WMP Overlay
Author Message
 WMP Overlay

I am trying to prototype an app where I have a form with a Windows media
player control and a transparent overlay on top of it that I can draw on. I
tried a number of possible solution such as a transparent picture box and
transparent form on top of the WMP. In none of these scenarios could I draw
on the trasparent object.

Doesn't even seem to work in .NET. Any ideas much appriciated.
--
Jonathan

Sat, 04 Feb 2012 03:56:02 GMT
 WMP Overlay

Quote:

> I am trying to prototype an app where I have a form with a Windows
> media player control and a transparent overlay on top of it that I
> can draw on. I tried a number of possible solution such as a
> transparent picture box and transparent form on top of the WMP. In
> none of these scenarios could I draw on the trasparent object.

The problem is that with graphics acceleration turned up, WMP (using
DirectX) is using an overlaid window, painting right on the raster,
and will not respect your app's ZOrder. Any solution you come up with
is also likely to involve DX.

Perhaps someone who does more of this will have a better answer.

--
   Jim Mack
   Twisted tees at http://www.cafepress.com/2050inc

Sat, 04 Feb 2012 04:10:25 GMT
 WMP Overlay

Quote:
>I am trying to prototype an app where I have a form with a Windows media
> player control and a transparent overlay on top of it that I can draw on.
> tried a number of possible solution such as a transparent picture box and
> transparent form on top of the WMP. In none of these scenarios could I
> draw
> on the trasparent object.

> Doesn't even seem to work in .NET. Any ideas much appriciated.
> --
> Jonathan

Hi,

You would better post the Q in microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb.

In this group we deal with VB Classic (VB6 and below), and a few MVP's
having a different opinion. ;)

/Henning

Sat, 04 Feb 2012 06:03:01 GMT
 WMP Overlay
Hi Jonathan,

As Jim points out this may require directX rendering.  One possibility worth
exploring might be to use WPF (or Silver Light).
Also, for .NET related questions, best to ask in the dotnet forums such as :

microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb

Quote:
> I am trying to prototype an app where I have a form with a Windows media
> player control and a transparent overlay on top of it that I can draw on.
> tried a number of possible solution such as a transparent picture box and
> transparent form on top of the WMP. In none of these scenarios could I
> draw
> on the trasparent object.

> Doesn't even seem to work in .NET. Any ideas much appriciated.
> --
> Jonathan

Sat, 04 Feb 2012 11:33:47 GMT
 WMP Overlay
Thank you all
I should not have confused the issue. I'm writing in VB6.
1)I can turn off the graphics accelleration in the stand-alone WMP. Is there
a way to do it in the ActiveX control.
2)Has anyone seen a transparent picbox control that you can draw on. I've
seen one that you can draw on  and add controls at design time but I need one
at run time. Any ideas appriciated.
--
Jonathan
Quote:

> I am trying to prototype an app where I have a form with a Windows media
> player control and a transparent overlay on top of it that I can draw on. I
> tried a number of possible solution such as a transparent picture box and
> transparent form on top of the WMP. In none of these scenarios could I draw
> on the trasparent object.

> Doesn't even seem to work in .NET. Any ideas much appriciated.
> --
> Jonathan

Sat, 04 Feb 2012 23:34:01 GMT

1. WMP from WMP.OCX

2. WMP 9 in VB.NET

3. WMP 7 ActiveX control in VB.NET

4. How to change the balance in WMP with slidercontrol

5. BALANCE in WMP with slider ???

6. Changing Brightness in ActiveMovie (WMP ActiveX)

7. WMP and the Internet Cache

8. Checking for IE/WMP Hotfixes ?

9. Respond to embedded WMP Events?

10. wmp.ocx run-time error in VB

11. WMP:Audio decoder(Left& right Channal)

12. WMP and Installed Codecs