can't make form bigger than size of the screen in VB
Author Message
 can't make form bigger than size of the screen in VB

I'm new to Visual Basic, so this is probably a basic thing, but here
goes.  In Access, you can put headers and footers on forms.  I need to
do this in VB 5.0 because I have a long form, and I want the info in
the header and footer to always appear on the screen as the user
scrolls through the detail section of the form.  How do you do this in
VB?  In VB, I can't even seem to get the form to size larger than the
screen size so that I can put all the controls I need for the detail
section of the form.

Thu, 06 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 can't make form bigger than size of the screen in VB

I don't think it's possible to do in VB5. It looks as though the maximum
form height for a 640x480 screen is 7200 twips (screen height). You will
probably have to segment your form into several popup forms, or use a tab
control to put the controls in logical groups.
-----
Arvin Meyer

Quote:

>I'm new to Visual Basic, so this is probably a basic thing, but here
>goes.  In Access, you can put headers and footers on forms.  I need to
>do this in VB 5.0 because I have a long form, and I want the info in
>the header and footer to always appear on the screen as the user
>scrolls through the detail section of the form.  How do you do this in
>VB?  In VB, I can't even seem to get the form to size larger than the
>screen size so that I can put all the controls I need for the detail
>section of the form.

Thu, 06 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 can't make form bigger than size of the screen in VB

You can only make a form so big by dragging it, but you can make it
larger by setting the Height and Width properties in the property
window to the size you desire.

Stephane

Quote:
> I'm new to Visual Basic, so this is probably a basic thing, but here
> goes.  In Access, you can put headers and footers on forms.  I need to
> do this in VB 5.0 because I have a long form, and I want the info in
> the header and footer to always appear on the screen as the user
> scrolls through the detail section of the form.  How do you do this in
> VB?  In VB, I can't even seem to get the form to size larger than the
> screen size so that I can put all the controls I need for the detail
> section of the form.

Fri, 07 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 can't make form bigger than size of the screen in VB

Not so!

I always use the property sheet in VB5, and if you enter a number larger
than 7200, VB will reduce it to 7200. In Access, of course you are
semi-correct, you can make it larger. But you can drag it larger also. The
question was about VB5, not Access; although it was cross-posted everywhere.
-----
Arvin Meyer

Quote:

>You can only make a form so big by dragging it, but you can make it
>larger by setting the Height and Width properties in the property
>window to the size you desire.

>Stephane

>> I'm new to Visual Basic, so this is probably a basic thing, but here
>> goes.  In Access, you can put headers and footers on forms.  I need to
>> do this in VB 5.0 because I have a long form, and I want the info in
>> the header and footer to always appear on the screen as the user
>> scrolls through the detail section of the form.  How do you do this in
>> VB?  In VB, I can't even seem to get the form to size larger than the
>> screen size so that I can put all the controls I need for the detail
>> section of the form.

Fri, 07 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 can't make form bigger than size of the screen in VB

June,

If you run the VB5 IDE in MDI mode you can scroll forms that are physically
larger than the current resolution would allow.  I assume the target
run-time machine is running in a higher resolution than you?  Usually the
developer is the one with the highest resolution.

Good luck
David Phillips

Quote:
> I'm new to Visual Basic, so this is probably a basic thing, but here
> goes.  In Access, you can put headers and footers on forms.  I need to
> do this in VB 5.0 because I have a long form, and I want the info in
> the header and footer to always appear on the screen as the user
> scrolls through the detail section of the form.  How do you do this in
> VB?  In VB, I can't even seem to get the form to size larger than the
> screen size so that I can put all the controls I need for the detail
> section of the form.

Fri, 07 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 can't make form bigger than size of the screen in VB

The form in an SDI document will only expand to the size allowable by
the resolution supported.  there are several solutions to this problem
depending on the nature of the application you are creating.

MDI solution: This is one way to solve the problem however there are
drawbacks to this and if you are really creating a database that looks
like a database this is probably not the solution

I have just recently created a database by splitting the database amoung
two forms.  I did this because it made sense...the user can page to the
next form instaed of scrolling through a long form to fill in the
information.  i personally am real tired of scrolling through lopng
forms, especially to fill in the blanks.  The problem to this solution
lies in the communication between the two forms.  I created a public
declaration in a sub main module which declares a database and recordset
type object...this allows any form to access the data.  I control the
movement of records on the first form through code, this then updates
the second page, very important. I tried using the built in data
controls for all of this but found to many error conditons.  this is one
of those times coding will work better.

Another possibility is to use a Sheridan control that will place scroll
bars on your form, this I believe will allow for the larger form.

If you get stuck let me know, I have just finished my main form that
takes care of all of these problems.

G.H.

Fri, 07 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 can't make form bigger than size of the screen in VB

Quote:

> I'm new to Visual Basic, so this is probably a basic thing, but here
> goes.  In Access, you can put headers and footers on forms.  I need to
> do this in VB 5.0 because I have a long form, and I want the info in
> the header and footer to always appear on the screen as the user
> scrolls through the detail section of the form.  How do you do this in
> VB?

Hi,

Open a MDI-form paste some pictureBoxes and check out the
'align'-property.

Open a Form and set its child property to true. At run time you can set
its width and height.

Quote:
>In VB, I can't even seem to get the form to size larger than the
> screen size so that I can put all the controls I need for the detail
> section of the form.

At design-time I usually use pictureboxes as a container for other
controls. At run-time I simply move them to their new position.

Hope this helps

Michaela

Fri, 07 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 can't make form bigger than size of the screen in VB

Thanks to all who gave suggestions.  I have decided to a tab control
to split up my form.  Someone suggested that it's not good design to
have that much info on one form anyway.  Arvin, I'm sorry if I
offended you by cross-posting this message "everywhere." In addition
to several Visual Basic newsgroups,  I posted in 3 forms- related
Access newsgroups, because I thought that people who read these
newsgroups may have grappled with the same problem, since I'm
rewriting an Access application.

Fri, 07 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 can't make form bigger than size of the screen in VB

Unfortunately, the functionality that you want does not exist in VB ...but
there is a work-around that you can try.

Take a look at Microsoft's KnowledgeBase under "Q140878" at
"www.microsoft.com/kb".

Hope it helps...

-Joe

Quote:
> I'm new to Visual Basic, so this is probably a basic thing, but here
> goes.  In Access, you can put headers and footers on forms.  I need to
> do this in VB 5.0 because I have a long form, and I want the info in
> the header and footer to always appear on the screen as the user
> scrolls through the detail section of the form.  How do you do this in
> VB?  In VB, I can't even seem to get the form to size larger than the
> screen size so that I can put all the controls I need for the detail
> section of the form.

Sun, 09 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 can't make form bigger than size of the screen in VB

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 can't make form bigger than size of the screen in VB

Quote:

> The form in an SDI document will only expand to the size allowable by
> the resolution supported.  there are several solutions to this problem
> depending on the nature of the application you are creating.

> MDI solution: This is one way to solve the problem however there are
> drawbacks to this and if you are really creating a database that looks
> like a database this is probably not the solution

> I have just recently created a database by splitting the database amoung
> two forms.  I did this because it made sense...the user can page to the
> next form instaed of scrolling through a long form to fill in the
> information.  i personally am real tired of scrolling through lopng
> forms, especially to fill in the blanks.  The problem to this solution
> lies in the communication between the two forms.  I created a public
> declaration in a sub main module which declares a database and recordset
> type object...this allows any form to access the data.  I control the
> movement of records on the first form through code, this then updates
> the second page, very important. I tried using the built in data
> controls for all of this but found to many error conditons.  this is one
> of those times coding will work better.

> Another possibility is to use a Sheridan control that will place scroll
> bars on your form, this I believe will allow for the larger form.

> If you get stuck let me know, I have just finished my main form that
> takes care of all of these problems.

> G.H.

I really need to know how to get an SDI form to scroll. I have been
trying to do this using APi calls and setting windows classes... what is
this Sheridan control and how do i get it????????????

thanks,

Fred

Mon, 10 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 can't make form bigger than size of the screen in VB

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 can't make form bigger than size of the screen in VB

Create a 'view port'. Stick a picture box on the form and stick your
controls on the picture box. Slide the picture box up and down on the form
using a scroll bar to make it look like your form is scrolling. There's a
Microsoft TechNet article on this somewhere... Never 'assume' that a user
is going to have a screen larger than 640x480 and allow your application to
accommodate resizing to larger monitors. There are still plenty of older
laptops out there, and even people here at work have 17" monitors that are
set to 640x480.

There used to be a control called vbascroll.vbx in the 16-bit world that
came from Sherridan. Last time I checked, they had no plans to create a
32-bit OCX version of this control.

Tom

Mon, 17 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. can't make form bigger than size of the screen in VB

2. Form bigger than screen size!

3. Form'size is too big!!!

4. Form's size is too big!!!

5. 'Canned' data in VB program

6. Making a child form much bigger than the parent MDI form

7. Enlarging form to user's screen size

8. Screen Resolution's and Scalable Form size

9. Best way to size a form to different screen sizes

10. VB 4.0 Form/Controls Auto Resize to Fit the Screen Size

11. Small/big fonts affect form/pictures size??

12. Making caption bar on form smaller (like VB's toolbox)