Priniting the code in a VB 6 project: Printer issue
Author Message
 Priniting the code in a VB 6 project: Printer issue

Recently purchased a Brother HL-2170-W printer.

Works fine, if I print a single component, but if I tell VB to print the
entire
project, the 1st page of the 2nd component gets all screwed up.

As we speak, I am trying to print a project with 7 cxomponents. In this
case, the first page of of the 2nd and 3rd components was screwed up.
Components 4-7 printed correctly.

Anybody see this before?
I sure hope that it's a printer drive rproblem, as VB6 ain't gonna get
fixed.

Fri, 10 Dec 2010 08:35:01 GMT
 Priniting the code in a VB 6 project: Printer issue
just my 2c
probably not a fair review of an entire company's product line..but...
I've only had one Brother printer and it was nothing but trouble
Will never buy anything of that brand again
mark

Quote:
> Recently purchased a Brother HL-2170-W printer.

> Works fine, if I print a single component, but if I tell VB to print the
> entire
> project, the 1st page of the 2nd component gets all screwed up.

> As we speak, I am trying to print a project with 7 cxomponents. In this
> case, the first page of of the 2nd and 3rd components was screwed up.
> Components 4-7 printed correctly.

> Anybody see this before?
> I sure hope that it's a printer drive rproblem, as VB6 ain't gonna get
> fixed.

Fri, 10 Dec 2010 22:14:47 GMT
 Priniting the code in a VB 6 project: Printer issue

Quote:
> Recently purchased a Brother HL-2170-W printer.
> Works fine, if I print a single component, but if I tell
> VB to print the entire project, the 1st page of the 2nd
> component gets all screwed up.

Presumably it worked okay for you before with your previous printer? You
don't say whether you are using XP or Vista or whatever, but if it is Vista
there are some printing problems with VB (Printer.Font.UnderLine for
example) that were fixed in Vista Service Pack1, so perhaps you might like
to install that.

Otherwise, have you installed the latest driver for your printer, from the
manufacturer's website. That's the very first thing I would do. Have you
looked at:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/BSC/Public/Templates/DownloadTop...

Have you tried installing a PDF printer driver. There are various freeware
pdf printer drivers available (PDFCReator from SourceForge.net for example
and something called pdf995) but I'm not sure which of them work in Vista
(if that's what you're using). What happens if you print your project to a
pdf driver and then print the resultant pdf file to your Brother printer?

Mike

Sat, 11 Dec 2010 00:45:17 GMT
 Priniting the code in a VB 6 project: Printer issue

Quote:
> Presumably it worked okay for you before with your previous printer? You
> don't say whether you are using XP or Vista or whatever, but if it is
Vista
> there are some printing problems with VB (Printer.Font.UnderLine for
> example) that were fixed in Vista Service Pack1, so perhaps you might like
> to install that.

I also have a Lexmark printer, no problem printing the VB stuff here.
The Lexmark printer is installed on a Win 2000 system.
The Brother printer is a network printer thru a router.

I am printing the VB stuff from the Win 2000 system.

The Vista system came with SP 1 pre-installed, but that's not where I am
printing the VB stuff.

Quote:
> Otherwise, have you installed the latest driver for your printer, from the
> manufacturer's website. That's the very first thing I would do. Have you
> looked at:

I have installed from the CD that came with the printer, just purchased this
month.
Not yet checked whether there is a more recent driver.

Quote:
> Have you tried installing a PDF printer driver. There are various freeware
> pdf printer drivers available (PDFCReator from SourceForge.net for example
> and something called pdf995) but I'm not sure which of them work in Vista
> (if that's what you're using). What happens if you print your project to a
> pdf driver and then print the resultant pdf file to your Brother printer?

PDF works fine.
It's the PCL directly to the printer that gets screwed up.

Sat, 11 Dec 2010 02:17:43 GMT
 Priniting the code in a VB 6 project: Printer issue

Quote:
> PDF works fine.
> It's the PCL directly to the printer that gets screwed up.

No problem then. Print to the pdf driver until you manage to downlaod a
properly working driver for your new Brother printer! Check the link I
posted and download the latest driver for your Brother printer from there.
The Lord helps those who help themselves ;-)

Mike

Sat, 11 Dec 2010 04:55:03 GMT
 Priniting the code in a VB 6 project: Printer issue

Quote:
> No problem then. Print to the pdf driver until you manage to downlaod a
> properly working driver for your new Brother printer! Check the link I
> posted and download the latest driver for your Brother printer from there.

Butt, your link is to the UK.
I'm afraid to drive on the wrong side of the road.

I've downloaded drivers from USA site.

Sat, 11 Dec 2010 06:00:16 GMT
 Priniting the code in a VB 6 project: Printer issue

Quote:
> I retired my brother network printer a while ago now, but I recall there
is
> an end of page setting or similar in the printer properties dialogue that
> always had to change to get it working properly

Thanx

I looked for that setting, did not find.
In any case, that would npt explain why, in a prohect of 7 components, only
the 2nd and 3rd printed incorrectly.

I seem to recall a similr problem with an old NEC printer.

Sat, 11 Dec 2010 09:37:42 GMT
 Priniting the code in a VB 6 project: Printer issue
I downloaded the latest printer drivers, problem persists.

Problem occurs on with the Brother printer, not with the Lexmark or PDF
printers.

Brother loses it when Form images are printed.
The first page of a component printed after a Form image gets messed up.

Tue, 14 Dec 2010 22:42:11 GMT
 Priniting the code in a VB 6 project: Printer issue
Try reducing the print output quality settings.  Perhaps the printer is
running out of memory, and is getting confused.  On the other hand if the
printer is as old as me, it could also be Alzheimer's. :-)

Rdub

Quote:
>I downloaded the latest printer drivers, problem persists.

> Problem occurs on with the Brother printer, not with the Lexmark or PDF
> printers.

> Brother loses it when Form images are printed.
> The first page of a component printed after a Form image gets messed up.

Wed, 15 Dec 2010 05:02:52 GMT
 Priniting the code in a VB 6 project: Printer issue

Quote:
> Try reducing the print output quality settings.  Perhaps the printer is
> running out of memory, and is getting confused.  On the other hand if the
> printer is as old as me, it could also be Alzheimer's. :-)

Brand new printer HL-2170W.
As I recall, it has 32MB of memory.
And, I've got plenty of page file.

I posted the issue in comp.periphs.printers.
I expect that other Brother users will see the post, maybeeven a Brother
employee.
But they have understand VB projects to understand the issue.

Wed, 15 Dec 2010 10:18:17 GMT
 Priniting the code in a VB 6 project: Printer issue

Quote:
> Brand new printer HL-2170W.
> As I recall, it has 32MB of memory.
> And, I've got plenty of page file.

I very rarely print my code, and when I do I usually paste it into a word
processor for finer control, and I never print a complete project which
includes the all the code and the bitmaps of the Forms, but I've just tried
it now and I notice that VB prints the Form image at its full logical size
and it truncates that image if it is too large to fit onto the page, rather
than resizing it. I wonder if VB actually sends only the part of the output
that will fit onto the page, or whether it simply send the lot and relies on
the printer DC truncating it. On most printers I've used it makes no
difference which method you use, but I do seem to recall the odd printer
I've had in the past throwing a bit of a wobbler on the pages following an
attempt to print stuff outside the printable area of a page. Perhaps that is
part of the problem, in which case it would be a driver problem?

Mike

Wed, 15 Dec 2010 13:31:36 GMT
 Priniting the code in a VB 6 project: Printer issue
I rarely print Form images, it is usually better  to get a screenshot of the
form and print the screen shoot.

Wed, 15 Dec 2010 21:58:24 GMT
 Priniting the code in a VB 6 project: Printer issue

Quote:
> I rarely print Form images, it is usually better  to get a
> screenshot of the form and print the screen shoot.

. . . but I though that was exactly what you were doing? I seem to recall
you saying that you were using the VB IDE File / Print menu to print your
entire project, including all its code an image all of its Forms. In fact I
seem to remember you saying that the problem you are asking for a solution
to occurred *only* on the pages that were printed immediately after a page
containing a Form image? Is that not what you said? And is that not what you
are doing?

Mike

Thu, 16 Dec 2010 01:47:13 GMT
 Priniting the code in a VB 6 project: Printer issue

Quote:
> I rarely print Form images, it is usually better  to get a
> screenshot of the form and print the screen shoot.

. . . the following is *exactly* what you said:

Quote:
> [23 June 08] "Works fine, if I print a single component, but
> if I tell VB to print the entire project, the 1st page of the 2nd
> component gets all screwed up.
> [27 June 08] Problem occurs on with the Brother printer, not
> with the Lexmark or PDF printers. Brother loses it when Form
> images are printed. The first page of a component printed after
> a Form image gets messed up.

That is why I offered you my comments regarding the fact that "telling VB to
print an entire project" causes it to print any Forms at their full logical
size, thereby causing the output to clip at the edge of the page when the
logical size of the Form is larger than the physical size of the printable
area of the page, and it is also why I told you about some printers I had
come across in the past that had exactly the same problem you mentioned
under such conditions.

Are you now saying that you were telling us lies of those two occasions, and
that therefore my input is of no use to you?

Mike

Thu, 16 Dec 2010 05:09:26 GMT
 Priniting the code in a VB 6 project: Printer issue

Quote:
> . . . but I though that was exactly what you were doing? I seem to recall
> you saying that you were using the VB IDE File / Print menu to print your
> entire project, including all its code an image all of its Forms. In fact
> seem to remember you saying that the problem you are asking for a solution
> to occurred *only* on the pages that were printed immediately after a page
> containing a Form image? Is that not what you said? And is that not what
you
> are doing?

Yes, but I do not do that often.

Thu, 16 Dec 2010 11:20:37 GMT

 [ 16 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. HELP: Issuing printer control codes in VB5

2. HELP: Issuing printer control codes in VB5

3. International Issues - Locale Code Page Vs. VB Code Page

4. Using HP Printer Escape Sequences (aka Printer Passthrough Codes) in VB.Net

5. Retrieving code from a print file of vb project code (vb6)

6. How to change the printer driver for a defined printer in VB code

7. VB in a MS Access Database (Printer Issues)

8. Issue with downloading Attachments thru' VB code

9. VB 3 to 4 Code Porting Issues

10. Priniting the datagrid

11. How to void priniting blank reports?

12. VB 6.0 project to VB.NET project ?