MTS question ?
Author Message
 MTS question ?

Is there anybody can explain how MTS 3-tier architecture works ?

For instance, VB frontend client, MTS middle tier, MS SQL7.0 backend.

Two questions here ...

1.Do all the frontend clients need to have NT authentication
  on the backend Database NT Server? I am taling about NT
  authentication, not MSSQL authentication.

My idea is all the frontend clients only needs authentication
on middle tier so that I can control the access rights to
each object interface for each different user groups (roles).
and when data is needed, MTS is really using just one
connection to get data for every request so that the connections
will get pooled..... Therefore, MSSQL7.0 only need one user in this
case.

2. But how does MSSQL knows which users is using the session since
   all connections established by MTS are coming from same connection ?
   Once dead lock occurs, how does MS SQL DBA knows who's locking the
   table ?

Sun, 13 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 MTS question ?
brief responses in-lineThanks,

Quote:
> Is there anybody can explain how MTS 3-tier architecture works ?

> For instance, VB frontend client, MTS middle tier, MS SQL7.0 backend.

> Two questions here ...

> 1.Do all the frontend clients need to have NT authentication
>   on the backend Database NT Server? I am taling about NT
>   authentication, not MSSQL authentication.

> My idea is all the frontend clients only needs authentication
> on middle tier so that I can control the access rights to
> each object interface for each different user groups (roles).
> and when data is needed, MTS is really using just one
> connection to get data for every request so that the connections
> will get pooled..... Therefore, MSSQL7.0 only need one user in this
> case.

You are correct: NT security would be applicable to client logged in access
you're MTS components.  You may / should be able to use one SQL login.  MTS
pools connections so it might actually create more than one connection to
manage.

Quote:

> 2. But how does MSSQL knows which users is using the session since
>    all connections established by MTS are coming from same connection ?
>    Once dead lock occurs, how does MS SQL DBA knows who's locking the
>    table ?

Forget about using sp_who or anything like than to determine the client.
MTS provides a means to determine who the client is and you can use this in
your SQL (for audit purposes for example), but SQL Serve will only know
about the connection information used by your MTS objects.  That is the
trade-off when getting connection pooling.

Sun, 13 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. MTS;questions concerning

2. MTS Question

3. Basic MTS Question

4. COM+/MTS Question

5. Beginner MTS Question: Slow Init Time

6. VB5 - MTS Question

7. Looking for MTS SDK and MTS Spy

8. newbie - COM with MTS Vs COM without MTS

9. MTS and Non MTS objects from same code

10. Design Question: Call .dll from SQL Server VS MTS

11. MTS; question concerning

12. RDO/MTS/Oracle question