Install VB6 in Vista Mouse pointer in IDE form not an arrow
Author Message
 Install VB6 in Vista Mouse pointer in IDE form not an arrow

Hi,
I just installed VB6 on a Vista (no SP1) laptop and the mouse pointer
in the coding area of the IDE turns into a hard to see vertical line
instead of the usual arrowhead. The mouse pointer is the usual
arrowhead when over the tool bars, Project viewer, etc.

How can I fix this?

Thanks,
John

Sat, 18 Dec 2010 00:50:34 GMT
 Install VB6 in Vista Mouse pointer in IDE form not an arrow

Quote:
> I just installed VB6 on a Vista (no SP1) laptop and the mouse pointer
> in the coding area of the IDE turns into a hard to see vertical line
> instead of the usual arrowhead.

??? "In the coding area" the cursor is normally the text cursor (the
"I-beam"), so it makes total sense to me that the cursor should be a
"vertical line" or something close to it.

Sat, 18 Dec 2010 01:24:24 GMT
 Install VB6 in Vista Mouse pointer in IDE form not an arrow

Quote:

> > I just installed VB6 on a Vista (no SP1) laptop and the mouse pointer
> > in the coding area of the IDE turns into a hard to see vertical line
> > instead of the usual arrowhead.

> ??? "In the coding area" the cursor is normally the text cursor (the
> "I-beam"), so it makes total sense to me that the cursor should be a
> "vertical line" or something close to it.

I have been using my Win 98 and VB6 since 1999 and somehow got the
arrowhead pointer to work as the text cursor. The I-beam cursor on my
Vista laptop if almost impossible to see, especially as I move it.
This is really annoying.

John

Sat, 18 Dec 2010 01:50:30 GMT
 Install VB6 in Vista Mouse pointer in IDE form not an arrow

Quote:
> Hi, I just installed VB6 on a Vista (no SP1) laptop and the
> mouse pointer in the coding area of the IDE turns into a hard
> to see vertical line instead of the usual arrowhead. The mouse
> pointer is the usual arrowhead when over the tool bars,
> Project viewer, etc.

You're presumably talking about the "I-beam" cursor, which is the standard
cursor shape for the "text insertion point" in all windows that allow the
user to enter and edit text. You will get exactly the same cursor in your
word processor and in NotePad and, of course, in the VB IDE code window. So,
your question really has nothing whatsoever to do with Visual Basic. The VB
code window is simply displaying the "text insertion point" I-beam cursor
that all "text windows" will display on your machine. It is in fact highly
unusual to see a machine which displays something other than the standard
I-beam cursor under those conditions, and most people would be very
uncomfortable if they used a machine which did so.

However, if you really do wish to display a different cursor instead of the
I-beam for text entry then you can easily do so, although it will affect
that cursor for all text windows on your machine, not just for the Visual
Basic code windows. Right click your Vista desktop and select "Personalize"
and then click "Mouse Pointers" in the scrollable window. Scroll down to
"Text Select", where you will see the current text selection cursor
displayed (the I-beam cursor). Then click the Browse button and you will be
presented with a list of all sorts of different cursor shapes. Select the
shape you desire and then click the OK button.

Mike

Sat, 18 Dec 2010 02:14:40 GMT
 Install VB6 in Vista Mouse pointer in IDE form not an arrow

Quote:
> I have been using my Win 98 and VB6 since 1999 and somehow got the
> arrowhead pointer to work as the text cursor. The I-beam cursor on my
> Vista laptop if almost impossible to see, especially as I move it.
> This is really annoying.

Then you must have customized your mouse cursors because as Jeff said, the
I-beam is the "standard" cursor when the pointer is over a code
window....even in Win98.

--
Mike
Microsoft MVP Visual Basic

Sat, 18 Dec 2010 02:18:48 GMT
 Install VB6 in Vista Mouse pointer in IDE form not an arrow

Quote:

> > I have been using my Win 98 and VB6 since 1999 and somehow got the
> > arrowhead pointer to work as the text cursor. The I-beam cursor on my
> > Vista laptop if almost impossible to see, especially as I move it.
> > This is really annoying.

> Then you must have customized your mouse cursors because as Jeff said, the
> I-beam is the "standard" cursor when the pointer is over a code
> window....even in Win98.

> --
> Mike
> Microsoft MVP Visual Basic

That works, Thanks. Years ago I must have changed the mouse pointer as
you have suggested.

I can now see the mouse pointer but, the USB mouse scroller doesn't
work in the
VB6 IDE code window. The scroller works elsewhere in Vista.

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Sat, 18 Dec 2010 04:36:38 GMT
 Install VB6 in Vista Mouse pointer in IDE form not an arrow

Quote:

> I can now see the mouse pointer but, the USB mouse scroller doesn't
> work in the
> VB6 IDE code window. The scroller works elsewhere in Vista.

> Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

The VB6 IDE  was published before wheels were popular.
Maybe even before they existed.

You will have to install something to help.

google "VB scrollwheel" for alternatives.
There are quite a few, and some folks have reasons
for choosing one over another.

The one I like is "wheeler"
http://www.eluent.com/wheeler.htm

        Bob
--

Sat, 18 Dec 2010 05:10:48 GMT
 Install VB6 in Vista Mouse pointer in IDE form not an arrow

Quote:
> The one I like is "wheeler"
> http://www.eluent.com/wheeler.htm

Seconded.

Sat, 18 Dec 2010 22:24:18 GMT
 Install VB6 in Vista Mouse pointer in IDE form not an arrow

Quote:

> > The one I like is "wheeler"
> >http://www.eluent.com/wheeler.htm

> Seconded.

Hey, back in business. I have my mouse pointer and the mouse wheel
working
with elent wheeler in my Vista VB6 IDE code window.

I really appreciate all the information and help.

Thanks,
John

Sun, 19 Dec 2010 01:15:43 GMT

1. Installing a VB6 (SP6) app (not VB itself) under Vista

2. arrow shape mouse pointer on text screen?

3. Making Mouse Pointer Not Visable Over Form

4. How/where to install VB6 app in Vista?

5. Secret to Installing VB6 in Vista

6. Steps to Install VB6 on Vista and Win7

7. Installing VB6 On Vista 64 gotchas?

8. up arrow, down arrow, left arrow, right arrow

9. Problem with Vista and VB6, will run under user but not administra

10. compiling VB6 on vista could not create reference comsvcs.dll

11. VB6 IDE mouse scroll in Win7 x64

12. VB6 - Mouse Pointer keeps disappearing