Why doesn't VB6 find the correct path? 
Author Message
 Why doesn't VB6 find the correct path?

Hello!

When I want to re-save a module that is in the same folder as the
application project like this

m:\myapp\MyApp.prj
m:\myapp\MyModule.bas

it won't find this path and VB6 offers me some place in the MyDocuments
directory instead.
Does anybody have the same problem or knows what to do?

Thanks for the reply.
Reiner Schlegel



Sat, 11 Feb 2012 06:37:56 GMT  
 Why doesn't VB6 find the correct path?


Quote:
> Hello!

> When I want to re-save a module that is in the same folder as the
> application project like this

> m:\myapp\MyApp.prj
> m:\myapp\MyModule.bas

> it won't find this path and VB6 offers me some place in the MyDocuments
> directory instead.
> Does anybody have the same problem or knows what to do?

The default location for saving files is the location where VB6.exe is
launched. Pre-Vista this location was C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Basic\VB98, thus that is the default. With Vista - programs are prevented
from writing to the "Program Files" folders, so you are redirected to a
local user "App Data" space.

The simplest solution is to create a short-cut to "M:\myapp\MyApp.vbp" and
open VB6 that way. If using Vista, you should also make sure it is "running
as Admin".

-ralph



Sat, 11 Feb 2012 19:17:27 GMT  
 Why doesn't VB6 find the correct path?


Quote:



>> Hello!

>> When I want to re-save a module that is in the same folder as the
>> application project like this

>> m:\myapp\MyApp.prj
>> m:\myapp\MyModule.bas

>> it won't find this path and VB6 offers me some place in the MyDocuments
>> directory instead.
>> Does anybody have the same problem or knows what to do?

> The default location for saving files is the location where VB6.exe is
> launched.

Furthermore, that's only when launching VB6 from it's shortcut or
double-clicking the VB6.exe file.  If you double-click a project file or
source code module file, the default folder will be that file's folder.

--
Mike



Sat, 11 Feb 2012 21:37:51 GMT  
 Why doesn't VB6 find the correct path?

Quote:
> The simplest solution is to create a short-cut to "M:\myapp\MyApp.vbp" and
> open VB6 that way. If using Vista, you should also make sure it is
> "running
> as Admin".

Like what Ralph suggested and probably said elsewhere, you can copy VB6
shortcut to the desktop, and set the "Start in" path to the folder where you
usually save your projects. This way, VB would default to that folder.


Sat, 11 Feb 2012 23:38:45 GMT  
 Why doesn't VB6 find the correct path?


Quote:



> > Hello!

> > When I want to re-save a module that is in the same folder as the
> > application project like this

> > m:\myapp\MyApp.prj
> > m:\myapp\MyModule.bas

> > it won't find this path and VB6 offers me some place in the MyDocuments
> > directory instead.
> > Does anybody have the same problem or knows what to do?

> The default location for saving files is the location where VB6.exe is
> launched. Pre-Vista this location was C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
> Basic\VB98, thus that is the default. With Vista - programs are prevented
> from writing to the "Program Files" folders, so you are redirected to a
> local user "App Data" space.

> The simplest solution is to create a short-cut to "M:\myapp\MyApp.vbp" and
> open VB6 that way. If using Vista, you should also make sure it is
"running
> as Admin".

Beating a dead horse ... ha

But what I tried to say above about Vista came out slightly miss-leading.

The default "save" location is where VB6 is launched from. So if one uses
the installed default shortcut for launching VB6 - the "save" location is
therefore the default location of VB6.exe which is "drive:\Program
Files\Microsoft Visual Basic\VB98". Previous to Vista you could save project
files to this location or to any subfolder. With Vista you are prevented
from writing to "Program Files", thus Vista does a little compatibility
magic and translates this to a User AppData folder. (You can change where
you would like this to be.)

I initially thought it would have been nice if VB had offered a Project
option to set the 'working folder/s', but I have since found that using
shortcuts is a pretty handy feature, which I abuse a great deal.
    You can launch a project/s from either a shortcut to the Project (.vbp)
or from various Group files (.vbg). Creating a shortcut to these files
allows you to change the icon and add a comment. The comment shows up when
mousing over the icon in Explorer. It helps to bring a little organization
when you have a couple of zillion projects lying around (gross
exaggeration).

-ralph



Sun, 12 Feb 2012 00:36:59 GMT  
 Why doesn't VB6 find the correct path?
Thanks for all the replies.

That cleared it up!

Reiner



Sun, 12 Feb 2012 17:39:14 GMT  
 
 [ 6 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. fRefreshLinks Doesn't work if path doesn't exist

2. VB6, Why doesn't work this bookmark?

3. VB6, why doesn't work this bookmark?

4. VB6 - Why doesn't this code work????

5. VB6 IDE Find doesn't

6. Why oh why doesn't this work?

7. Finding Correct Path

8. objFolder.Size not finding correct path.

9. Dblist doesn't seem to work correct

10. Clipboard.SetText doesn't set the correct font name

11. Form doesn't show correct

12. HELP: rdoresultset.rowcount doesn't return correct row number

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software