VB native control quality...
Author Message
 VB native control quality...

Sorry I just had to vent for a second.

I can't understand why VB's controls (i.e. Combo box, text, Grid,  etc.) are
so darn primitive compared to even MS Access.  For ~$1,300 list and at
version 6.0; I would think the VB team could do better.  If any MSers are
out there; you have at least one customer that would like Access' controls
ported over to VB ASAP.   Now that team knows how to design controls...

BTW. Nice job on the DE and shape abilities

wjs

Wed, 09 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB native control quality...

Quote:
>I can't understand why VB's controls (i.e. Combo box, text, Grid,  etc.)
are
>so darn primitive compared to even MS Access.

There are two main reasons I can think of...

(1) Many of the controls are based directly on the underlying windows GUI
class. This allows a programmer to have a lot of low level flexibility with
the control.

(2) Part of VB's success is linked to the success of the 3rd party tool
market. If this market was, to coin a phrase, "assimilated" into VB it could
cause Microsoft problems on a number of fronts.

And, if you think programming controls in VB is "primitive", try VC++
sometime....

It's really a matter of how much you want done for you. VB offers a wide
range of choices from the low level to high level (when you add appropriate
3rd party products).

Frank Carr

Wed, 09 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB native control quality...
I was mainly frustered for a second.  I did not mean the controls where
primative from a low level perspective.  I meant they are not "rich".  For
example, I have come to enjoy Access' combo box and how you can display
multiple columns and how the search feature works as a user types to
drill-down in the list.  And the Grid control is much better than VB's, etc.
I have programmed Winsock in VC++ so I am not a stranger to the low level -
but the native controls are so basic.  I understand that MS needs to grow
the 3rd party control market, but I expect a base level of richness for this
kind of money.

There, it is out of my system now; sorry for complaining, but thanks for
listening.  :-)

wjs

Wed, 09 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB native control quality...
Well, I think you're overlooking the basic fact that VB is a general
programming language, while Access is a database environment.
Since the native VB controls are inside MSVBVM##.DLL, the size
increase would be unacceptable to those developers who don't
need that specialized functionality. If you were following the VB
newsgroups when VB 5 came out, you'd have seen at least 3 to 5
hysterical pleas a week for help on reducing the size of MSVBVM50.DLL.
That's what the third-party controls are for.
FWIW, MS buys new custom controls from third-party vendors for
inclusion in new versions of VB, so the out-of-the-box tools are
improving fairly consistently.

Ron Ruble
Raffles Software Development, Inc.

Quote:

>I was mainly frustered for a second.  I did not mean the controls where
>primative from a low level perspective.  I meant they are not "rich".  For
>example, I have come to enjoy Access' combo box and how you can display
>multiple columns and how the search feature works as a user types to
>drill-down in the list.  And the Grid control is much better than VB's,
etc.
>I have programmed Winsock in VC++ so I am not a stranger to the low level -
>but the native controls are so basic.  I understand that MS needs to grow
>the 3rd party control market, but I expect a base level of richness for
this
>kind of money.

>There, it is out of my system now; sorry for complaining, but thanks for
>listening.  :-)

>wjs

Thu, 10 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB native control quality...

Quote:

> I was mainly frustered for a second.  I did not mean the controls where
> primative from a low level perspective.  I meant they are not "rich".  For
> example, I have come to enjoy Access' combo box and how you can display
> multiple columns and how the search feature works as a user types to
> drill-down in the list.  And the Grid control is much better than VB's, etc.
> I have programmed Winsock in VC++ so I am not a stranger to the low level -
> but the native controls are so basic.  I understand that MS needs to grow
> the 3rd party control market, but I expect a base level of richness for this
> kind of money.

> There, it is out of my system now; sorry for complaining, but thanks for
> listening.  :-)

After just having 'battled' with the ListView control (which looks almost like
it's a 're-written' ListView rather than a wrapper to the native windows one -
just you try and drag/drop things out of it in the 'same style' as the Windows
native controls!) I can more than sympathize...

I've often been tempted by Access's controls (especially the dropdown
dual-column combo box ;-)

I always hate it when MS do this kind of stuff - another example is them
preaching common controls on everyone... Then look at the amount of times they
actually use them in their products... Maybe that helps explain the size of
VB, Word etc. - Maybe we'll end up with a 'free' operating system with our
copy of Word / VB etc. in the end? <G>

;-) (Well that's another VB programmer who feels slightly better now ;-) maybe
we need microsoft.vb.steam ? ;-0

Kp

Sat, 12 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Poor quality Grid Controls in VB 6.0 ?

2. Quality Product - Quality Support

3. Control Bar native to Embedded Vb

4. ActiveX Control for Quality Control Charting

5. ActiveX Control for Quality Control Charting

6. ActiveX Control - Quality Control Charts

7. Quality Control Charting OCX

8. Quality Control Charting OCX

9. Quality Control and Analysis Tools

10. jpg image quality in vb5 picture control

11. Multimedia Control Quality of Recorded Sound

12. Any Good Quality VB Book