Desktop & Web clients.....
Author Message
 Desktop & Web clients.....

Hello,

       I need to develop an application that will run on a desktop
(desktop client) and also in the browser (Web Client).  How can I
achieve this ?  I would appreciate, if any of you can suggest any
documentation that specifically addresses the design and implementation
issues of such an application.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sincerely,
Prasad.

Fri, 07 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Desktop & Web clients.....
Hi Prasad

You can program an app with HTML an Active X components.---> this runs on
the web.
To make the proggie running on desktop use the Internet Controls
(shdocvw.dll) to make your own little browser which runs the above
generated HTML code.

Any questions? e-mail me!

Cheers
Thomas

Prasad Rudraraju schrieb:

Quote:
> Hello,

>        I need to develop an application that will run on a desktop
> (desktop client) and also in the browser (Web Client).  How can I
> achieve this ?  I would appreciate, if any of you can suggest any
> documentation that specifically addresses the design and implementation
> issues of such an application.

> Thanks in advance for your help.

> Sincerely,
> Prasad.

Sat, 08 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Desktop & Web clients.....
I would suggest using an ActiveX Document EXE project in VB.  Build it with
forms first, and then use the ActiveX Document Migration Wizard to create
the document files.  In the Sub Main check for the start mode and decide
whether to show a form or a document.  Remember that a document needs as
container, while a forms doesn't.
Quote:

>Hello,

>       I need to develop an application that will run on a desktop
>(desktop client) and also in the browser (Web Client).  How can I
>achieve this ?  I would appreciate, if any of you can suggest any
>documentation that specifically addresses the design and implementation
>issues of such an application.

>Thanks in advance for your help.

>Sincerely,
>Prasad.

Sun, 09 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Desktop & Web clients.....
The best solution to this problem is to draw a line between your interface
and database code and then hack off the interface stuff to make an ActiveX
DLL to run on IIS.  Now write your forms in DHTML (or plain old HTML) with
ASP code to instantiate your DLL on the server and you have a real Web
application, not one of these things that requires IE3/4 or later.
Quote:

>Hello,

>       I need to develop an application that will run on a desktop
>(desktop client) and also in the browser (Web Client).  How can I
>achieve this ?  I would appreciate, if any of you can suggest any
>documentation that specifically addresses the design and implementation
>issues of such an application.

>Thanks in advance for your help.

>Sincerely,
>Prasad.

Sun, 09 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Desktop & Web clients.....
Why write two apps?  Two lots of maintainance, two lots of development and
worst of all two lots of testing :-)
Seriously though, a well written ASP/Webclass app will provide adequate
functionality for both sets of users.  No more setup applications to be
written.  Your boss will love you :-)
If they need more client / interactive functionality then use XML data
islands and XML bound fields or if you can guarantee IE5 use XSL - look on
the MS Sitebuilder site for info on theses.
Read the Wrox press book on ASP MTS and MSMQ or their Business Objects books
http://www.wrox.co.uk for ideas on architecting 3 tier web apps.  BTW Good
luck

Regards
    Ben

--

DNA Solutions

Quote:

>Hello,

>       I need to develop an application that will run on a desktop
>(desktop client) and also in the browser (Web Client).  How can I
>achieve this ?  I would appreciate, if any of you can suggest any
>documentation that specifically addresses the design and implementation
>issues of such an application.

>Thanks in advance for your help.

>Sincerely,
>Prasad.

Sun, 09 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Desktop & Web clients.....
Deploy the ActiveX Document via the internet is the nightmare. The client
always has problem to run it.
Quote:

>I would suggest using an ActiveX Document EXE project in VB.  Build it with
>forms first, and then use the ActiveX Document Migration Wizard to create
>the document files.  In the Sub Main check for the start mode and decide
>whether to show a form or a document.  Remember that a document needs as
>container, while a forms doesn't.

>>Hello,

>>       I need to develop an application that will run on a desktop
>>(desktop client) and also in the browser (Web Client).  How can I
>>achieve this ?  I would appreciate, if any of you can suggest any
>>documentation that specifically addresses the design and implementation
>>issues of such an application.

>>Thanks in advance for your help.

>>Sincerely,
>>Prasad.

Tue, 25 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Desktop & Web clients.....

2. access web db, upload data from desktop client

3. fat client (MSMQ, VB Program) or thin client (ASP page then have Web server use MSMQ)

4. Client connecting to web server via web

5. Client connecting to web server via web

6. Help - How to Change the client area of the Desktop Window

7. Installing a shortcut on Client Desktop

8. Remote-Desktop "client/ server"

9. Capture the Clients Desktop

10. web programing plus using the web &Crystal

11. Code for both desktop app, and web

12. Stream Video: Web to Desktop App?