Popup Notification
Author Message
 Popup Notification

Hello,

We are looking at implementing something similar to "winpopup" notification.
Basically, we want to notify users immediately of mission critical problems.
Our client base is mostly Windows 98.

We have thought about having the users run winpopup, but they could
"accidently" close it, so we ruled that out.

I bought Mabry's mslot component, but it is a 16-bit app.  We would like to
go with a 32-bit app if possible.

Has anybody been able to implement a 32-bit mailslot solution in a Windows
9X environment using VB (if somebody has C++ code to share, that would be
great).  If not, if anybody knows of another solution (using pipes, tcp/ip
broadcast, etc.) that they have used, would you be willing to share it with
me?

Thanks in advance,
cj

Sun, 13 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Popup Notification

Quote:

>We have thought about having the users run winpopup, but they could
>"accidently" close it, so we ruled that out.

Curtis,

why not simply have a WinPopup icon on their desktops? If they
close it, they can restart it any time.

Or do you mean they might close it and leave it closed for
extended periods of time, so they cannot receive any messages?

Perhaps a way can be devised to restart WinPopup automatically
when they close it. Perhaps someone can write a little service
that checks periodically whether WinPopup is still present. If
not, it gets restarted.

Just a few ideas for simple solutions.

Hans-Georg

[No mail please]

Sun, 13 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Popup Notification
Drop me a lines and I could send you a few classes that I have created to
parse the mailslot functions (a Messager==client side of a mailslot, and a
Looper==the server side who creates the mailslot)

Hope this helps.

DevTeam
MMedia Systems

Quote:

>Hello,

>We are looking at implementing something similar to "winpopup"
notification.
>Basically, we want to notify users immediately of mission critical
problems.
>Our client base is mostly Windows 98.

>We have thought about having the users run winpopup, but they could
>"accidently" close it, so we ruled that out.

>I bought Mabry's mslot component, but it is a 16-bit app.  We would like to
>go with a 32-bit app if possible.

>Has anybody been able to implement a 32-bit mailslot solution in a Windows
>9X environment using VB (if somebody has C++ code to share, that would be
>great).  If not, if anybody knows of another solution (using pipes, tcp/ip
>broadcast, etc.) that they have used, would you be willing to share it with
>me?

>Thanks in advance,
>cj

Mon, 14 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Popup Notification

Visit http://www.winpopup.com/auvis.html and get Vypress Auvis. It has
feature to prevent users from closing the program. Very nice and
useful..

Quote:
> Hello,

> We are looking at implementing something similar to "winpopup"
notification.
> Basically, we want to notify users immediately of mission critical
problems.
> Our client base is mostly Windows 98.

> We have thought about having the users run winpopup, but they could
> "accidently" close it, so we ruled that out.

> I bought Mabry's mslot component, but it is a 16-bit app.  We would
like to
> go with a 32-bit app if possible.

> Has anybody been able to implement a 32-bit mailslot solution in a
Windows
> 9X environment using VB (if somebody has C++ code to share, that
would be
> great).  If not, if anybody knows of another solution (using pipes,
tcp/ip
> broadcast, etc.) that they have used, would you be willing to share
it with
> me?

> Thanks in advance,
> cj

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Mon, 14 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Popup Notification
I am a newbie in need of a similar solution. How do you send a message using
winpopup? I'm using VB6 for the application, does any one have some code
samples? Is it possible to use a simple command-line like WINPOPUP username
"Hello!" or ??

Thanks in advance,

Claus Thomasen

Wed, 23 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Popup Notification

Quote:

>I am a newbie in need of a similar solution. How do you send a message using
>winpopup? I'm using VB6 for the application, does any one have some code
>samples? Is it possible to use a simple command-line like WINPOPUP username
>"Hello!" or ??

Claus,

you may want to check the NET SEND command.

Hans-Georg

[No mail please]

Fri, 25 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Popup Notification
Hans is right..  Ive used the net send in a VB app by shelling the command.
It seems better to me than other API approaches since if you shell the
command, it will run asynchronous to your application.

Good luck!

Quote:

> >I am a newbie in need of a similar solution. How do you send a message
using
> >winpopup? I'm using VB6 for the application, does any one have some code
> >samples? Is it possible to use a simple command-line like WINPOPUP
username
> >"Hello!" or ??

> Claus,

> you may want to check the NET SEND command.

> Hans-Georg

> [No mail please]

Tue, 29 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Popup Notification

2. Popup Notification

3. Email notification popup window from task bar like MSN hotmail or IM

4. How MSN Messenger-like notification popup window in VB6

5. Popup menu for icon in notification area

6. MSN Alerts and notification popup control

7. MSN Alerts and notification popup control

8. HELP : Popup menu doesn't popup ??

9. Residente programme / Resident Programs /// Yellow PopUp-Help-Windows / gelbes Hilfe-PopUp-Fenster

10. Popup menus on form called from a popup menu

11. Print Notification in Access 3K

12. How to receive file change notification in VB6?