Embossed form text
Author Message
 Embossed form text

Hi all,

This is for that telnet application rewrite I am doing. The
re-write is going well.

My question pertains to drawing (large) text on a form background.

Think of the background of an MDI parent that is shown as the
'ButtonFace' color before any MDI children forms are opened. (That is
similar to how it works.) On that background I'd like to show the company
name and have it appear that it is just 'embossed' into the background.

I don't want to use a graphic, as the color shown is a system color that
users can change, so this would not work.

Would one technique be to have a (hidden) graphic of the text in black
only, and use that as a mask to XOR (or some operation) directly on the
form background ?

It can't be that simple though, as embossed text has a 'leading' and
'trailing' edge that appear in 3D, so you see the side of one edge, and
not the other. Maybe just slightly changing the shade will be enough and
it won;t need to look 3D.

Thanks in advance,

DanS

Tue, 10 Jul 2012 01:40:14 GMT
 Embossed form text

Quote:
> Hi all,

> This is for that telnet application rewrite I am doing. The
> re-write is going well.

> My question pertains to drawing (large) text on a form background.

> Think of the background of an MDI parent that is shown as the
> 'ButtonFace' color before any MDI children forms are opened. (That is
> similar to how it works.) On that background I'd like to show the company
> name and have it appear that it is just 'embossed' into the background.

> I don't want to use a graphic, as the color shown is a system color that
> users can change, so this would not work.

> Would one technique be to have a (hidden) graphic of the text in black
> only, and use that as a mask to XOR (or some operation) directly on the
> form background ?

> It can't be that simple though, as embossed text has a 'leading' and
> 'trailing' edge that appear in 3D, so you see the side of one edge, and
> not the other. Maybe just slightly changing the shade will be enough and
> it won;t need to look 3D.

I'm not clear on exactly what you're looking for, but I've printed
embossed-appearing text on forms and printouts by just printing the same
text several times. To get a shadow effect, print using the shadow color
first, then another color several pixels to the left and above the first.

To make an embossed appearance, you need it to display a lighter color at
the bottom-right, and darker at the top-left. So print the text using a
button shadow color at the upper left, a button highlight color at the lower
right, then the text in the middle. You may need to change the color of the
text, and print several highlight and shadow images.

Anyhow, you can get some good effects that way, and messing around with them
can be fun.

--
Regards,

Rick Raisley
heavymetal-A-T-bellsouth-D-O-T-net

Tue, 10 Jul 2012 01:47:30 GMT
 Embossed form text
DanS submitted this idea :

Quote:
> Hi all,

> This is for that telnet application rewrite I am doing. The
> re-write is going well.

> My question pertains to drawing (large) text on a form background.

> Think of the background of an MDI parent that is shown as the
> 'ButtonFace' color before any MDI children forms are opened. (That is
> similar to how it works.) On that background I'd like to show the company
> name and have it appear that it is just 'embossed' into the background.

> I don't want to use a graphic, as the color shown is a system color that
> users can change, so this would not work.

> Would one technique be to have a (hidden) graphic of the text in black
> only, and use that as a mask to XOR (or some operation) directly on the
> form background ?

> It can't be that simple though, as embossed text has a 'leading' and
> 'trailing' edge that appear in 3D, so you see the side of one edge, and
> not the other. Maybe just slightly changing the shade will be enough and
> it won;t need to look 3D.

Take the example at http://vb.mvps.org/samples/MdiBack, which embeds a
picturebox in the MDIForm client space on which you can draw, then
apply the technique Rick suggests to achieve the embossed look.

--
.NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

Tue, 10 Jul 2012 02:21:01 GMT
 Embossed form text

Quote:
> Think of the background of an MDI parent that is shown as the
> 'ButtonFace' color before any MDI children forms are opened.

All MDI apps I've ever seen have ApplicationWorkspace for the background,
for what it's worth....

Tue, 10 Jul 2012 02:43:11 GMT
 Embossed form text
<SNIP>

Quote:

>> It can't be that simple though, as embossed text has a 'leading' and
>> 'trailing' edge that appear in 3D, so you see the side of one edge,
>> and not the other. Maybe just slightly changing the shade will be
>> enough and it won;t need to look 3D.

> I'm not clear on exactly what you're looking for, but I've printed
> embossed-appearing text on forms and printouts by just printing the
> same text several times. To get a shadow effect, print using the
> shadow color first, then another color several pixels to the left and
> above the first.

> To make an embossed appearance, you need it to display a lighter color
> at the bottom-right, and darker at the top-left. So print the text
> using a button shadow color at the upper left, a button highlight
> color at the lower right, then the text in the middle. You may need to
> change the color of the text, and print several highlight and shadow
> images.

> Anyhow, you can get some good effects that way, and messing around
> with them can be fun.

Yeah, odd that it would be that easy. I'm all for the simple way out as
long as it works. Why make things more complicated than they really need
to be.

And actually, I just overlaid a couple labels, one slightly offset from
the other, picked up the form background using GetPixel, broke out the
R,G, & B, modify slightly, then set one label forecolor, modify the R G
B's again, set the other label forecolr.

It seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

(To correct my OP though, it less embossing and more like a watermark,
which is what I was going for.)

Thanks to all.

Tue, 10 Jul 2012 09:35:25 GMT
 Embossed form text

Quote:
> <SNIP>

>>> It can't be that simple though, as embossed text has a 'leading' and
>>> 'trailing' edge that appear in 3D, so you see the side of one edge,
>>> and not the other. Maybe just slightly changing the shade will be
>>> enough and it won;t need to look 3D.

>> I'm not clear on exactly what you're looking for, but I've printed
>> embossed-appearing text on forms and printouts by just printing the
>> same text several times. To get a shadow effect, print using the
>> shadow color first, then another color several pixels to the left and
>> above the first.

>> To make an embossed appearance, you need it to display a lighter color
>> at the bottom-right, and darker at the top-left. So print the text
>> using a button shadow color at the upper left, a button highlight
>> color at the lower right, then the text in the middle. You may need to
>> change the color of the text, and print several highlight and shadow
>> images.

>> Anyhow, you can get some good effects that way, and messing around
>> with them can be fun.

> Yeah, odd that it would be that easy. I'm all for the simple way out as
> long as it works. Why make things more complicated than they really need
> to be.

You can do a lot of other neat effects that way. For example, I often like
to print black text with a thin white border or vice versa. All I do is,
again, print say the white (border) text in the required location but 1-2
pixels to the right, then 1-2 pixels down, then left, then up, and finally
print the black in the center. It's not perfect, but it's VERY quick, and
looks pretty darn good. Same with shadows, embossing, raising, etc. Doing
the same thing with labels works as well, but if you have a screen full of
it, it's easier and quicker to just print on the form or picture box.

Quote:
> And actually, I just overlaid a couple labels, one slightly offset from
> the other, picked up the form background using GetPixel, broke out the
> R,G, & B, modify slightly, then set one label forecolor, modify the R G
> B's again, set the other label forecolr.

Yep, that would work too.

Quote:
> It seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

> (To correct my OP though, it less embossing and more like a watermark,
> which is what I was going for.)

For a watermark, you can just use a faded version of what you're looking
for. I do that a lot with graphics, fading them out to act as a watermark,
but again, it's quicker with text.

All in all, a fun technique that can give you some very nice effects.

--
Regards,

Rick Raisley
heavymetal-A-T-bellsouth-D-O-T-net

Tue, 10 Jul 2012 22:18:41 GMT

1. Embossed Text

2. EMBOSSING

3. Embossed Icons

4. Embossed Icon

5. Embossed icons on toolbar buttons

6. Using DrawState API to Emboss a PictureBox - PROBLEMS

7. Emboss/Grey Effect

8. Emboss/Grey Effect on Picture

9. Emboss/Grey Effect

10. Embossing Graphics and manuplation