Distributing excel reference to client that doesnt have excel
Author Message
 Distributing excel reference to client that doesnt have excel

Hello all,

I am distributing an app that references Microsoft Excel Object
Library.
My problem is some of the clients do not have Office installed.
Can I have the client install the Office Primary Interop Assemblies
(Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll) in order to utilize the code

Or do I need to use some sort of late binding to detect if Office is
installed and bail out then?

Thanks in advance

Sun, 12 Jun 2011 02:42:46 GMT
 Distributing excel reference to client that doesnt have excel

Quote:
> Hello all,

> I am distributing an app that references Microsoft Excel Object
> Library.
> My problem is some of the clients do not have Office installed.
> Can I have the client install the Office Primary Interop Assemblies
> (Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll) in order to utilize the code

> Or do I need to use some sort of late binding to detect if Office is
> installed and bail out then?

This seems to be your first post in this group. If you are using DotNet, you
may want to ask in one of the following groups:

DotNet have their own groups which contain either "dotnet" or "vsnet" in the
name, and questions related to DotNet are considered off topic to the *.vb*
groups. If the group has "vb" in the name without "dotnet", then it's for
VB6(Classic VB) and lower only.

Thank you

Sun, 12 Jun 2011 03:16:14 GMT
 Distributing excel reference to client that doesnt have excel

Quote:

> > Hello all,

> > I am distributing an app that references Microsoft Excel Object
> > Library.
> > My problem is some of the clients do not have Office installed.
> > Can I have the client install the Office Primary Interop Assemblies
> > (Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll) in order to utilize the code

> > Or do I need to use some sort of late binding to detect if Office is
> > installed and bail out then?

> This seems to be your first post in this group. If you are using DotNet, you
> may want to ask in one of the following groups:

> DotNet have their own groups which contain either "dotnet" or "vsnet" in the
> name, and questions related to DotNet are considered off topic to the *.vb*
> groups. If the group has "vb" in the name without "dotnet", then it's for
> VB6(Classic VB) and lower only.

> Thank you

Ok..to clarify this is for VB6.
I have read that with .NET the PIA can be utilized to distribute code
to clients that do not have office installed.
Was hoping for something similar in VB6...perhaps using COM
ADOX...does anyone know or have examples

thanks again

Sun, 12 Jun 2011 03:40:36 GMT
 Distributing excel reference to client that doesnt have excel

Hello all,

I am distributing an app that references Microsoft Excel Object
Library.
My problem is some of the clients do not have Office installed.
Can I have the client install the Office Primary Interop Assemblies
(Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll) in order to utilize the code

Or do I need to use some sort of late binding to detect if Office is
installed and bail out then?

Thanks in advance

It would be of no consequence. The type libraries or interop libraries do not provide the actual
functionality. The bottom line is that the Office application must be installed.

In addition, if different versions are an issue you should always code to the minimum supported
version and use the type library for that version when implementing early binding. Otherwise late
binding would be the alternative.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Sun, 12 Jun 2011 03:51:12 GMT
 Distributing excel reference to client that doesnt have excel
Hi Chuck,

Quote:

> Ok..to clarify this is for VB6.
> I have read that with .NET the PIA can be utilized to distribute code
> to clients that do not have office installed.
> Was hoping for something similar in VB6...perhaps using COM
> ADOX...does anyone know or have examples

PIA's are simply managed wrappers. You still need the office runtimes.

Sun, 12 Jun 2011 08:02:26 GMT
 Distributing excel reference to client that doesnt have excel
Hi Chuck,

You can't distribute the excel runtimes, so you'll have to resort to late
binding. IF oyu are doign much wiht the excel object that could be rather
annoying unless you put the object model bound code into another dll, and
late bind to that, catching the load failure.

Quote:
> Hello all,

> I am distributing an app that references Microsoft Excel Object
> Library.
> My problem is some of the clients do not have Office installed.
> Can I have the client install the Office Primary Interop Assemblies
> (Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll) in order to utilize the code

> Or do I need to use some sort of late binding to detect if Office is
> installed and bail out then?

> Thanks in advance

Sun, 12 Jun 2011 08:01:09 GMT

1. Using an Excel file without having Microsoft Excel installed

2. Printing in Excel Without Having Excel

3. Urgent - Check the installation of EXCEL or EXCEL Viewer on Client

4. Help Excel 1997 to Excel 2000 VBA references

5. How to call an Excel macro (contained in a xla ) having parameters using DDE

6. having excel send an outlook email message when a field is changed

7. having an excel object with editing inside IE?

8. Having trouble putting Excel workbook into SQL Server

9. distributing excel.exe with my VB app.

10. Distributing Custom Toolbars for Excel

11. Legal to Distribute Excel Object Library?

12. Distributing Excel Object Library