Callstack info on runtime error (running EXE)
Author Message
 Callstack info on runtime error (running EXE)

Is there _any_ chance to get callstack information when a runtime error
(eg #6, overflow, called from function xy line number yz, called from
...) occurs when a compiled VB6 app is running?

I understand that there _is_ a way in design mode but this does not help
me any further as I cannot ship apps in design mode.
I understand that erl() will help to get a manually added line number of
the function on top of the stack but this seems terrible brute force a
as non-generic as can be.

I'd be glad for any hacks, pointers, tricks, comments, etc.
If not, I'd be glad if anybody could confirm that there is simply _no_
way.

Thanks in advance,
Martin Koeck
---
please reply to forum.

Wed, 20 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Callstack info on runtime error (running EXE)

|Is there _any_ chance to get callstack information when a runtime
error
|(eg #6, overflow, called from function xy line number yz, called from
|...) occurs when a compiled VB6 app is running?
|
|I understand that there _is_ a way in design mode but this does not
help
|me any further as I cannot ship apps in design mode.
|I understand that erl() will help to get a manually added line number
of
|the function on top of the stack but this seems terrible brute force
|as non-generic as can be.
|
|I'd be glad for any hacks, pointers, tricks, comments, etc.
|If not, I'd be glad if anybody could confirm that there is simply
_no_
|way.

There is really just no way to get to the call stack programmatically
using VB.  I would suggest
NuMega.  Function/Module names are 'nicities' for the developer at
design-time(and AFAIK, the only way to know what function you're in at
design time is the call stack command in the VB IDE) .  Once it gets
compiled into an Exe the function names all
get resolved to symbolic code... sorry.

Just as a side note....

In my travels high and low in probing the VB CallStack I came
across an artice in a Microsoft System Journal of Aug 98. The article
was BugSlayer by John Robbins.  There he plays around with a C++ Dll
that he wrote to trace the call stack.  In the download he also has a
VB example of how to use it....

;-) Cool
Hasta Luego
Adrian Maull [MCSD]

Fri, 22 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Callstack info on runtime error (running EXE)

Adrian,

thanks a lot for your comprehensive answer. Hunting runtime errors w/o
callstack info is a nightmare for me so I will check out NuMega.

Microsoft System Journal of Aug 98. The article
was BugSlayer by John Robbins.  There he plays around with a C++ Dll
that he wrote to trace the call stack.  In the download he also has a
VB example of how to use it....
<<
could you give any online pointer to the download

cu
Martin Koeck

Sat, 23 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Callstack info on runtime error (running EXE)

|could you give any online pointer to the download

http://www.microsoft.com/msj/  Once you get there there is a BackIssue
section.

;-) Cool
Hasta Luego
Adrian Maull [MCSD]

Sat, 23 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Trying to run mdb using A2K Runtime generates runtime error

2. how to tell at runtime if ran application from exe or from development environment

3. call stack info on runtime error

4. EXE gives runtime automation error - help please

5. A very strange runtime error - only happens inside VB4 debugger , not with .exe

6. RUNTIME ERROR! Visual C++ \ Explorer.exe

7. Visual C++ - Runtime Error! \ Explorer.exe

8. Runtime Error 462 Active-X-Exe

9. VB5.EXE Runtime Error

10. vb5.exe runtime errors after hitting end when debugging a program

11. runtime error in exe

12. Runtime Error with EXE but not in IDE