Reading Stack from VB6
Author Message
 Reading Stack from VB6

If you have a problem /bug and you want to check the stack how to do that in
VB6? Can it be done without writing code?

Thanks

Mon, 15 Aug 2011 22:31:25 GMT
 Reading Stack from VB6

Quote:
> If you have a problem /bug and you want to check the stack how to do that
in
> VB6? Can it be done without writing code?

> Thanks

In the IDE use "Call Stack" contrl-L (Debug Menu)

If in a compiled executable use DebugBreak() and the VC++ de{*filter*}
(CodeView) or WinDbg. (or also Dr. Watson or other just-in-time de{*filter*})

http:

Mon, 15 Aug 2011 01:02:48 GMT
 Reading Stack from VB6

Quote:

> If you have a problem /bug and you want to check the stack how to do that in
> VB6? Can it be done without writing code?

I'm curious how you got yourself in a situation, with ClassicVB, where this desire
came to be?  I've been using it since the get-go, and I've never once thought that'd
help me understand my own code.
--
.NET: It's About Trust!
 http://vfred.mvps.org

Mon, 15 Aug 2011 01:14:41 GMT
 Reading Stack from VB6
To clarify, "DebugBreak" is not an internal VB function, you have to declare
a WinAPI call:

Private Declare Sub DebugBreak Lib "kernel32" Alias "DebugBreak" ()

-ralph

Mon, 15 Aug 2011 01:08:57 GMT
 Reading Stack from VB6

Quote:

> > If you have a problem /bug and you want to check the stack how to do
that in
> > VB6? Can it be done without writing code?

> I'm curious how you got yourself in a situation, with ClassicVB, where
this desire
> came to be?  I've been using it since the get-go, and I've never once
thought that'd
> help me understand my own code.
> --

lol

This post also struck me as odd, especially since the Call Stack View is a
simple menu click. I suspect the OP is really looking for some kind of
static "call trace".

-ralph

Mon, 15 Aug 2011 01:20:17 GMT
 Reading Stack from VB6

Quote:

>> > If you have a problem /bug and you want to check the stack how to do that in
>> > VB6? Can it be done without writing code?

>> I'm curious how you got yourself in a situation, with ClassicVB, where this
>> desire
>> came to be?  I've been using it since the get-go, and I've never once thought
>> that'd help me understand my own code.

> lol

> This post also struck me as odd, especially since the Call Stack View is a
> simple menu click. I suspect the OP is really looking for some kind of
> static "call trace".

I was thinking more in terms of him wanting to look at pushed parameters, and such,
in addition to return addresses.  Just seemed so incredibly retro, y'know?
--
.NET: It's About Trust!
 http://vfred.mvps.org

Mon, 15 Aug 2011 01:57:33 GMT
 Reading Stack from VB6

> If you have a problem /bug and you want to check the stack how to do that
> in VB6? Can it be done without writing code?

Not from inside VB6 code as such. You have to attach an external de{*filter*} or
use the IDE.

Mon, 15 Aug 2011 10:23:25 GMT
 Reading Stack from VB6

Quote:

> If you have a problem /bug and you want to check the stack how to do
> that in VB6? Can it be done without writing code?

I use a combination of the free add-ins HuntERR (no longer readily
available) and MZ-Tools to insert my error handlers and add line numbers.
If, or when, an error occurs I get a stack trace with line numbers - which
then gets emailed to me (if I'm not using the IDE).

So, theoretically, I don't actually write the code - just click a button to
insert a handler (of a few lines) into each sub/function.

Mon, 15 Aug 2011 11:44:23 GMT
 Reading Stack from VB6
You can do this and I have used the relevant code myself. It's particularly
useful for generating diagnostics from the field (i.e. from live customer
sites with there is no IDE or source code available) to be passed back to
Support engineers for evaluation. However, there are a few issues with the
way VB exceptions work that make it less useful than it should be

See
http://groups.google.ie/group/comp.lang.basic.visual.misc/msg/29757bf....
The original "black belt" link for the code may have moved or disappeared
after all this time but it's worth hunting around for it

    Tony Proctor

Quote:
> If you have a problem /bug and you want to check the stack how to do that
> in VB6? Can it be done without writing code?

> Thanks

Sat, 03 Sep 2011 04:01:40 GMT

1. Can't open VB6 because VB6 caused a stack fault in module VB6.EXE

2. Can't open VB6 because VB6 caused a stack fault in module VB6.EXE

3. Reading stacked information

4. Reading parameter from the stack

5. Reading parameters from the stack

6. reading bp-dll -> stack problem

7. Increase stack size in VB6?

8. Out of Stack Space crashing VB6

9. VB6 / SP2 Information searched for call stack in runtime

10. Stack API's: Getting the VB Stack

11. read file contents using vba ort vb6?

12. Reading a .msg email with VB6.0 - How?