Why to use COM+ transaction and not just SQL Server transaction
Author Message
 Why to use COM+ transaction and not just SQL Server transaction

Boaz,

If all you're interested in is Database transactions, well, you don't need
COM+ transactions as such. COM+ transactions is not only database
transactions but everything your transaction enlisted objects do, i.e.
moving a file from one location to another, or writing to the registry can
be rolled back in case something goes wrong.

--
Regards

Carsten Thomsen
MVP VB
MCSE/VB Programmer & Analyst

PLEASE post ALL replies to the newsgroup(s) so we can all benefit from the
discussion!

Quote:
> Hi,
> I am developing a large ecommerece web site using Business logic in
activeX
> dll and SQL Server 7 database. I read all this articles about the
> transaction support in COM+ however it seems to me like a huge overhead.
> Since I am using sp like everyone. why would I benefit from using
compoenets
> transactions and not just use transation support is my sp.

> I understand the components transaction make the code more modular nad
> scalable but does it worth the overhead in performance?
> I'll be happy if you could give me more reference about this subject

> Thanks,
> Boaz

> --
> =====================
> Talia Interactive
> Mobile: 058-580028
> Tel: 03-5222524
> Fax: 03-5222453

Fri, 08 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Why to use COM+ transaction and not just SQL Server transaction

Quote:

>If all you're interested in is Database transactions, well, you don't need
>COM+ transactions as such. COM+ transactions is not only database
>transactions but everything your transaction enlisted objects do, i.e.
>moving a file from one location to another, or writing to the registry can
>be rolled back in case something goes wrong.

Which is -really- useful when you need to coordinate
database transactions with non-db operations that
are part of the same logical transaction.

Like coordinating file updates or ftp transfers with
DB updates in a fully transaction-based manner.

I can think of several projects I worked on some
years back where this could have saved a ton of
coding.

Fri, 08 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Why to use COM+ transaction and not just SQL Server transaction

Quote:
> Hi,
> I am developing a large ecommerece web site using Business logic in
activeX
> dll and SQL Server 7 database. I read all this articles about the
> transaction support in COM+ however it seems to me like a huge overhead.
> Since I am using sp like everyone. why would I benefit from using
compoenets
> transactions and not just use transation support is my sp.

> I understand the components transaction make the code more modular nad
> scalable but does it worth the overhead in performance?
> I'll be happy if you could give me more reference about this subject

In addition to what others mentioned, COM+/MTS transactions are extremely
useful if you want to have one component make calls to other components and
have it all within a single transaction. Doing this yourself with SQL
transactions would mean passing around a Connection object and keeping track
of everything yourself. Why not let the COM+ runtime do this for you.

If you have simple components where each transaction is fully contained in a
single object method,  you can probably get by with just SQL Server
transactions. Once things get more complex it just makes sense to take
advantage of the COM+ services.

Jeff

Sat, 09 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Why to use COM+ transaction and not just SQL Server transaction

2. Transaction Server or Com+ ?

3. HELP: Problem using transactions and SQL Server

4. Using Transactions with SQL-Server 7.0 ?

5. Transaction scope using ADO with SQL Server 7 and MTS

6. To Transaction or Not to Transaction that is the question

7. using com+ with adabas transactions.

8. ADO and Transaction in SQL Server 7.0: The COMMIT TRANSACTION request has no corresponding BEGIN TRANSACTION.

9. VB, COM & Transaction Server

10. return com-objects from Component Serivces (transaction server)

11. VB6/COM+ multiple database transaction errors not trapped soon enough

12. COM+ question: SetAbort not rolling back transaction?