VB 6.0 runtime/library files
Author Message
 VB 6.0 runtime/library files

Hello
We have a VB 6.0 executable application run against an Access DB. We have
different forms of Windows it is run on: XP, Vista.

I am looking for an executable that will install all the needed run
time/library type files required by VB 6.0 on different operating systems.
The file Microsoft provides on their website (VBRun60sp6.exe:
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ) seems like it will take
care of all pre-Vista and pre-XP SP2 operating systems, however not XP SP2 or
Vista themselves.

Is there an executable available that will install these types of files on
the newer operating systems: XP SP 2, Vista, Windows 7?

Also, does anyone know if the VB 6.0 Service Pack 6 Cumulative Update
( http://www.*-*-*.com/ )
includes all the library/support files to run VB 6.0 appls or whether it just
contains new, updated files?

Paul

Sat, 11 Feb 2012 00:14:01 GMT
 VB 6.0 runtime/library files

Quote:
> Hello
> We have a VB 6.0 executable application run against an Access DB. We have
> different forms of Windows it is run on: XP, Vista.

> I am looking for an executable that will install all the needed run
> time/library type files required by VB 6.0 on different operating systems.
> The file Microsoft provides on their website (VBRun60sp6.exe:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/290887) seems like it will
> take
> care of all pre-Vista and pre-XP SP2 operating systems, however not XP SP2
> or
> Vista themselves.

> Is there an executable available that will install these types of files on
> the newer operating systems: XP SP 2, Vista, Windows 7?

XP Sp2/3 and Vista (and later versions of Windows) already have the latest
VB6 runtime files. However, this is just the CORE runtime files. No version
of Windows comes preinstalled with OCXs and other DLLs your app may use. Now
it's possible the computer might come with other pre-installed software that
just happens to install OCX/DLL files, but you can't rely on that because
they don't ship as part of the OS.

There should not be a danger installing VBRun60sp6.exe. It simply won't
update any files if newer versions already exist.

Quote:

> Also, does anyone know if the VB 6.0 Service Pack 6 Cumulative Update
> (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=CB824E35-040...)
> includes all the library/support files to run VB 6.0 appls or whether it
> just
> contains new, updated files?

This is not for distribution to users of your app.  This is for updating the
VB6 IDE to service pack 6 on your development computer(s). It won't install
if the IDE isn't installed.

--
Mike

Sat, 11 Feb 2012 00:46:10 GMT
 VB 6.0 runtime/library files

Quote:
> Hello
> We have a VB 6.0 executable application run against an Access DB. We have
> different forms of Windows it is run on: XP, Vista.

> I am looking for an executable that will install all the needed run
> time/library type files required by VB 6.0 on different operating systems.
> The file Microsoft provides on their website (VBRun60sp6.exe:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/290887) seems like it will
> take
> care of all pre-Vista and pre-XP SP2 operating systems, however not XP SP2
> or
> Vista themselves.

> Is there an executable available that will install these types of files on
> the newer operating systems: XP SP 2, Vista, Windows 7?

You cannot install, register, or update VB6 runtime files on Vista/2008
Server/7. These are protected system files, including their registry
entries. The Package and Deployment Wizard checks the version, and because
these OS's always have a higher version, it doesn't update nor register
them.

From the link below, MS said that "there are no plans to include VB6 runtime
in future versions of Windows beyond Windows 7.", so after Windows 7, you
have to install or update the VB6 runtimes.

Support Statement for Visual Basic 6.0 on Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008
and Windows 7
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbasic/ms788708.aspx

There are other files that you cannot update. These files are listed under
the heading "Supported and Shipping in Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008,
and Windows 7".

Quote:
> Also, does anyone know if the VB 6.0 Service Pack 6 Cumulative Update
> (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=CB824E35-040...)
> includes all the library/support files to run VB 6.0 appls or whether it
> just
> contains new, updated files?

I don't recommend that you apply this update unless it has been proven that
it's free of issues, but test in Virtual PC environment to see if it makes
your application behave incorrectly in some way in case the end user already
have this update. When they first released the update in December 2008, some
have found issues in it. See the related MSKB article in the link you
provided, here is a direct link:

Description of the cumulative update rollup for the Visual Basic 6.0 Service
Pack 6 Runtime Extended Files
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=957924

In particular, see the heading: "List of fixes to issues discovered in
December 2008 Cumulative Update for Visual Basic 6.0 Service Pack 6 (SP6)
Runtime Extended Files".

Sat, 11 Feb 2012 01:43:51 GMT
 VB 6.0 runtime/library files
Hi Mike
the latest VB6 runtime files. However, this is just the CORE runtime files.
No version
of Windows comes preinstalled with OCXs and other DLLs your app may use."

My problem is that I am getting runtime errors for missing files (i.e.
TABCTL32.OCX) that my application apparently uses that are not part of the
CORE runtime files. Do you know if the "VBRun60sp6.exe" comes with these
files or do you know of another Microsoft download that has these types of
files in it for XP, Vista, etc.?

Paul

Quote:

> > Hello
> > We have a VB 6.0 executable application run against an Access DB. We have
> > different forms of Windows it is run on: XP, Vista.

> > I am looking for an executable that will install all the needed run
> > time/library type files required by VB 6.0 on different operating systems.
> > The file Microsoft provides on their website (VBRun60sp6.exe:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/290887) seems like it will
> > take
> > care of all pre-Vista and pre-XP SP2 operating systems, however not XP SP2
> > or
> > Vista themselves.

> > Is there an executable available that will install these types of files on
> > the newer operating systems: XP SP 2, Vista, Windows 7?

> XP Sp2/3 and Vista (and later versions of Windows) already have the latest
> VB6 runtime files. However, this is just the CORE runtime files. No version
> of Windows comes preinstalled with OCXs and other DLLs your app may use. Now
> it's possible the computer might come with other pre-installed software that
> just happens to install OCX/DLL files, but you can't rely on that because
> they don't ship as part of the OS.

> There should not be a danger installing VBRun60sp6.exe. It simply won't
> update any files if newer versions already exist.

> > Also, does anyone know if the VB 6.0 Service Pack 6 Cumulative Update
> > (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=CB824E35-040...)
> > includes all the library/support files to run VB 6.0 appls or whether it
> > just
> > contains new, updated files?

> This is not for distribution to users of your app.  This is for updating the
> VB6 IDE to service pack 6 on your development computer(s). It won't install
> if the IDE isn't installed.

> --
> Mike

Sat, 11 Feb 2012 02:51:02 GMT
 VB 6.0 runtime/library files
Hi Mike
the latest VB6 runtime files. However, this is just the CORE runtime files.
No version
of Windows comes preinstalled with OCXs and other DLLs your app may use."

My problem is that the application we have apparently requires some of the
non-CORE runtime files that are not part of the operating system (i.e.
TABCTL32.OCX). Do you know if VBRun60sp6.exe has these non-CORE files in it
or know of another download that does have them?

Paul

Quote:

> > Hello
> > We have a VB 6.0 executable application run against an Access DB. We have
> > different forms of Windows it is run on: XP, Vista.

> > I am looking for an executable that will install all the needed run
> > time/library type files required by VB 6.0 on different operating systems.
> > The file Microsoft provides on their website (VBRun60sp6.exe:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/290887) seems like it will
> > take
> > care of all pre-Vista and pre-XP SP2 operating systems, however not XP SP2
> > or
> > Vista themselves.

> > Is there an executable available that will install these types of files on
> > the newer operating systems: XP SP 2, Vista, Windows 7?

> XP Sp2/3 and Vista (and later versions of Windows) already have the latest
> VB6 runtime files. However, this is just the CORE runtime files. No version
> of Windows comes preinstalled with OCXs and other DLLs your app may use. Now
> it's possible the computer might come with other pre-installed software that
> just happens to install OCX/DLL files, but you can't rely on that because
> they don't ship as part of the OS.

> There should not be a danger installing VBRun60sp6.exe. It simply won't
> update any files if newer versions already exist.

> > Also, does anyone know if the VB 6.0 Service Pack 6 Cumulative Update
> > (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=CB824E35-040...)
> > includes all the library/support files to run VB 6.0 appls or whether it
> > just
> > contains new, updated files?

> This is not for distribution to users of your app.  This is for updating the
> VB6 IDE to service pack 6 on your development computer(s). It won't install
> if the IDE isn't installed.

> --
> Mike

Sat, 11 Feb 2012 02:59:01 GMT
 VB 6.0 runtime/library files

Quote:
> Hi Mike

> have
> the latest VB6 runtime files. However, this is just the CORE runtime
> files.
> No version
> of Windows comes preinstalled with OCXs and other DLLs your app may use."

> My problem is that I am getting runtime errors for missing files (i.e.
> TABCTL32.OCX) that my application apparently uses that are not part of the
> CORE runtime files. Do you know if the "VBRun60sp6.exe" comes with these
> files or do you know of another Microsoft download that has these types of
> files in it for XP, Vista, etc.?

lists the core runtime files.  But, I'll list them anyway (since it's very
easy to just copy and paste from that article):

Asycfilt.dll 2.40.4275.1 144 KB (147,728 bytes)
Comcat.dll 4.71.1460.1 21.7 KB (22,288 bytes)
Msvbvm60.dll 6.0.97.82 1.32 MB (1,386,496 bytes)
Oleaut32.dll 2.40.4275.1 584 KB (598,288 bytes)
Olepro32.dll 5.0.4275.1 160 KB (164,112 bytes)
Stdole2.tlb 2.40.4275.1 17.5 KB (17,920 bytes)

Anything else that your app uses, you must distribute with your app
(assuming the file is legally redistributable, some are not; it's your
responsibility to know). This usually means creating a Setup program,
including OCX/DLL files (along with your app's EXE file of course), and
*properly* installing all files.

Gotta be a little concerned that you wrote "apparently uses".  You should
KNOW what files your app uses. It can't be a guessing game.

--
Mike

Sat, 11 Feb 2012 03:16:39 GMT
 VB 6.0 runtime/library files

Quote:
>My problem is that I am getting runtime errors for missing files (i.e.
>TABCTL32.OCX) that my application apparently uses that are not part of the
>CORE runtime files.

You're not using the installer that came with VB?  It looks through the code
and finds the OCX, DLL, and other files automatically.  (It does not find MDB
files or files that you add independently of the VB environment.)

============
DK does PC tech support for business & personal users, and
is the toast of the Rite Spot cafe when Annie isn't working.

Sat, 11 Feb 2012 04:32:55 GMT
 VB 6.0 runtime/library files
It seems you only got the compiled app, not VB. Then your only way is to
copy the needed files to the target PC, and register them manually. Just
make sure they are freely ditributable ;)

/Henning

Quote:
> Hi Mike

> have
> the latest VB6 runtime files. However, this is just the CORE runtime
> files.
> No version
> of Windows comes preinstalled with OCXs and other DLLs your app may use."

> My problem is that the application we have apparently requires some of the
> non-CORE runtime files that are not part of the operating system (i.e.
> TABCTL32.OCX). Do you know if VBRun60sp6.exe has these non-CORE files in
> it
> or know of another download that does have them?

> Paul

>> > Hello
>> > We have a VB 6.0 executable application run against an Access DB. We
>> > have
>> > different forms of Windows it is run on: XP, Vista.

>> > I am looking for an executable that will install all the needed run
>> > time/library type files required by VB 6.0 on different operating
>> > systems.
>> > The file Microsoft provides on their website (VBRun60sp6.exe:
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/290887) seems like it will
>> > take
>> > care of all pre-Vista and pre-XP SP2 operating systems, however not XP
>> > SP2
>> > or
>> > Vista themselves.

>> > Is there an executable available that will install these types of files
>> > on
>> > the newer operating systems: XP SP 2, Vista, Windows 7?

>> XP Sp2/3 and Vista (and later versions of Windows) already have the
>> latest
>> VB6 runtime files. However, this is just the CORE runtime files. No
>> version
>> of Windows comes preinstalled with OCXs and other DLLs your app may use.
>> Now
>> it's possible the computer might come with other pre-installed software
>> that
>> just happens to install OCX/DLL files, but you can't rely on that because
>> they don't ship as part of the OS.

>> There should not be a danger installing VBRun60sp6.exe. It simply won't
>> update any files if newer versions already exist.

>> > Also, does anyone know if the VB 6.0 Service Pack 6 Cumulative Update
>> > (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=CB824E35-040...)
>> > includes all the library/support files to run VB 6.0 appls or whether
>> > it
>> > just
>> > contains new, updated files?

>> This is not for distribution to users of your app.  This is for updating
>> the
>> VB6 IDE to service pack 6 on your development computer(s). It won't
>> install
>> if the IDE isn't installed.

>> --
>> Mike

Sat, 11 Feb 2012 06:28:38 GMT
 VB 6.0 runtime/library files
Take a look here http://www.randem.com/softwaresupport.html

Look closer at the Automatic OS Updater.

Quote:
> Hello
> We have a VB 6.0 executable application run against an Access DB. We have
> different forms of Windows it is run on: XP, Vista.

> I am looking for an executable that will install all the needed run
> time/library type files required by VB 6.0 on different operating systems.
> The file Microsoft provides on their website (VBRun60sp6.exe:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/290887) seems like it will
> take
> care of all pre-Vista and pre-XP SP2 operating systems, however not XP SP2
> or
> Vista themselves.

> Is there an executable available that will install these types of files on
> the newer operating systems: XP SP 2, Vista, Windows 7?

> Also, does anyone know if the VB 6.0 Service Pack 6 Cumulative Update
> (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=CB824E35-040...)
> includes all the library/support files to run VB 6.0 appls or whether it
> just
> contains new, updated files?

> Paul

Sat, 11 Feb 2012 19:02:36 GMT

1. Runtime libraries version 6.0

2. VB 4.0 Runtime Libraries

3. Which Runtime Library for VB 4.0

4. vb 6.0 Runtime

5. Call VB 6.0 Runtime from DotNet...

6. runtime error # 3218 with VB 6.0

7. VB 6.0 DataGrid Row Color change at runtime

8. ActiveX can't create object, Runtime 429 VB 6.0

9. VB 6.0 - Forms resize at runtime

10. runtime report creation using vb 6.0

11. VB 6.0 Creating Controls At Runtime

12. VB 6.0 Runtimes available now!