resizing controls larger after increasing screen resolution
Author Message
 resizing controls larger after increasing screen resolution

Hello,

I have an app that has mostly textboxes and command buttons.  Another
is a flexgrid with some graphs.

I had been programming to a 1024x768 screen and basically filled out
the screen.

However I switched to a different computer which right now is a
1400x1050.

Is there some 'automatic' way of increasing the size of every thing on
the screen or do I manually have to select the controls and resize
them.

thanks, David

Tue, 17 Jan 2012 02:09:11 GMT
 resizing controls larger after increasing screen resolution

Quote:

> I have an app that has mostly textboxes and command buttons.  Another
> is a flexgrid with some graphs.

> I had been programming to a 1024x768 screen and basically filled out
> the screen.

> However I switched to a different computer which right now is a
> 1400x1050.

> Is there some 'automatic' way of increasing the size of every thing on
> the screen or do I manually have to select the controls and resize
> them.

Ugh.  Don't do it!  Yes, there are "resizer" controls that automate this.
Uniformly, the results look *stupid*.  No other way to put it.  Design your UI
intelligently.  There's nothing wrong with scaling appropriately.  That is, like
extending a toolbar or status bar horizontally as a window grows.  But things like
buttons and such?  Uh, no.  This task really takes more thought than any of the
cheater tools (that I'm aware of) provide.
--
.NET: It's About Trust!
 http://vfred.mvps.org

Tue, 17 Jan 2012 02:29:11 GMT
 resizing controls larger after increasing screen resolution

Quote:
> Ugh. ?Don't do it! ?Yes, there are "resizer" controls that automate this.
> Uniformly, the results look *stupid*. ?No other way to put it. ?Design your UI
> intelligently. ?There's nothing wrong with scaling appropriately. ?That is, like
> extending a toolbar or status bar horizontally as a window grows. ?But things like
> buttons and such? ?Uh, no. ?This task really takes more thought than any of the
> cheater tools (that I'm aware of) provide.
> --
> .NET: It's About Trust!
> ?http://vfred.mvps.org

Karl, thanks for this as well.  I can live with doing it myself.  One
concern I have is if I have to decide on a default resolution size.  I
guess I am thinking about my 1400x1050 but I have also seen some
1280x800 screens. On top of that my 1400x1050 laptop uses 120dpi
(large) since the icons and default text are a little small for my
eyes so I have to take that in to account as well.  Especially
nowawdays with LCDs having more options depending upon the model.
Before it seemed like we could count on everyone using 1024x768.

Also, the people who I am developing this for are in a vehicle and I
want to make it as easy on their eyes (thinking bigger is better form
the most part) as possible especially since the vehicle is in motion
(not on public roads) when they are looking at the screen.

Tue, 17 Jan 2012 03:00:33 GMT
 resizing controls larger after increasing screen resolution

Quote:

>> Ugh. Don't do it! Yes, there are "resizer" controls that automate this.
>> Uniformly, the results look *stupid*. No other way to put it. Design your UI
>> intelligently. There's nothing wrong with scaling appropriately. That is, like
>> extending a toolbar or status bar horizontally as a window grows. But things like
>> buttons and such? Uh, no. This task really takes more thought than any of the
>> cheater tools (that I'm aware of) provide.

> Karl, thanks for this as well.  I can live with doing it myself.  One
> concern I have is if I have to decide on a default resolution size.  I
> guess I am thinking about my 1400x1050 but I have also seen some
> 1280x800 screens. On top of that my 1400x1050 laptop uses 120dpi
> (large) since the icons and default text are a little small for my
> eyes so I have to take that in to account as well.  Especially
> nowawdays with LCDs having more options depending upon the model.
> Before it seemed like we could count on everyone using 1024x768.

I try to either make my dialogs fixed size and relative small or let them resize
"gracefully" to the user's desires.  It really depends on what's on them.  I develop
on dual 1600x1200s, myself.  And the "large fonts" can throw a real monkey wrench
into anything.  Bottom line, be flexible, but smart.  Make good use of the
Form_Resize event.

Quote:
> Also, the people who I am developing this for are in a vehicle and I
> want to make it as easy on their eyes (thinking bigger is better form
> the most part) as possible especially since the vehicle is in motion
> (not on public roads) when they are looking at the screen.

Yeah, that's a different sort of app than I've ever needed to do.  Basically what's
known as a "kiosk" app to some.
--
.NET: It's About Trust!
 http://vfred.mvps.org

Tue, 17 Jan 2012 03:31:46 GMT
 resizing controls larger after increasing screen resolution
Hi Karl,

Actually, a couple of the resizer controls work pretty well.  I've used
ReSize from Larcom & Young (http://www.lyoung.com/) on several projects in
the past.  You do have to be "smart" about the original design -- I used
800x600 as the minimum and 1024x768 on another, so when doing the layout I
designed the forms using that those resolutions -- respectively.  The
"automatic" repositioning, sizing, and font changes were satisfactory, as
long as the use selected at least the minimum resolution.

Dick

--
Richard Grier (Microsoft MVP - Visual Basic) Hard & Software 12962 West
Louisiana Avenue Lakewood, CO 80228 303-986-2179 (voice) Homepage:

Wed, 18 Jan 2012 00:18:01 GMT
 resizing controls larger after increasing screen resolution
Thanks to all for the info.

David

P.S. What is a kiosk app?

Wed, 18 Jan 2012 01:24:46 GMT
 resizing controls larger after increasing screen resolution

Quote:

> P.S. What is a kiosk app?

A generic term for something you want to put out in public.  It generally takes
complete control of the system and becomes the user's only interface with the
machine.  A bank's ATM would be an extreme example.  More common (at least in VB
terms) would be "public involvement" kiosks/booths where a concept or product is
being demo'd.
--
.NET: It's About Trust!
 http://vfred.mvps.org

Sat, 21 Jan 2012 04:30:55 GMT
 resizing controls larger after increasing screen resolution

Quote:

> Actually, a couple of the resizer controls work pretty well.  I've used
> ReSize from Larcom & Young (http://www.lyoung.com/) on several projects in
> the past.  You do have to be "smart" about the original design -- I used
> 800x600 as the minimum and 1024x768 on another, so when doing the layout I
> designed the forms using that those resolutions -- respectively.  The
> "automatic" repositioning, sizing, and font changes were satisfactory, as
> long as the use selected at least the minimum resolution.

I pretty much gave up on them "way back when" so I imagine some improvement has been
made.  But there's just no predicting the future.  When you were doing those
designs, did you ever envision 1024x600 becoming "all the rage"? <g>
--
.NET: It's About Trust!
 http://vfred.mvps.org

Sat, 21 Jan 2012 04:32:52 GMT

1. Resizing controls on forms automatically to suit screen resolutions

2. Control Resize Based on Screen Resolution

3. Resizing Forms/Controls to Fit Screen Resolution

4. Auto resize FORM and all controls depending on screen resolution

5. Resizing forms and controls to fit with screen display resolution

6. how to make a 640x480 gif streach on larger screen resolutions

7. Resize - screen resolution code

8. screen resolution and docmd.resize?

9. Q: App resizing after screen resolution change?

10. Screen Resolution Resizing

11. Help resizing forms for diff. Screen Resolutions

12. How to increase the Resolution Of MSChart Control