looking for direction
Author Message
 looking for direction

how would i go about storing a large amount of text. for example i need to
design an interface that will allow for data entery on customers. the
problem i am having is that there needs to be a comments section. this
section can get quite lengthy. i only have ms access 2000 databases at my
disposel. the amount that needs to be entered exceeds the 255 character
limit for one field. i will need to retreive this information on a regualar
basis
any ideas would be greatly appreciated

tony

Mon, 29 Dec 2003 02:01:52 GMT
 looking for direction
Hi Tony,

You can use a memo field in Access for longer text fields. From the docs:

    In general, text fields can be up to 255 characters, while memo fields
    can be up to 65,535 characters, but if the memo field does not contain
    any binary data, then its only limit is the maximum size of the database
    (approximately 2.14GB or 1,070,000,000 Unicode characters). In addition,
    unused portions of text fields are not reserved in memory.

Regards,

Ade.

Quote:
> how would i go about storing a large amount of text. for example i need to
> design an interface that will allow for data entery on customers. the
> problem i am having is that there needs to be a comments section. this
> section can get quite lengthy. i only have ms access 2000 databases at my
> disposel. the amount that needs to be entered exceeds the 255 character
> limit for one field. i will need to retreive this information on a
regualar
> basis
> any ideas would be greatly appreciated

> tony

Mon, 29 Dec 2003 02:16:51 GMT
 looking for direction
You can store large text data in field with Memo data type, I think it has
64k limit.
Then use rs!YourField.GetChunk() and rs!YourField.AppendChunk() to retrieve
and store data.

- Sergey

Quote:
> how would i go about storing a large amount of text. for example i need to
> design an interface that will allow for data entery on customers. the
> problem i am having is that there needs to be a comments section. this
> section can get quite lengthy. i only have ms access 2000 databases at my
> disposel. the amount that needs to be entered exceeds the 255 character
> limit for one field. i will need to retreive this information on a
regualar
> basis
> any ideas would be greatly appreciated

> tony

Mon, 29 Dec 2003 02:23:35 GMT
 looking for direction
thanks a lot to both of you. that is exactly what im looking for.

Quote:
> how would i go about storing a large amount of text. for example i need to
> design an interface that will allow for data entery on customers. the
> problem i am having is that there needs to be a comments section. this
> section can get quite lengthy. i only have ms access 2000 databases at my
> disposel. the amount that needs to be entered exceeds the 255 character
> limit for one field. i will need to retreive this information on a
regualar
> basis
> any ideas would be greatly appreciated

> tony

Mon, 29 Dec 2003 03:25:17 GMT

1. Looking for direction on game design.

2. Looking for direction on game design.

3. looking for direction to auto update

4. looking for direction

5. Need help on direction to start looking

6. Looking for Documentation/Direction on File Attributes

7. Help! Directions to the super highway

8. Please point me in the right direction!

9. Pointer in the right Direction.

10. Sample code or good directions handling Outlook forms

11. direction of a arrow

12. Please point me in the right direction...