Drag and drop to system tray Icon
Author Message
 Drag and drop to system tray Icon

I have to admit I thought I would be able to find this question on Google
Groups or Planet Source code, but after several hours of searching I have
come up blank. Maybe I am not searching correctly. :-)

I have found a lot of examples of drag and drop to a form, but none on how
to drag and drop to an icon placed in the system tray.

I really thought that just activating the OleDrop on the the form would
allow me to drop files to the icon. Silly me for thinking it would be that
simple. Can anyone point me in the direction I would have to go to get the
drag and drop that works on the form to respond to the NotifyIcon.

Thanks,
Norm

Tue, 16 Oct 2012 08:26:48 GMT
 Drag and drop to system tray Icon

Quote:
> I have to admit I thought I would be able to find this question on
> Google Groups or Planet Source code, but after several hours of
> searching I have come up blank. Maybe I am not searching correctly. :-)

> I have found a lot of examples of drag and drop to a form, but none on
> how to drag and drop to an icon placed in the system tray.

> I really thought that just activating the OleDrop on the the form would
> allow me to drop files to the icon. Silly me for thinking it would be
> that simple. Can anyone point me in the direction I would have to go to
> get the drag and drop that works on the form to respond to the NotifyIcon.

I don't think this is possible.

I've never seen any application that does it or seen any interfaces/APIs
that would suggest it is possible.

It won't use the forms properties as it's not tied to a form at all
(beyond an hWnd to send messages to)

--

i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)

Tue, 16 Oct 2012 16:44:11 GMT
 Drag and drop to system tray Icon
Not sure if it's possible to drag a file to system tray icon.  You
can, however, drag a file to a desktop or taskbar icon to open if you
have Command$ parsing in your program.

Tue, 16 Oct 2012 23:10:46 GMT
 Drag and drop to system tray Icon
I am not sure if this is possible, but the term used for this is "Drop
Target". The easiest thing to do is to make a borderless form, say of a size
of 32x32, or 64x64, and make it topmost. Add a right click popup menu so the
user can exit from it(See "PopupMenu method" in MSDN).

Another choice, is to create an icon on the desktop and make it a drop
target, but this can be easily covered by other windows. Download "Shell
Extensions", "Shell Extensions [FIX - Missing files]", and "OLELIB.TLB - OLE
interfaces & functions v1.7" files below. This install many shell extension
samples, including a desktop icon acting as a drop target called "Edanmo's
File Shredder". When you drop files on it, it prompts you if you really want
to delete the files. This works like the Recycle Bin.

Namespace Edanmo - Visual Basic 6
http://www.mvps.org/emorcillo/en/code/vb6/index.shtml

Wed, 17 Oct 2012 00:01:46 GMT
 Drag and drop to system tray Icon

Quote:

>> I have to admit I thought I would be able to find this question on
>> Google Groups or Planet Source code, but after several hours of
>> searching I have come up blank. Maybe I am not searching correctly. :-)

>> I have found a lot of examples of drag and drop to a form, but none on
>> how to drag and drop to an icon placed in the system tray.

>> I really thought that just activating the OleDrop on the the form would
>> allow me to drop files to the icon. Silly me for thinking it would be
>> that simple. Can anyone point me in the direction I would have to go to
>> get the drag and drop that works on the form to respond to the
>> NotifyIcon.

> I don't think this is possible.

> I've never seen any application that does it or seen any interfaces/APIs
> that would suggest it is possible.

> It won't use the forms properties as it's not tied to a form at all
> (beyond an hWnd to send messages to)

This is also kinda backed up by the "show hidden icons" not being
activated when you drag over it (on route to dropping on a hidden icon)

--

i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)

Wed, 17 Oct 2012 00:29:13 GMT
 Drag and drop to system tray Icon

Quote:
> I am not sure if this is possible, but the term used for this is "Drop
> Target". The easiest thing to do is to make a borderless form, say of a
> size of 32x32, or 64x64, and make it topmost. Add a right click popup menu
> so the user can exit from it(See "PopupMenu method" in MSDN).

> Another choice, is to create an icon on the desktop and make it a drop
> target, but this can be easily covered by other windows. Download "Shell
> Extensions", "Shell Extensions [FIX - Missing files]", and "OLELIB.TLB -
> OLE interfaces & functions v1.7" files below. This install many shell
> extension samples, including a desktop icon acting as a drop target called
> "Edanmo's File Shredder". When you drop files on it, it prompts you if you
> really want to delete the files. This works like the Recycle Bin.

> Namespace Edanmo - Visual Basic 6
> http://www.mvps.org/emorcillo/en/code/vb6/index.shtml

Thanks for the information and I was about to post a url to a program that
did let you drop and drag to the System bar, but when I re-installed it I
found I was wrong, a senior moment perhaps. :-) The program has added a
right click context menu to windows explorer to allow you to use the program
without opening it.

I think for my uses I will try to add the right click option to the windows
explorer context menu, as I usually keep all my desktop Icons hidden, I
personally hate looking at the icons in front of my nice wallpaper picture.
:-)

Thanks again for all the suggestions and I will look at Edanmo's shell
function's, I have visited his site before and will do so again.

Norm

Wed, 17 Oct 2012 04:41:57 GMT

1. Drag and drop to an icon in hte system tray

2. Drag and Drop to System Tray

3. Drag and drop to the system tray.

4. drag and drop onto the system tray

5. CoolHide - Help you hide/minimize window to Tray and hide icons from the system tray

6. CoolHide - Help you hide/minimize window to Tray and hide icons from the system tray

7. removing system tray icon without a icon picture.

8. Q: Problems with System Tray functionality in VB5 and question about TaskBar/System Tray

9. OLE DRAG & DROP on icon in the System-Tray

10. System tray icon doesn't get updated

11. How to remove Mail icon from system tray?

12. New Mail System Tray Icon