Parrallel Port in VB
Author Message
 Parrallel Port in VB

How can I access the parallel port directly in Visual Basic ?

I want to send data in and out to a logic device (not the printer)

Is there some control or API ?

thanks in advance

Fri, 07 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Parrallel Port in VB

Depending on what OS and version of VB you are using...

You can download VBASM.ZIP (VB/16, Windows 3.1 or Windows 95/98), or
WIN95IO.ZIP (VB/32, Windows 95) from

Then, use the vbOut routine.  For example,

  vbOut &H378, MyData%

The complementary function is vbInp, to read I/O.

Similar functions are included in Stamina from MicroDexterity; again,
suitable for Windows 95, only.

I have an ActiveX OCX (look for IOOCX.OCX) on my homepage that you can
download that has some extra features that may be of interest.

If you need to do this under Windows NT, you can use a kernel-mode driver,
such as TINYPORT (go to to download this shareware
driver).  Also, there are two commercial add-ons that provide I/O under both
Windows 95 and Windows NT.  You can get information (and order these at a
discount) from my homepage.  Just click on the VBxpert button and look at
DriverX OCX from Tetradyne or WinRT OCX from Blue Water Systems.  These
commercial products also allow read/write access to RAM, and support
hardware interrupts.

You can get detailed information on these things from the book, Parallel
Port Complete, by Jan Axelson.  Check this out on my homepage.  Just click
on the Books link.

Richard Grier
Hard & Software
12962 West Louisiana Avenue
Lakewood, CO  80228
303-986-2179 (voice)
303-986-3143 (fax)
Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 2nd
Edition (355 pages).
For information look on my homepage at
Use the Books link to order.  For faster service contact the publisher at

Fri, 07 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Help! qB4.5 I/O to parrallel port

2. Help receiving data through parrallel port

3. Communication with a Parrallel Port

4. Output to Serial or parrallel port HOW?

5. Output to Serial or parrallel port

6. Help needed talking to parrallel port

7. VBX or OCX for I/O Parrallel port required

8. Parrallel Port OCX

9. Capturing Output to Parrallel Port

10. VB Port Listening ** Only listening not bound to a port

11. Finding COM Ports - Mouse dies when VB talks to its COM Port

12. I/O port, Parallel port, Serial port