Newbie to Classes and stuff
Author Message
 Newbie to Classes and stuff

It's that Clancey bloke again!

I've been doing VB for years but I'm not quite up to speed with this Class
stuff.  I believe Classes may be able to help me with the following....

I Have a huge database of companies and contacts, firstly I want a Customer
object, then a customer object, ie....

Customer.Name="ACME Builders"
Customer.Address1="Address1"
Customer.Address2="Address2"
Customer.Address3="Address3"

Contact.Contact="John Smith"
Contact.Tel="000000 111111"

etc, etc,

As an added complication, I could have many Customers/Contacts being
addressed at the same time?

How do I do this?

Cheers,
Tull.

Tue, 21 Oct 2003 03:54:34 GMT
 Newbie to Classes and stuff

Tull,

You need Collection Classes.

In VB use the Class Wizard to create a collection class for each of your
base classes so you end up with
Class    Customer
Class    Customers        (collection class for Customer)
Class    Contact
Class    Contacts           (collection class for Contact)

Have a read up on Collections and you should be well on your way ...

Cheers,
Neil

Quote:
> It's that Clancey bloke again!

> I've been doing VB for years but I'm not quite up to speed with this Class
> stuff.  I believe Classes may be able to help me with the following....

> I Have a huge database of companies and contacts, firstly I want a
Customer
> object, then a customer object, ie....

> Customer.Name="ACME Builders"
> Customer.Address1="Address1"
> Customer.Address2="Address2"
> Customer.Address3="Address3"

> Contact.Contact="John Smith"
> Contact.Tel="000000 111111"

> etc, etc,

> As an added complication, I could have many Customers/Contacts being
> addressed at the same time?

> How do I do this?

> Cheers,
> Tull.

Tue, 21 Oct 2003 05:36:25 GMT
 Newbie to Classes and stuff
Thanks Neil.

Cheers,
Tull.

Quote:

> Tull,

> You need Collection Classes.

> In VB use the Class Wizard to create a collection class for each of your
> base classes so you end up with
> Class    Customer
> Class    Customers        (collection class for Customer)
> Class    Contact
> Class    Contacts           (collection class for Contact)

> Have a read up on Collections and you should be well on your way ...

> Cheers,
> Neil

> > It's that Clancey bloke again!

> > I've been doing VB for years but I'm not quite up to speed with this
Class
> > stuff.  I believe Classes may be able to help me with the following....

> > I Have a huge database of companies and contacts, firstly I want a
> Customer
> > object, then a customer object, ie....

> > Customer.Name="ACME Builders"
> > Customer.Address1="Address1"
> > Customer.Address2="Address2"
> > Customer.Address3="Address3"

> > Contact.Contact="John Smith"
> > Contact.Tel="000000 111111"

> > etc, etc,

> > As an added complication, I could have many Customers/Contacts being
> > addressed at the same time?

> > How do I do this?

> > Cheers,
> > Tull.

Wed, 22 Oct 2003 02:11:20 GMT
 Newbie to Classes and stuff

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Newbie to Classes and stuff

Plese explain how to use the additional "query"words" listed at the end of the
support sheet dealing with "Filename must be text" error fix.  They are:

R Hoffmann

Sat, 25 Oct 2003 03:46:00 GMT
 Newbie to Classes and stuff

I refuse to even attempt to read that tiny text.

  Plese explain how to use the additional "query"words" listed at the end of the support sheet dealing with "Filename must be text" error fix.  They are:

  R Hoffmann

Sat, 25 Oct 2003 06:46:20 GMT

1. newbie: private class variables are visible in class instances

2. VB 4, Classes and OO stuff (LONG)

3. 3 expert questions about newbie stuff

4. Help a newbie: All this stuff is overwhelming

5. Basic Newbie Stuff - sorry

6. Newbie binary file stuff

7. Newbie string stuff

8. Newbie Help: Sorting stuff

9. String comparision ... newbie stuff

10. Some newbie stuff!

11. Newbie stuff

12. Newbie: How do I have this class module appear on my report