displaying data on a separate 2nd monitor
Author Message
 displaying data on a separate 2nd monitor

Hello,

I am trying to figure out if I can display data to a second LCD
display different than what is on my notebook LCD display if Windows
XP (or Vista or 7) allows this.

I have never used a dual monitor system so I don't know how this
layout works.

I have an application that I use a notebook inside a vehicle.  Someone
who does similar work has a second monitor plugged into his VGA port.
That 2nd monitor is placed in the back window to display values to
someone looking from outside the vehicle.  The only thing though is
that they are displaying those same values on the primary (notebook
LCD).  What I would like to do is display values on a second monitor
while displaying my original GUI on the notebook LCD.

I apologize if this is not considered a 'VB' question.

thanks, David

Tue, 17 Jan 2012 02:19:29 GMT
 displaying data on a separate 2nd monitor

Quote:

> I am trying to figure out if I can display data to a second LCD
> display different than what is on my notebook LCD display if Windows
> XP (or Vista or 7) allows this.

Yes, you can use either or both monitors.

Quote:
> I have never used a dual monitor system so I don't know how this
> layout works.

See http://vb.mvps.org/samples/Monitors for a module that'll provide most all the
info you'll need.  There's also a link to an article that describes it a bit more in
depth than on that page.

Quote:
> I have an application that I use a notebook inside a vehicle.  Someone
> who does similar work has a second monitor plugged into his VGA port.
> That 2nd monitor is placed in the back window to display values to
> someone looking from outside the vehicle.  The only thing though is
> that they are displaying those same values on the primary (notebook
> LCD).  What I would like to do is display values on a second monitor
> while displaying my original GUI on the notebook LCD.

Hmmmm, well, it may also depend on whether the 2nd monitor is set to be a mirror of
the primary display (as would be the case with projectors and such) or an extension
of the primary display.
--
.NET: It's About Trust!
 http://vfred.mvps.org

Tue, 17 Jan 2012 02:26:48 GMT
 displaying data on a separate 2nd monitor

Quote:

> > I am trying to figure out if I can display data to a second LCD
> > display different than what is on my notebook LCD display if Windows
> > XP (or Vista or 7) allows this.

> Yes, you can use either or both monitors.

> > I have never used a dual monitor system so I don't know how this
> > layout works.

> Seehttp://vb.mvps.org/samples/Monitorsfor a module that'll provide most all the
> info you'll need. ?There's also a link to an article that describes it a bit more in
> depth than on that page.

> > I have an application that I use a notebook inside a vehicle. ?Someone
> > who does similar work has a second monitor plugged into his VGA port.
> > That 2nd monitor is placed in the back window to display values to
> > someone looking from outside the vehicle. ?The only thing though is
> > that they are displaying those same values on the primary (notebook
> > LCD). ?What I would like to do is display values on a second monitor
> > while displaying my original GUI on the notebook LCD.

> Hmmmm, well, it may also depend on whether the 2nd monitor is set to be a mirror of
> the primary display (as would be the case with projectors and such) or an extension
> of the primary display.
> --
> .NET: It's About Trust!
> ?http://vfred.mvps.org

Thanks for the information.  Right now I am using an old Dell Latitude
D600 that is about 6 or 7 years old.  I would imagine it would mirror
the primary display.  I wonder if newer notebooks allow you to use a
second monitor as additional screen real estate.

David

Tue, 17 Jan 2012 02:41:02 GMT
 displaying data on a separate 2nd monitor

Quote:

> > I am trying to figure out if I can display data to a second LCD
> > display different than what is on my notebook LCD display if Windows
> > XP (or Vista or 7) allows this.

> Yes, you can use either or both monitors.

> > I have never used a dual monitor system so I don't know how this
> > layout works.

> Seehttp://vb.mvps.org/samples/Monitorsfor a module that'll provide most all the
> info you'll need. ?There's also a link to an article that describes it a bit more in
> depth than on that page.

> > I have an application that I use a notebook inside a vehicle. ?Someone
> > who does similar work has a second monitor plugged into his VGA port.
> > That 2nd monitor is placed in the back window to display values to
> > someone looking from outside the vehicle. ?The only thing though is
> > that they are displaying those same values on the primary (notebook
> > LCD). ?What I would like to do is display values on a second monitor
> > while displaying my original GUI on the notebook LCD.

> Hmmmm, well, it may also depend on whether the 2nd monitor is set to be a mirror of
> the primary display (as would be the case with projectors and such) or an extension
> of the primary display.
> --
> .NET: It's About Trust!
> ?http://vfred.mvps.org

Karl, thanks for the link.  I looked at that and it looks very useful
for me.

Like I said previously I am dual monitor ignorant.  I went to my
Display property settings and noticed the 'Extend my Windows desktop
onto this monitor' setting.  I would imagine that having that setting
would allow me to increase my screen real estate and follow your code
samples.  For whatever reason I did not know that XP was that
advanced.  And possibly because of my older notebook with 32MB of
video memory although my app is text based.

David

Tue, 17 Jan 2012 02:51:41 GMT
 displaying data on a separate 2nd monitor

Quote:
> I wonder if newer notebooks allow you to use a
> second monitor as additional screen real estate.

Yes, they do.

Tue, 17 Jan 2012 02:51:42 GMT
 displaying data on a separate 2nd monitor

Quote:

>> See http://vb.mvps.org/samples/Monitorsfor a module that'll provide most all the
<<snip>>
> Karl, thanks for the link.  I looked at that and it looks very useful
> for me.

Great!

Quote:
> Like I said previously I am dual monitor ignorant.  I went to my
> Display property settings and noticed the 'Extend my Windows desktop
> onto this monitor' setting.  I would imagine that having that setting
> would allow me to increase my screen real estate and follow your code
> samples.

That's the one, yep.  If it's there, you're set.  If not, I think you only end up
with a duplicate image.
--
.NET: It's About Trust!
 http://vfred.mvps.org

Tue, 17 Jan 2012 03:27:58 GMT

1. Multiple Display Problems Cant get 2nd monitor working

2. Force application to 2nd monitor

3. FullScreen DD on 2nd monitor

4. 2nd Monitor

5. Laptop w/ 2nd monitor: make sure app opens here, Word over there?`

6. displaying values of fields to separate forms

7. How to display a row from a datagrid on a separate web form

8. Displaying a row from a datagrid on a separate web form

9. Displaying a row from a datagrid on a separate web form to enable editing

10. opening and displaying two separate databases

11. Displaying frame on a separate form at run time

12. Displaying values in separate forms