Download website
Author Message
 Download website

I have been asked to update a website.  There are about 100 web pages
whose urls I know but it will take a while for me to get ftp access
(corporate stuff).  Is there a way for me to automate the process in
vb 6 of downloading all the pages as well as the images.  It would
save me a lot of time

Sun, 30 Oct 2011 19:57:33 GMT
 Download website

Quote:
>I have been asked to update a website.  There are about 100 web pages
> whose urls I know but it will take a while for me to get ftp access
> (corporate stuff).  Is there a way for me to automate the process in
> vb 6 of downloading all the pages as well as the images.  It would
> save me a lot of time

See this sample:

SAMPLE: Vbhttp.exe Demonstrates How to Use HTTP WinInet APIs in Visual Basic
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=259100

Or you could use WinHTTrack:

http://www.httrack.com

Sun, 30 Oct 2011 20:13:28 GMT
 Download website

Quote:
> I have been asked to update a website.  There are about 100 web pages
> whose urls I know but it will take a while for me to get ftp access
> (corporate stuff).  Is there a way for me to automate the process in
> vb 6 of downloading all the pages as well as the images.  It would
> save me a lot of time

I'm probably missing something, but until you get your hands on the physical
files all you are going to get is "rendered" pages and "rendered" images no
matter what tool you use to view or capture them. These files might be
useful if there is no server-side scripting going on, but that is hard to
believe in this day and age.

Once you get physical access to the files there are numerous utilities
available to managing "Web Projects". I'd spend my time researching these
tools.

-ralph

Sun, 30 Oct 2011 20:34:23 GMT
 Download website
You are correct.  All we really want is the content so we can get a
jumpstart on updating the text and images.  Layout etc dose not matter
right now

On Wed, 13 May 2009 07:34:23 -0500, "Ralph"

Quote:

>> I have been asked to update a website.  There are about 100 web pages
>> whose urls I know but it will take a while for me to get ftp access
>> (corporate stuff).  Is there a way for me to automate the process in
>> vb 6 of downloading all the pages as well as the images.  It would
>> save me a lot of time

>I'm probably missing something, but until you get your hands on the physical
>files all you are going to get is "rendered" pages and "rendered" images no
>matter what tool you use to view or capture them. These files might be
>useful if there is no server-side scripting going on, but that is hard to
>believe in this day and age.

>Once you get physical access to the files there are numerous utilities
>available to managing "Web Projects". I'd spend my time researching these
>tools.

>-ralph

Sun, 30 Oct 2011 20:59:42 GMT
 Download website

Quote:
> You are correct.  All we really want is the content so we can get a
> jumpstart on updating the text and images.  Layout etc dose not matter
> right now

  First....if the company doesn't have at least
one copy of the site backed up offline then
there's something very wrong.

But that aside....

  Why not just load a page in a browser and
save it with all associated files? If you need
to work on editing text and updating images
then you probably don't need many pages to
get started. And downloading it that way
would allow you to keep the CSS and image
files in a neat package with the page. As Ralph
said, you can't really download the site files anyway.

  If you really need to download more you can
use a "download helper" like HTTrack, as Nobody
said. There's not much point in writing something
like that. But there are caveats, as Ralph pointed
out. A lot of sites compile a page server-side.
If you're just downloading pages then you may
not be getting anything even close to the actual
website files. Also, some sites may block things
like HTTrack. (On my own site I try to block all
"helpers" and "scrapers", and I serve different pages
to IE and non-IE. Those are two examples of
problems you might run into.)

    I once tried HTTrack and found that it seemed
to fail more often than not. Maybe that's because a
lot of sites block it, or maybe it's related to the lack
of actual webpage files on sites that are building pages
from a database as they're requested. I'm not sure.

Sun, 30 Oct 2011 21:35:21 GMT
 Download website
Answer to offsite etc questions is that I signed to contract but it
takes a few weeks to get users rights etc and I want to jump start the
project

HTTtrackr did not work because I could not get the cookies to read
properly despite moving the cookie to every known place

I downloaded a vb program that I modified to save the web pages but I
can not rewrite
this line of cade

ExecWB OLECMDID_SAVEAS, OLECMDEXECOPT_PROMPTUSER,

1- Not prompt user for a file name
2-HAve the default save as Web page and Graphics (seperatley0

Any help s appreciated

Quote:
>> You are correct.  All we really want is the content so we can get a
>> jumpstart on updating the text and images.  Layout etc dose not matter
>> right now

>  First....if the company doesn't have at least
>one copy of the site backed up offline then
>there's something very wrong.

>But that aside....

>  Why not just load a page in a browser and
>save it with all associated files? If you need
>to work on editing text and updating images
>then you probably don't need many pages to
>get started. And downloading it that way
>would allow you to keep the CSS and image
>files in a neat package with the page. As Ralph
>said, you can't really download the site files anyway.

>  If you really need to download more you can
>use a "download helper" like HTTrack, as Nobody
>said. There's not much point in writing something
>like that. But there are caveats, as Ralph pointed
>out. A lot of sites compile a page server-side.
>If you're just downloading pages then you may
>not be getting anything even close to the actual
>website files. Also, some sites may block things
>like HTTrack. (On my own site I try to block all
>"helpers" and "scrapers", and I serve different pages
>to IE and non-IE. Those are two examples of
>problems you might run into.)

>    I once tried HTTrack and found that it seemed
>to fail more often than not. Maybe that's because a
>lot of sites block it, or maybe it's related to the lack
>of actual webpage files on sites that are building pages
>from a database as they're requested. I'm not sure.

Mon, 31 Oct 2011 06:03:41 GMT
 Download website
It looks like this is what you want, but it's
not as flexible as you'd like. ExecWB is just
simple IE automation:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms683930(VS.85).aspx

Quote:
> I downloaded a vb program that I modified to save the web pages but I
> can not rewrite
> this line of cade

> ExecWB OLECMDID_SAVEAS, OLECMDEXECOPT_PROMPTUSER,

> 1- Not prompt user for a file name
> 2-HAve the default save as Web page and Graphics (seperatley0

> Any help s appreciated

Mon, 31 Oct 2011 07:12:54 GMT
 Download website
tried

OLECMDEXECOPT_DONTPROMPTUSER

But cannot find where it was saved to

Quote:
>It looks like this is what you want, but it's
>not as flexible as you'd like. ExecWB is just
>simple IE automation:

>http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms683930(VS.85).aspx

>> I downloaded a vb program that I modified to save the web pages but I
>> can not rewrite
>> this line of cade

>> ExecWB OLECMDID_SAVEAS, OLECMDEXECOPT_PROMPTUSER,

>> 1- Not prompt user for a file name
>> 2-HAve the default save as Web page and Graphics (seperatley0

>> Any help s appreciated

Mon, 31 Oct 2011 10:56:26 GMT
 Download website

Quote:

> OLECMDEXECOPT_DONTPROMPTUSER

> But cannot find where it was saved to

  You could try monitoring it with Filemon, but
it should just be whatever IE defaults to. That
method is supposed to be the same as clicking
File -> SaveAs in IE, so whatever that FileSave
dialogue suggests as the path for saving should
be where the file ends up.

  There are other less clunky ways to download a
file, but if you want IE to do it you could also
try using a WB control to navigate to the page,
then save the content. If I remember correctly,
document.body.outerHTML is the most inclusive
property. Doing it that way would also provide the
option to parse the HTML for CSS files and IMG tags.

Mon, 31 Oct 2011 11:40:58 GMT

1. Downloading HTML Websites

2. Downloading files on website

3. another website for downloading icon or bmp for vb

4. Download from website..?

5. Comment on QB websites/view websites by comments .-=??=-.

6. Freebie Website and a free link to your Website

7. MS Active X control downloads OK but home grown Active X Control will not download

8. MS Active X control downloads OK but home grown Active X Control will not download

9. FTP Newbie: How to programatically DOWNLOAD file from website???

10. download a file from a website (NON-FTP) without seeing common dialog "save as..."

11. project design software , compare website design software , web developers , website design software review , nof shop , software quality , nof 7.5 , bestellen preisvergleich , web site design , custom web design ,