looking for direction to auto update
Author Message
 looking for direction to auto update

does anyone know of a book, or can lead me in the right direction to give a
program the abilitiy to auto update? i really dont want to go to everyone's
desk to update my program every time i make changes. i have been unable to
find anything on this topic. thanks in advance.

tony perkins

Tue, 14 Oct 2003 00:14:06 GMT
 looking for direction to auto update
There was an article in VBPJ (Visual Basic Programmers Journal) a while
back. Basically you need to write a launcher program that launches your
application. Before your app is launched the launcher prog should check the
version number on your clients machine against the version number of your
update on the lan, if the version on the lan is newer, then your launcher
app copies your main app onto the client machine before it launches it.

I am using this method and I only need to do a complete install if I add any
controls to my app that needs me to add and register a new ocx. I have a
solution for this also, I never go to each desk to perform an update, only
to install for the first time.

If you want more info I willl see if I can direct you to the right page on
VBPJ

HTH

Chris :)

Quote:
> does anyone know of a book, or can lead me in the right direction to give
> program the abilitiy to auto update? i really dont want to go to
everyone's
> desk to update my program every time i make changes. i have been unable to
> find anything on this topic. thanks in advance.

> tony perkins

Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:47:32 GMT

1. Auto Update a Look-up Table?

2. Need help on direction to start looking

3. Looking for direction on game design.

4. Looking for direction on game design.

5. looking for direction

6. looking for direction

7. Looking for Documentation/Direction on File Attributes

8. Looking for information on extending TextBox control with Auto Complete features

9. Looking for an auto-logoff procedure

10. Help! Problems with Auto Look-up in Access

11. Looking for an auto-logoff procedure

12. Auto formatting chart labels to look stacked- Microsoft 2000