Converting Quick Basic to Visual Basic
Author Message
 Converting Quick Basic to Visual Basic

I have a number of applications that I wrote in Quick Basic many years
ago.  My new laptop doesn't support QB so they must be converted to
VB.  Suggestions?

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 00:59:52 GMT
 Converting Quick Basic to Visual Basic

Quote:
>I have a number of applications that I wrote in Quick Basic many years
> ago.  My new laptop doesn't support QB so they must be converted to
> VB.  Suggestions?

I don't follow the QuickBasic threads much so I can't say for sure, but I'm
pretty sure the word "conversion" is going to be stretched pretty far. More
than likely a full rewrite will be necessary. But let's wait for someone
more knowledgeable to chime in.

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 01:44:56 GMT
 Converting Quick Basic to Visual Basic

Quote:

> I have a number of applications that I wrote in Quick Basic many years
> ago.  My new laptop doesn't support QB so they must be converted to
> VB.  Suggestions?

Have you tried moving QB over?

Depending on what these do, it may be roughly trivial to build console
app to a complete rewrite...

--

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 01:52:38 GMT
 Converting Quick Basic to Visual Basic

Quote:
>I have a number of applications that I wrote in Quick Basic many years
> ago.  My new laptop doesn't support QB so they must be converted to
> VB.  Suggestions?

First, this newsgroup is for VB6 and earlier(VB Classic). VB.Net and all
dotnet groups have either "dotnet" or "vsnet" in the group name.

Second, you will have to convert the code manually, but perhaps most of the
code will work fine, especially for small programs. If they are too big and
take time, you can use FreeBasic; which is close to QB, but it has more
language features that are similar to VB6/VB.Net/C++. You can compile your
code for different platforms, including DOS, Windows and Linux. Unlike
VB6/VB.Net, compiled code doesn't require any runtime, but the IDE is not as
sophisticated as VB, especially for Windows GUI applications.

Main page:
http://www.freebasic.net

Features:
http://www.freebasic.net/index.php/about?section=features

Differences from QuickBASIC
http://www.freebasic.net/index.php/about?section=diff

FreeBasic compiler:
http://www.freebasic.net/index.php/download

IDE:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fbedit/

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 02:02:13 GMT
 Converting Quick Basic to Visual Basic

Quote:
> I have a number of applications that I wrote in Quick Basic many years
> ago. ?My new laptop doesn't support QB so they must be converted to
> VB. ?Suggestions?

Take the simplest of them (or start making a calculator out of an
example on the web, or a book) just too see how different in user
interaction this is..
all the ideas, formulas and outcome of the new program will be the
same, but the approach is a bit (a tad...) different.

if ts a lot of flies, then somewhat (well you could say that) the same
handling exists. or it can be handled in another way...

Serial ports has been converted to objects, doing events and so on...
well its not like a file anymore..

My suggestion is, take VB out for a spin on a small fun project, some
QBthings will feel the same, but others... like global variables
(don't use them) can be a bit of a hassle.

And yes, try "option explicit", if it wasnt there in QB (really dont
remember) it sort of nice to keep frogs out of the code for starters.

my 10 cents..

//CY

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 02:12:34 GMT
 Converting Quick Basic to Visual Basic
You still can run your QuickBasic programs, unless there is a feature, such
as serial port access or, perhaps parallel port access required.  Most will
simply run in a DOS window.

You also have the option of running these under VirtualPC, which is a free
download. Just install DOS on a VPC.

If you choose VB, you will have to port your programs, which may be simple
or not so... Depends on details.

Dick

--
Richard Grier (Microsoft MVP - Visual Basic) Hard & Software 12962 West
Louisiana Avenue Lakewood, CO 80228 303-986-2179 (voice) Homepage:

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 03:23:07 GMT
 Converting Quick Basic to Visual Basic

Quote:
> And yes, try "option explicit", if it wasnt there in QB (really dont
> remember) it sort of nice to keep frogs out of the code for starters.

Option Explicit was not in QB and didn't make it's appearance unitl VB. I
can't say for sure about VB1 for Windows but it's in VBDOS so I'd assume
it's in VB1 Windows as well.

--
HK

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 03:32:57 GMT
 Converting Quick Basic to Visual Basic

Quote:
>{*filter*}

> --
> Richard Grier (Microsoft MVP - Visual Basic) Hard & Software 12962 West
> Louisiana Avenue Lakewood, CO 80228 303-986-2179 (voice) Homepage:
> www.hardandsoftware.net Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to
> Serial Communications, 4th Edition ISBN 1-890422-28-2 (391 pages)
> published July 2004, Revised July 2006.

You left out your {*filter*} type,{*filter*}....

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 04:10:40 GMT
 Converting Quick Basic to Visual Basic

Quote:
> You still can run your QuickBasic programs, unless there is a feature, such
> as serial port access or, perhaps parallel port access required.  Most will
> simply run in a DOS window.

> You also have the option of running these under VirtualPC, which is a free
> download. Just install DOS on a VPC.

> If you choose VB, you will have to port your programs, which may be simple
> or not so... Depends on details.

>{*filter*}

Even easier is dosbox - i've been running qbasic quite succesfully on my Vista
box.

--
Tom Shelton

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 04:28:09 GMT
 Converting Quick Basic to Visual Basic

I've heard from many in this newsgroup that all BASIC code will convert to
the next version perfectly.  Unless you step up to VB.NET, which is the only
time it cannot be converted from an older version.  So have you tried just
opening it in VB6 and hitting F5?

Quote:
>I have a number of applications that I wrote in Quick Basic many years
> ago.  My new laptop doesn't support QB so they must be converted to
> VB.  Suggestions?

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 09:09:17 GMT
 Converting Quick Basic to Visual Basic
I don't think you could have heard that quite right. VB1 - VB5 code will
work in VB6 with only minor changes, if any, required. But, QuickBasic is
DOS and there are DEFINITELY things that would need re-written, simply due
to going from a DOS app to a Windows app.

--
Mike

Quote:
> I've heard from many in this newsgroup that all BASIC code will convert to
> the next version perfectly.  Unless you step up to VB.NET, which is the
> only time it cannot be converted from an older version.  So have you tried
> just opening it in VB6 and hitting F5?

>>I have a number of applications that I wrote in Quick Basic many years
>> ago.  My new laptop doesn't support QB so they must be converted to
>> VB.  Suggestions?

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 10:08:38 GMT
 Converting Quick Basic to Visual Basic

| I've heard from many in this newsgroup that all BASIC code will convert to
| the next version perfectly.  Unless you step up to VB.NET, which is the
only
| time it cannot be converted from an older version.  So have you tried just
| opening it in VB6 and hitting F5?

Go away, trolling fu<ktard.

And let's be clear on one other thing besides your lowly status as a wanna
be human being:  There is no stepping up to .Nxt.  It's a pure and simple
demotion in which any dyslexic monkey - much like yourself - takes a flying
leap downward writing code using a bloated layer of $hlt also known as
managed code.

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 10:10:07 GMT
 Converting Quick Basic to Visual Basic

Quote:

> I don't think you could have heard that quite right. VB1 - VB5 code will
> work in VB6 with only minor changes, if any, required. But, QuickBasic is
> DOS and there are DEFINITELY things that would need re-written, simply due
> to going from a DOS app to a Windows app.

Right.  The entire way the code interacted with both the user and the hardware
changed.  That happens with that sort of platform shift. <shrug>  But the core
language is very much the same.  Well written "business logic" can make the move
nearly, if not entirely, unscathed.  For example, I had absolutely no problem moving
code that read/wrote DBF files from QB4 to VB6.  It ran unmodified.  :-)
--
.NET: It's About Trust!
 http://vfred.mvps.org

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 10:16:14 GMT
 Converting Quick Basic to Visual Basic

Quote:
> I don't think you could have heard that quite right. VB1 - VB5 code will
> work in VB6 with only minor changes, if any, required.

That presumes that the application used NO third party controls. VB3 or
earlier applications cannot be opened directly by VB6 IDE, and also require
replacement of control libraries etc, etc. The claim that code from VB1
works in Vb6 is only for the most simple of cases, and the same can be said
for VB6 to VB .NET in simple cases.  In the real world people talk about
applications, and 16 bit VB, aka VB3 and earlier (also VB4 in 16 bit mode),
are NOT compatible with VB6: even the fundamentals such as String are
different.

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 15:20:34 GMT
 Converting Quick Basic to Visual Basic

Quote:
> Even easier is dosbox - i've been running qbasic quite succesfully on my
> Vista
> box.

That's true. I wonder why he didn't try QBASIC.EXE in a DOS box.

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 15:57:28 GMT

 [ 25 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Converting Quick Basic 4.5 to Visual Basic 5.0

2. Basic\Quick Basic:to convert GEDCOM

3. QUICK BASIC & VISUAL BASIC 4.0 /5.0

4. quick basic to visual basic HELP

5. Quick Basic files in Visual Basic?

6. Quick Basic to Visual Basic Translator?

7. quick basic to visual basic HELP

8. Quick Basic Vs Visual Basic

9. Quick Basic/Visual Basic source code

10. Converting MS Basic to Visual Basic

11. Convert hp basic code to visual basic code

12. Convert Basic to Visual Basic