Remove an Entry from Available References
Author Message
 Remove an Entry from Available References

When I start a VB6 proejct, the list of available references contains
several DUPLICATE entries.
These are as a result of me developing a DLL, and testing it, and creating
different versions during testing.

As a result, I now have several entries in my Available References list, all
pointing to different versions of my DLL.

Now that my testing is complete, I wish to remove the "bad" references.....
but I can find no way that I can do this.
Even if I delete the DLL files physically, they still show up in the
"Available" list.

How can I delete/remove these entries from the Available references in VB6 ?

Note: I know how to remove them from my project; I want to know how to
remove them from the "vanilla" VB6 app.

Thanks

Wed, 15 Dec 2010 00:46:17 GMT
 Remove an Entry from Available References

Quote:
> When I start a VB6 proejct, the list of available references contains
> several DUPLICATE entries.
> These are as a result of me developing a DLL, and testing it, and creating
> different versions during testing.

> As a result, I now have several entries in my Available References list,
> all pointing to different versions of my DLL.

> Now that my testing is complete, I wish to remove the "bad"
> references..... but I can find no way that I can do this.
> Even if I delete the DLL files physically, they still show up in the
> "Available" list.

> How can I delete/remove these entries from the Available references in VB6
> ?

> Note: I know how to remove them from my project; I want to know how to
> remove them from the "vanilla" VB6 app.

Well, since they've been deleted, this probably won't work for you now, but
you COULD have tried regsvr32 /u <your DLL> before deleting them.

As it stands, you'll probably have to search the registry and get rid of
them manually or use some sort of registry cleaner.

Wed, 15 Dec 2010 01:15:03 GMT
 Remove an Entry from Available References
Wow, Jeff, thanks for the info/tip.

Unfortunately a person can manually ADD entries, but cannot DELETE them.

I did do the RegSvr32 /u <mydll>, but that did not remove them from the
"available" list.

The Registry Cleaner did the trick (once I had deleted the physical DLL
file(s) I didn't want anymore).

Thanks again

Quote:

>> When I start a VB6 proejct, the list of available references contains
>> several DUPLICATE entries.
>> These are as a result of me developing a DLL, and testing it, and
>> creating different versions during testing.

>> As a result, I now have several entries in my Available References list,
>> all pointing to different versions of my DLL.

>> Now that my testing is complete, I wish to remove the "bad"
>> references..... but I can find no way that I can do this.
>> Even if I delete the DLL files physically, they still show up in the
>> "Available" list.

>> How can I delete/remove these entries from the Available references in
>> VB6 ?

>> Note: I know how to remove them from my project; I want to know how to
>> remove them from the "vanilla" VB6 app.

> Well, since they've been deleted, this probably won't work for you now,
> but you COULD have tried regsvr32 /u <your DLL> before deleting them.

> As it stands, you'll probably have to search the registry and get rid of
> them manually or use some sort of registry cleaner.

Wed, 15 Dec 2010 04:55:05 GMT
 Remove an Entry from Available References
Thanks Jeff, a reg Cleaner did it for me.

It's too bad though.... MS allows me (us) to manually add References, but
doesn't allow us to manually remove them.

Gary

Quote:

>> When I start a VB6 proejct, the list of available references contains
>> several DUPLICATE entries.
>> These are as a result of me developing a DLL, and testing it, and
>> creating different versions during testing.

>> As a result, I now have several entries in my Available References list,
>> all pointing to different versions of my DLL.

>> Now that my testing is complete, I wish to remove the "bad"
>> references..... but I can find no way that I can do this.
>> Even if I delete the DLL files physically, they still show up in the
>> "Available" list.

>> How can I delete/remove these entries from the Available references in
>> VB6 ?

>> Note: I know how to remove them from my project; I want to know how to
>> remove them from the "vanilla" VB6 app.

> Well, since they've been deleted, this probably won't work for you now,
> but you COULD have tried regsvr32 /u <your DLL> before deleting them.

> As it stands, you'll probably have to search the registry and get rid of
> them manually or use some sort of registry cleaner.

Mon, 20 Dec 2010 23:26:25 GMT
 Remove an Entry from Available References

Quote:
> Thanks Jeff, a reg Cleaner did it for me.

> It's too bad though.... MS allows me (us) to manually add References, but
> doesn't allow us to manually remove them.

I assume you mean within the IDE because MS *does* provide a way to manually
register/unregister ActiveX components...and that's the regsvr32.exe command
line tool. I recommend you associate this tool with DLL and OCX files. Here
are 2 .reg files to do this:

For DLL files
-------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\shell\Register]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dllfile\shell\Unregister]

-------------------

For OCX files
-------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ocxfile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ocxfile\shell\Register]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ocxfile\shell\Unregister]

-------------------

Copy and paste the text between the pairs of dashed lines into Notepad and
save each with a file having a .reg extension. Be sure to change the name of
the Windows folder (and perhaps the drive letter as well) as appropriate for
your system. Once saved, double-click each file to add the information to
the Registry.  Now, when you right-click a DLL or OCX file in Windows
Explorer (and many Explorer-style dialog boxes like File Open or File Save),
you'll have Register and Unregister commands.

--
Mike
Microsoft MVP Visual Basic

Tue, 21 Dec 2010 23:02:33 GMT

1. Remove Entry from Project References

2. removing an Available Reference.

3. Removing entries from Add/Remove list in control panel

4. Removing ActiveX exe references from project->references

5. removing a reference item from the project references option

6. removing an entry through VBA

7. Removing an entry from a GET/PUT DB?

8. Removing registry entries

9. Registry entry remove problem!

10. Help to remove ActiveX dll registry key entries

11. Removing a Start Program Entry

12. Remove Listview entries, How?