Version Numbering (Product and File)
Author Message
 Version Numbering (Product and File)

For reference: -
1.    The Project/Properties Make tab has at the top left, the Version
Number listed for editing as Major, Minor and Revision (no indication as to
whether file or product).
2.    When a file is compiled, we have two numbers available (as shown in
Explorer): -
        Product Version - which is the Major.Minor [00].Revision [0000]
        File Version - which is the Major.Minor [0].0.Revision [00]
3.    When getting the properties of the compiled executable, we have: -
        Product Version - which is the Major.Minor [00].Revision [0000]
        File Version - which is the Major.Minor [00].Revision [0000]

Now what I would like to achieve is as follows: -
    File Version - works as is - no changes needed
    Product Version - that I can: -
        Have it different from the File Version.
        Set the Major, Minor, Build and Revision elements for it.
        Do this either prior to compiling the Project group (individually
for each project is workable) or on the compiled executables.

Can this be done - Google is being unusually unhelpful.

--
Regards

Michael Cole

Tue, 21 Jun 2011 09:07:05 GMT
 Version Numbering (Product and File)
Hi Michael,

Those values are simply stored in the exe's resources.  Open the exe in any
resource editor and you can change them.

Quote:
> For reference: -
> 1.    The Project/Properties Make tab has at the top left, the Version
> Number listed for editing as Major, Minor and Revision (no indication as
> to whether file or product).
> 2.    When a file is compiled, we have two numbers available (as shown in
> Explorer): -
>        Product Version - which is the Major.Minor [00].Revision [0000]
>        File Version - which is the Major.Minor [0].0.Revision [00]
> 3.    When getting the properties of the compiled executable, we have: -
>        Product Version - which is the Major.Minor [00].Revision [0000]
>        File Version - which is the Major.Minor [00].Revision [0000]

> Now what I would like to achieve is as follows: -
>    File Version - works as is - no changes needed
>    Product Version - that I can: -
>        Have it different from the File Version.
>        Set the Major, Minor, Build and Revision elements for it.
>        Do this either prior to compiling the Project group (individually
> for each project is workable) or on the compiled executables.

> Can this be done - Google is being unusually unhelpful.

> --
> Regards

> Michael Cole

Tue, 21 Jun 2011 09:16:57 GMT
 Version Numbering (Product and File)
You can make your own tool to call UpdateResource() to change the version
number, or use the following command line tool(I haven't used it):

StampVer: Command line version updater
http://www.codeguru.com/tools/standalonetools/article.php/c1403

Tue, 21 Jun 2011 12:33:55 GMT

1. How to get file and product versions on vb executable

2. Product/File Version (?)

3. Product A = Product B + Product C + .......

4. File.EXE version number?

5. Reading the Version Number of a System File

6. Getting a file's version number

7. Retrieving the version number from a file

8. Comparing File Version Numbers?

9. Storing app version number with database file

10. API - File Version Number

11. Adding Version numbers to EXE files

12. File Version Numbers (obtaining)