEW TABS FORM

10. Problem - Update New Data On Tabbed Forms?

11. File New - change default active tab

12. Customising File New dialog Tabs in Word XP