DCOM - Internet
Author Message
 DCOM - Internet

I want to use a server dll form a client on the Interent.  I can create the
compnont OK across the net but I am having several security problems.   Is
it possible to have a DCOM work without any security - that is any client
that brings up the WEB page that requires this component that use it.

Unfortunately I have no choice in the short term but to use DCOM.

Please reply to email as well

Sun, 07 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DCOM - Internet
Speaking from experience (I regret), the 5-10% of your install base that
can't get DCOM to work will drive your support & development team nuts --
and it's always the important clients that will have a problem with it.

My last and final DCOM attempt with the MS support team, I was told that
they only support applications that we're distributed with the VB Setup Kit
(like anyone uses it). This is probably a bad example, however, I have been
struggling with it since day one. When it works, it works great. But there's
always that 5% that will make your life hell. There are too many variables
involved to make it work (notwithstanding firewalls).

I'm sorry I am not much help.

--
Monte Hansen
VB Yuk Yuk

No Spam Please - Replies Welcome

Quote:
> I want to use a server dll form a client on the Interent.  I can create
the
> compnont OK across the net but I am having several security problems.   Is
> it possible to have a DCOM work without any security - that is any client
> that brings up the WEB page that requires this component that use it.

> Unfortunately I have no choice in the short term but to use DCOM.

> Please reply to email as well

Mon, 08 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. DCOM, Internet and Threads - hundreds of them - Help!

2. DCOM - Internet

3. DCOM, DCOM , DCOM!!!

4. DCOM and the Internet

5. DCOM with Internet Explorer 3.02

6. DCOM problem connecting to server through ICS (internet connection sharing)

7. DCOM & INTERNET

8. DCOM Through the Internet

9. Internet Access to a DCOM component

10. Hlp: DCOM and the Internet

11. Is DCOM good enough for the Internet?

12. Internet Access to a DCOM component