insert an Excel graph into a Richtextbox?
Author Message
 insert an Excel graph into a Richtextbox?

A client has a need for something I've just never done.

It doesn't seem like it should be too difficult, but I'm unsure
of where to start.  I've not done much at all with Excel.

I have some data, in a string, in the form of [a portion of] a CSV file,
and I want to instantiate an Excel worksheet, populate it with that data,
graph an X/Y scatter diagram, an then somehow (maybe via the clipboard?)
insert that chart into a RichTextBox.

Suggestions, links, and/or samples would be greatly appreciated.

        Bob
--

Tue, 14 Dec 2010 16:01:20 GMT
 insert an Excel graph into a Richtextbox?

released on Fri, 27 Jun 2008 01:01:20 -0700 bearing the
following fruit:

Quote:
>A client has a need for something I've just never done.

>It doesn't seem like it should be too difficult, but I'm unsure
>of where to start.  I've not done much at all with Excel.

>I have some data, in a string, in the form of [a portion of] a CSV file,
>and I want to instantiate an Excel worksheet, populate it with that data,
>graph an X/Y scatter diagram, an then somehow (maybe via the clipboard?)
>insert that chart into a RichTextBox.

>Suggestions, links, and/or samples would be greatly appreciated.

I don't see why the clipboard shouldn't work since you can
do it manually.

I'm gonna play around and see if I can do it
programmatically without the clipboard though.

--
Jan Hyde

https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Jan.Hyde

Tue, 14 Dec 2010 17:25:30 GMT
 insert an Excel graph into a Richtextbox?

Quote:
>A client has a need for something I've just never done.

> It doesn't seem like it should be too difficult, but I'm unsure
> of where to start.  I've not done much at all with Excel.

> I have some data, in a string, in the form of [a portion of] a CSV file,
> and I want to instantiate an Excel worksheet, populate it with that data,
> graph an X/Y scatter diagram, an then somehow (maybe via the clipboard?)
> insert that chart into a RichTextBox.

> Suggestions, links, and/or samples would be greatly appreciated.

> Bob
> --

If the data is a series of values, maybe the MSChart control can do it
without Excel.

The documentation though is terrible...

/Henning

Tue, 14 Dec 2010 19:08:24 GMT
 insert an Excel graph into a Richtextbox?

released on Fri, 27 Jun 2008 13:08:24 +0200 bearing the
following fruit:

Quote:

>>A client has a need for something I've just never done.

>> It doesn't seem like it should be too difficult, but I'm unsure
>> of where to start.  I've not done much at all with Excel.

>> I have some data, in a string, in the form of [a portion of] a CSV file,
>> and I want to instantiate an Excel worksheet, populate it with that data,
>> graph an X/Y scatter diagram, an then somehow (maybe via the clipboard?)
>> insert that chart into a RichTextBox.

>> Suggestions, links, and/or samples would be greatly appreciated.

>> Bob
>> --

>If the data is a series of values, maybe the MSChart control can do it
>without Excel.

>The documentation though is terrible...

MSChart control sucks in every way possible ;-)

I've failed to do it in code thus far but I know very little
about the richtextbox and don't have the help files on this
PC.

--
Jan Hyde

https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Jan.Hyde

Tue, 14 Dec 2010 19:55:50 GMT
 insert an Excel graph into a Richtextbox?

Quote:

> released on Fri, 27 Jun 2008 01:01:20 -0700 bearing the
> following fruit:

>> A client has a need for something I've just never done.

>> It doesn't seem like it should be too difficult, but I'm unsure
>> of where to start.  I've not done much at all with Excel.

>> I have some data, in a string, in the form of [a portion of] a CSV file,
>> and I want to instantiate an Excel worksheet, populate it with that data,
>> graph an X/Y scatter diagram, an then somehow (maybe via the clipboard?)
>> insert that chart into a RichTextBox.

>> Suggestions, links, and/or samples would be greatly appreciated.

> I don't see why the clipboard shouldn't work since you can
> do it manually.

Huh?
I am not in any way objecting to the clipboard,
that was a *suggestion*

Quote:

> I'm gonna play around and see if I can do it
> programmatically without the clipboard though.

I don't have any reason to care one way or the other.

People _who know Excel_ can do it manually, yes.
But as I said, I just don't know where to start
to get this done with VB.  Watching an Excel expert
whip through it manually ... cool.  But not helpful.

I don't need to discuss alternatives, because no one
is going to care.  Any way which works ... works.

        Bob
--

Tue, 14 Dec 2010 23:33:00 GMT
 insert an Excel graph into a Richtextbox?

RBS

Quote:
>A client has a need for something I've just never done.

> It doesn't seem like it should be too difficult, but I'm unsure
> of where to start.  I've not done much at all with Excel.

> I have some data, in a string, in the form of [a portion of] a CSV file,
> and I want to instantiate an Excel worksheet, populate it with that data,
> graph an X/Y scatter diagram, an then somehow (maybe via the clipboard?)
> insert that chart into a RichTextBox.

> Suggestions, links, and/or samples would be greatly appreciated.

> Bob
> --

Wed, 15 Dec 2010 00:46:51 GMT
 insert an Excel graph into a Richtextbox?

Quote:

> Here is an example that works with an image control:
> http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip66.htm

Thanks, but...

Again:  That is Excel.  I do not know Excel.
"[step] 1.  Create your chart or charts as usual."

There is no "spare time" between now and Monday
(project deadline) for me to learn enough Excel.

What I need is the steps it takes to *drive* that process
from VB and add the chart into an RTB.  I have not interacted
significantly with Excel from VB before.

It _does_ look like having Excel save the chart to a file
is an alternative to using the clipboard, but I have no
objections to using the clipboard, and preference FOR
whatever just works.

        Bob
--

Wed, 15 Dec 2010 01:00:37 GMT
 insert an Excel graph into a Richtextbox?

RBS

Quote:

>> Here is an example that works with an image control:
>> http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip66.htm

> Thanks, but...

> Again:  That is Excel.  I do not know Excel.
> "[step] 1.  Create your chart or charts as usual."

> There is no "spare time" between now and Monday
> (project deadline) for me to learn enough Excel.

> What I need is the steps it takes to *drive* that process
> from VB and add the chart into an RTB.  I have not interacted
> significantly with Excel from VB before.

> It _does_ look like having Excel save the chart to a file
> is an alternative to using the clipboard, but I have no
> objections to using the clipboard, and preference FOR
> whatever just works.

> Bob
> --

Wed, 15 Dec 2010 01:15:59 GMT
 insert an Excel graph into a Richtextbox?
I forgot to say that maybe a RichText is not the best option here. Firstly,
because there are security problems
with the RT control in Excel and secondly I am not sure
it can accept an image file.

RBS

Quote:

>> Here is an example that works with an image control:
>> http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip66.htm

> Thanks, but...

> Again:  That is Excel.  I do not know Excel.
> "[step] 1.  Create your chart or charts as usual."

> There is no "spare time" between now and Monday
> (project deadline) for me to learn enough Excel.

> What I need is the steps it takes to *drive* that process
> from VB and add the chart into an RTB.  I have not interacted
> significantly with Excel from VB before.

> It _does_ look like having Excel save the chart to a file
> is an alternative to using the clipboard, but I have no
> objections to using the clipboard, and preference FOR
> whatever just works.

> Bob
> --

Wed, 15 Dec 2010 01:18:47 GMT
 insert an Excel graph into a Richtextbox?

Quote:

> I forgot to say that maybe a RichText is not the best option here.
> Firstly, because there are security problems
> with the RT control in Excel and secondly I am not sure
> it can accept an image file.

There aren't any choices in that regard at this stage in the game.
Since I can use paint to create a jpg and successfully paste that
into my RTB, I don't think there are any worries there.

I just need a greater degree of "hand holding" regarding driving
the Excel object.  I can look at the VBA code generated by recording
a macro (having an Excel expert create the chart), and somehow
that just doesn't help.  I have my data in a VB string.

        Bob
--

Wed, 15 Dec 2010 02:01:11 GMT
 insert an Excel graph into a Richtextbox?

Option Explicit
Private Const xlLineMarkers As Long = 65
Private Const xlColumns As Long = 2
Private Const xlLocationAsNewSheet As Long = 1

Sub Main()

  Dim oXL As Object
  Dim oWorkbook As Object
  Dim oSheet As Object
  Dim oChart As Object

  Set oXL = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
  Set oWorkbook = oXL.WorkBooks.Add
  Set oSheet = oXL.WorkSheets.Add
  Set oChart = oXL.Charts.Add

  'not sure if .SetSourceData can accept anything else than a worksheet
range
  With oSheet
    .cells(1) = "date"
    .cells(2, 1) = "01/02/2008"
    .cells(3, 1) = "01/03/2008"
    .cells(4, 1) = "01/04/2008"
    .cells(5, 1) = "01/05/2008"

    .cells(2) = "value"
    .cells(2, 2) = 2
    .cells(3, 2) = 3
    .cells(4, 2) = 3
    .cells(5, 2) = 2
  End With

  With oChart
    .ChartType = xlLineMarkers
    .SetSourceData Source:=oSheet.Range("A1:B5"), PlotBy:=xlColumns
    .Location Where:=xlLocationAsNewSheet
    .Export FileName:="C:\ChartTest.gif", FilterName:="GIF"
  End With

  'to avoid the message about saving the workbook
  oXL.DisplayAlerts = False

  'make sure to clear all Excel objects
  Set oChart = Nothing
  Set oSheet = Nothing
  Set oWorkbook = Nothing
  oXL.Quit
  Set oXL = Nothing

End Sub

RBS

Quote:

>> I forgot to say that maybe a RichText is not the best option here.
>> Firstly, because there are security problems
>> with the RT control in Excel and secondly I am not sure
>> it can accept an image file.

> There aren't any choices in that regard at this stage in the game.
> Since I can use paint to create a jpg and successfully paste that
> into my RTB, I don't think there are any worries there.

> I just need a greater degree of "hand holding" regarding driving
> the Excel object.  I can look at the VBA code generated by recording
> a macro (having an Excel expert create the chart), and somehow
> that just doesn't help.  I have my data in a VB string.

> Bob
> --

Wed, 15 Dec 2010 03:21:49 GMT
 insert an Excel graph into a Richtextbox?
Here all the essential code that is needed. Add a Form and a RTB.

Option Explicit
Private Const xlLineMarkers As Long = 65
Private Const xlXYScatter As Long = -4169
Private Const xlColumns As Long = 2
Private Const xlLocationAsNewSheet As Long = 1

Private Declare Function SendMessage Lib "user32" _
                                     Alias "SendMessageA" _
                                     (ByVal hwnd As Long, _
                                      ByVal wMsg As Long, _
                                      ByVal wParam As Long, _
                                      lParam As Any) As Long
Private Const WM_PASTE As Long = 770
Private Const WM_LBUTTONDOWN As Long = 513
Private Const WM_LBUTTONUP As Long = 514

[...]

    .ChartType = xlXYScatter
    .SetSourceData Source:=oSheet.Range("A1:B5"), PlotBy:=xlColumns
    .Location Where:=xlLocationAsNewSheet

    'size the chart
    With .PlotArea
      .Height = 200
      .Width = 300
    End With

    '.Export FileName:="C:\ChartTest.gif", FilterName:="GIF"
    .ChartArea.Copy
  End With

  'to avoid the message about saving the workbook
  oXL.DisplayAlerts = False

  'make sure to clear all Excel objects
  Set oChart = Nothing
  Set oSheet = Nothing
  Set oWorkbook = Nothing
  oXL.Quit
  Set oXL = Nothing

  Load Form1
  Form1.Show

  'paste the clipboard image to the RTF
  SendMessage Form1.RichTextBox1.hwnd, WM_PASTE, 0, 0

  'to size and position the image; must be simpler way to do this
  SendMessage Form1.RichTextBox1.hwnd, WM_LBUTTONDOWN, 0, 0
  SendMessage Form1.RichTextBox1.hwnd, WM_LBUTTONUP, 0, 0

  'InsertPictureInRichTextBox Form1.RichTextBox1,
LoadPicture("C:\ChartTest.gif")

End Sub

Sub InsertPictureInRichTextBox(RTB As RichTextBox, Picture As StdPicture)

  Clipboard.Clear
  Clipboard.SetData Picture

  SendMessage RTB.hwnd, WM_PASTE, 0, 0

End Sub

You will need to further fill in the Excel code to specify the chart and the
only way
to do that is play with the Excel macro recorder, but that should be no
problem.
Not sure if there is a way to get the chart in the RTB without the
clipboard.
I take it there is no problem to fill the Excel range with your data in your
string.

RBS

Quote:

>> I forgot to say that maybe a RichText is not the best option here.
>> Firstly, because there are security problems
>> with the RT control in Excel and secondly I am not sure
>> it can accept an image file.

> There aren't any choices in that regard at this stage in the game.
> Since I can use paint to create a jpg and successfully paste that
> into my RTB, I don't think there are any worries there.

> I just need a greater degree of "hand holding" regarding driving
> the Excel object.  I can look at the VBA code generated by recording
> a macro (having an Excel expert create the chart), and somehow
> that just doesn't help.  I have my data in a VB string.

> Bob
> --

Wed, 15 Dec 2010 14:42:33 GMT
 insert an Excel graph into a Richtextbox?
I didn't know you could simply paste an Excel chart (image) into an RTB.
There is another series of API's to extract the chart from the clipboard
into any control with a picture property, handy if it also has an AutoSize
property.

Following is along similar lines to RBS's but with some different Excel
methods, namely

- Data directly into series formulas (see the limitation note in the
comments, probably better in cells but just for ideas)

- Create an embedded chart, easier to size than a chart sheet

- for better re-scalability of the pasted chart and other things, use
cht.CopyPicture arg's
vs
cht.ChartArea.Copy

' in a Form with an RTB
' keep clicking the form

Option Explicit
Private Const xlLineMarkers As Long = 65
Private Const xlXYScatter As Long = -4169
Private Const xlColumns As Long = 2
Private Const xlLocationAsNewSheet As Long = 1

Private Const xlPicture As Long = -4147
Private Const xlScreen As Long = 1
Private Const xlBitmap As Long = 2

Private Declare Function SendMessage Lib "user32" _
                                     Alias "SendMessageA" _
                                     (ByVal hwnd As Long, _
                                      ByVal wMsg As Long, _
                                      ByVal wParam As Long, _
                                      lParam As Any) As Long
Private Const WM_PASTE As Long = 770
Private Const WM_LBUTTONDOWN As Long = 513
Private Const WM_LBUTTONUP As Long = 514

Dim moXL As Object, moCht As Chart

Sub ChartToRTB(Optional w As Single, Optional h As Single)
Dim vArr, x As Long
Dim oWB As Object, oWS As Object
Dim oSR As Object

    'normally better always create a new Excel instance
    ' but for developing  ...

On Error Resume Next    ' lazy just for this post
    If moXL Is Nothing Then
        Set moXL = GetObject(, "excel.application")
        '
        If moXL Is Nothing Then
            Set moXL = CreateObject("excel.application")
            moXL.Visible = True    ' for testing
        End If
        If moXL Is Nothing Then
        ' ?????????
            MsgBox Err.Description
            Exit Sub
        End If
    End If

'    Set oWB = moXL.Workbooks(sName)
'    If oWB Is Nothing Then
'        Set oWB = moXL.Workbooks.Open(sPath)
'    End If
    Set oWB = moXL.ActiveWorkbook ' for testing

    If oWB Is Nothing Then
        Set oWB = moXL.Workbooks.Add
    End If

    Set oWS = oWB.Worksheets(1)

    Set moCht = oWS.ChartObjects(1).Chart

    If moCht Is Nothing Then
        If w = 0 Then w = 270    ' points
        If h = 0 Then h = 180

        Set moCht = oWS.ChartObjects.Add(10#, 10#, w, h).Chart
        moCht.ChartType = xlXYScatter

    Else
        If w Then moCht.Parent.Width = w
        If h Then moCht.Parent.Height = h

    End If

    Set oSR = moCht.SeriesCollection(1)
    If oSR Is Nothing Then
        Set oSR = moCht.SeriesCollection.NewSeries
        oSR.Name = "Apples"
    End If
    oSR.XValues = SomeArray(5)    ' * see note
    oSR.Values = SomeArray(10)

    Set oSR = Nothing
    Set oSR = moCht.SeriesCollection(2)
    If oSR Is Nothing Then
        Set oSR = moCht.SeriesCollection.NewSeries
        oSR.Name = "Pears"
    End If

    oSR.XValues = SomeArray(5)
    oSR.Values = SomeArray(10)

    With moCht.Axes(xlCategory, xlPrimary)
        .HasTitle = True
        .AxisTitle.Text = "Ripeness"
    End With

    With moCht.Axes(xlValue, xlPrimary)
        .HasTitle = True
        .AxisTitle.Text = "Size"
    End With

    moCht.HasTitle = True
    moCht.ChartTitle.Text = "Orchard"
    moCht.HasLegend = True
    moCht.PlotArea.Fill.ForeColor.SchemeColor = 2

    moCht.CopyPicture xlScreen, xlPicture, xlScreen
    SendMessage Form1.RichTextBox1.hwnd, WM_PASTE, 0, 0

    ' * Applying an array directly to sr.Values writes values
    '  into the series formula, no need for cells
    ' BUT will fail if len("{1,2,3.1,123.456}"} > 255
    ' (ie len all the values + comma's + curly brackets > 255
    ' within one "section" of the 4-part series formula

    ' Normal way is with series data in cells, record an Excel nacro
    '  record an Excel nacro to get the syntax
End Sub

Function SomeArray(x As Long)
Dim i&
Dim vArr

    ReDim vArr(1 To 10)
    For i = 1 To 10
        vArr(i) = Int(Rnd() * x) + 1
    Next

    SomeArray = vArr

End Function

Private Sub Form_Click()
    ChartToRTB

End Sub

Private Sub Form_QueryUnload(Cancel As Integer, UnloadMode As Integer)
    On Error Resume Next
'    If Not moXL Is Nothing Then
'        moXL.DisplayAlerts = False
'        ' careful all workbooks'll close w/out save
'        moXL.Quit
'    End If
End Sub

Above really is for ideas only and would need a lot more.

For testing, In Excel select the chart, Shift-Edit, Copy Picture. Try the
various options then Ctrl-V into the RTB.

Also record a macro to format the chart as required, new series etc to get
all the basic syntax (select & activate stuff will need to be removed), most
of which can be adapted into DoChart above.

Regards,
Peter T

Thu, 16 Dec 2010 00:18:11 GMT
 insert an Excel graph into a Richtextbox?
Thanks very much for the examples - both of you.

With a little bit of luck in fighting the /other/ wildfires
this project faces, I may be able to install some of it later
today.  I had already experienced a small measure of success
with RB's code yesterday, but I'm pretty sure that the
combination of ideas from both of you has put me
on a track that can reach my goal.

        Bob
--

Thu, 16 Dec 2010 01:44:56 GMT
 insert an Excel graph into a Richtextbox?

Private Const xlCategory As Long = 1
Private Const xlPrimary As Long = 1
Private Const xlValue As Long = 2

Dim moXL As Object, moCht As Object ' Excel.Chart

Sorry about that but it looks like you (Bob) managed to sort that out and
are now well under way.

Regards,
Peter T

Quote:

> [...]

>     ' within one "section" of the 4-part series formula

>     ' Normal way is with series data in cells, record an Excel nacro
>     '  record an Excel nacro to get the syntax
> End Sub

> Function SomeArray(x As Long)
> Dim i&
> Dim vArr

>     ReDim vArr(1 To 10)
>     For i = 1 To 10
>         vArr(i) = Int(Rnd() * x) + 1
>     Next

>     SomeArray = vArr

> End Function

> Private Sub Form_Click()
>     ChartToRTB

> End Sub

> Private Sub Form_QueryUnload(Cancel As Integer, UnloadMode As Integer)
>     On Error Resume Next
> '    If Not moXL Is Nothing Then
> '        moXL.DisplayAlerts = False
> '        ' careful all workbooks'll close w/out save

Thu, 16 Dec 2010 17:57:37 GMT

 [ 25 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Can I past graph picture into RichTextBox Control ?

2. Inserting Graph in Word invokes the Graph9.exe

3. How to insert CR into Graph title?

4. Inserting symbols into VB and graphing capabilities in VB

5. Inserting an image into a richtextbox:

6. RichTextBox: Inserting small images in the text

7. Inserting Colored or Bold text into a RichTextBox

8. Inserting objects in RichTextBox

9. How to prevent inserting pictures into a RichTextBox

10. Inserting characters into RichTextBox

11. RichTextBox, How to insert a horizontal line

12. Inserting a Bitmap into a RichTextBox