VB6 on Windows 7 64-Bit
Author Message
 VB6 on Windows 7 64-Bit

Hello-

First, i enable PC Administrator
Second, i follow http://www.*-*-*.com/
Right. VB6 is installed on Windows 7 64-Bit

Now i want to install SP6.
-setupsp6.exe doesn't run (it is a 16 bit application, -isn't it?)
-I try with rename sp698vbo.stf as acmsetup.stf, and run acmsetup.exe
Works until message error: ... installer does not detect  installed Visual
Studio 6.0 products ...

Sombody knows how to resolve this?

--
<Harvey Triana />

Thu, 28 Jun 2012 23:00:18 GMT
 VB6 on Windows 7 64-Bit

Quote:

> Hello-

> First, i enable PC Administrator
> Second, i follow
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/bill/archive/2004/07/14/10069.aspx Right. VB6
> is installed on Windows 7 64-Bit

> Now i want to install SP6.
> -setupsp6.exe doesn't run (it is a 16 bit application, -isn't it?)
> -I try with rename sp698vbo.stf as acmsetup.stf, and run acmsetup.exe
> Works until message error: ... installer does not detect  installed
> Visual Studio 6.0 products ...

> Sombody knows how to resolve this?

According to microsoft "the common directory and installation setting for
Visual Studio can become *damaged*". Whatever the hell that means. <g>

Anyway you need to "refresh the common directory".
The only thing they suggest is to re-install Visual Studio before
re-installing the SP.
Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs.
Select the Install/Uninstall tab.
Select Visual Studio xx
Select Add/Remove.
VS/VB Setup starts, select Reinstall

Microsoft talks about this as repairing "Visual Studio 6". "Visual Basic 6"
is never mentioned. <g>

I know it works for Visual Studio Enterprise. Only because we tried it out
of pure desperation - before we talked to MS Support. Don't know if it works
for the VB6 stand-alone package. But no reason to assume that it won't.
Please let me know if it works for you.

-ralph

Thu, 28 Jun 2012 23:42:09 GMT
 VB6 on Windows 7 64-Bit

Quote:
> Please let me know if it works for you

My expirience... I installed a strong application (client-server) that was
compiled in an environment of 32 bits, SP6. Next, i copy all code in my
Windows 7 x64. For instance, VB6 works fine... (session: Administrator)

<Harvey Triana />

Quote:

>> Hello-

>> First, i enable PC Administrator
>> Second, i follow
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/bill/archive/2004/07/14/10069.aspx Right. VB6
>> is installed on Windows 7 64-Bit

>> Now i want to install SP6.
>> -setupsp6.exe doesn't run (it is a 16 bit application, -isn't it?)
>> -I try with rename sp698vbo.stf as acmsetup.stf, and run acmsetup.exe
>> Works until message error: ... installer does not detect  installed
>> Visual Studio 6.0 products ...

>> Sombody knows how to resolve this?

> According to microsoft "the common directory and installation setting for
> Visual Studio can become *damaged*". Whatever the hell that means. <g>

> Anyway you need to "refresh the common directory".
> The only thing they suggest is to re-install Visual Studio before
> re-installing the SP.
> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs.
> Select the Install/Uninstall tab.
> Select Visual Studio xx
> Select Add/Remove.
> VS/VB Setup starts, select Reinstall

> Microsoft talks about this as repairing "Visual Studio 6". "Visual Basic
> 6"
> is never mentioned. <g>

> I know it works for Visual Studio Enterprise. Only because we tried it out
> of pure desperation - before we talked to MS Support. Don't know if it
> works
> for the VB6 stand-alone package. But no reason to assume that it won't.
> Please let me know if it works for you.

> -ralph

Fri, 29 Jun 2012 16:31:00 GMT
 VB6 on Windows 7 64-Bit
You received nice reply from Ralph.
Why don't you try what he's suggested and help him to find an answer?
Beats me,
Claire

Quote:
>> Please let me know if it works for you

> My expirience... I installed a strong application (client-server) that was
> compiled in an environment of 32 bits, SP6. Next, i copy all code in my
> Windows 7 x64. For instance, VB6 works fine... (session: Administrator)

> <Harvey Triana />

>>> Hello-

>>> First, i enable PC Administrator
>>> Second, i follow
>>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/bill/archive/2004/07/14/10069.aspx Right. VB6
>>> is installed on Windows 7 64-Bit

>>> Now i want to install SP6.
>>> -setupsp6.exe doesn't run (it is a 16 bit application, -isn't it?)
>>> -I try with rename sp698vbo.stf as acmsetup.stf, and run acmsetup.exe
>>> Works until message error: ... installer does not detect  installed
>>> Visual Studio 6.0 products ...

>>> Sombody knows how to resolve this?

>> According to microsoft "the common directory and installation setting for
>> Visual Studio can become *damaged*". Whatever the hell that means. <g>

>> Anyway you need to "refresh the common directory".
>> The only thing they suggest is to re-install Visual Studio before
>> re-installing the SP.
>> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs.
>> Select the Install/Uninstall tab.
>> Select Visual Studio xx
>> Select Add/Remove.
>> VS/VB Setup starts, select Reinstall

>> Microsoft talks about this as repairing "Visual Studio 6". "Visual Basic
>> 6"
>> is never mentioned. <g>

>> I know it works for Visual Studio Enterprise. Only because we tried it
>> out
>> of pure desperation - before we talked to MS Support. Don't know if it
>> works
>> for the VB6 stand-alone package. But no reason to assume that it won't.
>> Please let me know if it works for you.

>> -ralph

Sun, 01 Jul 2012 09:49:11 GMT
 VB6 on Windows 7 64-Bit

| First, i enable PC Administrator
| Second, i follow http://msmvps.com/blogs/bill/
| Right. VB6 is installed on Windows 7 64-Bit

Well, there is half the problem.  Taking advice from a site Bill McCarthy
put together is bound to fail.  He is no friend of this community.

Sun, 01 Jul 2012 11:00:38 GMT
 VB6 on Windows 7 64-Bit
Hi Harvey,

Quote:
> Hello-

> First, i enable PC Administrator
> Second, i follow
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/bill/archive/2004/07/14/10069.aspx
> Right. VB6 is installed on Windows 7 64-Bit

Cool :)
Also note if you have a MSDN subscription you can get a newer installer for
VB6 that doesn't try to install the Java runtime.

Quote:
> Now i want to install SP6.
> -setupsp6.exe doesn't run (it is a 16 bit application, -isn't it?)
> -I try with rename sp698vbo.stf as acmsetup.stf, and run acmsetup.exe
> Works until message error: ... installer does not detect  installed Visual
> Studio 6.0 products ...

> Sombody knows how to resolve this?

I had a similar problem, but fixed it by re-installing VB6. I seem to recall
some issue with the VB6 installer running again after an Office (or perhaps
VS install), and I guess that must have messed up the VB6 installation files
(probably the setup.stf). Anyway, doing a reinstall fixed the problem then
the service pack installs fine. Help about shows SP6, version 9872.

Also make sure you apply the latest cumulative update after SP6 ( especially
as SP6 introduced a couple of bugs)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=CB824E35-040...

Mon, 02 Jul 2012 09:02:12 GMT
 VB6 on Windows 7 64-Bit

Quote:
> Also note if you have a MSDN subscription you can get a newer installer
> for VB6 that doesn't try to install the Java runtime.

Can you provide more info on this?  I have not seen anything about a new
installer on MSDN Subscription.   Is this an additional download that you
run instead of the "normal" Setup?

--
Mike

Mon, 02 Jul 2012 21:45:58 GMT
 VB6 on Windows 7 64-Bit
Hi Mike,

Quote:

>> Also note if you have a MSDN subscription you can get a newer installer
>> for VB6 that doesn't try to install the Java runtime.

> Can you provide more info on this?  I have not seen anything about a new
> installer on MSDN Subscription.   Is this an additional download that you
> run instead of the "normal" Setup?

In the subscriber downloads you'll see the VB6 CD iso's.  They are basically
the same as the original one EXCEPT all Java dependencies have been removed.
MS did that as part of their settlement with Sun some years ago.

Tue, 03 Jul 2012 11:16:37 GMT
 VB6 on Windows 7 64-Bit

Quote:

> In the subscriber downloads you'll see the VB6 CD iso's.  They are
> basically the same as the original one EXCEPT all Java dependencies have
> been removed. MS did that as part of their settlement with Sun some years
> ago.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess we're still stuck with using the
work-around for Visual Studio 6 installation, since they pulled that
completely from subscriber downloads?  Do you happen to know if any MSDN
disc of Visual Studio 6 has the Java dependencies removed? I'm guessing not
since MS would have probably kept that in the downloads area, but it never
hurts to ask.

--
Mike

Tue, 03 Jul 2012 21:56:47 GMT
 VB6 on Windows 7 64-Bit

Quote:
> I guess we're still stuck with using the work-around for Visual Studio 6
> installation, since they pulled that completely from subscriber downloads?

Yes. VS6 is no longer downloadable, but VB6 is.

Wed, 04 Jul 2012 02:58:25 GMT
 VB6 on Windows 7 64-Bit
Thanks Bill.

<Harvey Triana />

Quote:
> Hi Harvey,

>> Hello-

>> First, i enable PC Administrator
>> Second, i follow
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/bill/archive/2004/07/14/10069.aspx
>> Right. VB6 is installed on Windows 7 64-Bit

> Cool :)
> Also note if you have a MSDN subscription you can get a newer installer
> for VB6 that doesn't try to install the Java runtime.

>> Now i want to install SP6.
>> -setupsp6.exe doesn't run (it is a 16 bit application, -isn't it?)
>> -I try with rename sp698vbo.stf as acmsetup.stf, and run acmsetup.exe
>> Works until message error: ... installer does not detect  installed
>> Visual Studio 6.0 products ...

>> Sombody knows how to resolve this?

> I had a similar problem, but fixed it by re-installing VB6. I seem to
> recall some issue with the VB6 installer running again after an Office (or
> perhaps VS install), and I guess that must have messed up the VB6
> installation files (probably the setup.stf). Anyway, doing a reinstall
> fixed the problem then the service pack installs fine. Help about shows
> SP6, version 9872.

> Also make sure you apply the latest cumulative update after SP6 (
> especially as SP6 introduced a couple of bugs)
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=CB824E35-040...

Wed, 04 Jul 2012 10:23:59 GMT
 VB6 on Windows 7 64-Bit
Wow, thanks for the link.  I had installation problems that stumped me for
about three months, and the link cleared the problems right up.  In our shop,
we still have thousands of lines of custom VB6 code so converting over isn't
monetarily feasible.

This should help us move to the next set of development computers without
the reliance upon the XP OS for compatibility issues.

Thanks for the info Bill!

Quote:

> Hi Harvey,

> > Hello-

> > First, i enable PC Administrator
> > Second, i follow
> > http://msmvps.com/blogs/bill/archive/2004/07/14/10069.aspx
> > Right. VB6 is installed on Windows 7 64-Bit

> Cool :)
> Also note if you have a MSDN subscription you can get a newer installer for
> VB6 that doesn't try to install the Java runtime.

> > Now i want to install SP6.
> > -setupsp6.exe doesn't run (it is a 16 bit application, -isn't it?)
> > -I try with rename sp698vbo.stf as acmsetup.stf, and run acmsetup.exe
> > Works until message error: ... installer does not detect  installed Visual
> > Studio 6.0 products ...

> > Sombody knows how to resolve this?

> I had a similar problem, but fixed it by re-installing VB6. I seem to recall
> some issue with the VB6 installer running again after an Office (or perhaps
> VS install), and I guess that must have messed up the VB6 installation files
> (probably the setup.stf). Anyway, doing a reinstall fixed the problem then
> the service pack installs fine. Help about shows SP6, version 9872.

> Also make sure you apply the latest cumulative update after SP6 ( especially
> as SP6 introduced a couple of bugs)
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=CB824E35-040...

> .

Wed, 08 Aug 2012 09:34:01 GMT

1. VB6 on Windows 7 64-bit

2. VB6 With 64 bit Windows

3. Windows XP 64-bit Edition Version 2003

4. register ocx on Windows 7 64 bit

5. VB 6 IDE on 64-bit Windows

6. VB6 on Win7 64-bit

7. Installing VB6 on Win7 64 bit

8. New problem installing VB6 on Win7 64 bit

9. How to register a 32 bit DLL on 64 bit Machine

10. 32/64-Bit Compiler beats VB and C!

11. IEEE 64 Bit Floating Point Date Format

12. 64 Bit Double Overflow