VB/Access - MSDE v Jet Performance
Author Message
 VB/Access - MSDE v Jet Performance

I am developing an application with a VB front end, Access backend which has
to link into a third party database. For various reasons, I don't want to
store my tables and procedures in this third party database, only read
existing data from it, this is why I am using Access as my backend.

The main concern is performance - there will be up to 50 users for my
application.

The ideal solution, IMO, would be to upgrade my backend to SQL Server but
the client doesn't want to take on the overhead of maintaining this just for
this application.

As an "in-between" solution, I wonder would changing my Access database to
MSDE rather than Jet give a reasonable performance with 50 users?

Does anyone have any experience of this?

TIA

Martin Harran
Donegal
Ireland

Wed, 13 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 VB/Access - MSDE v Jet Performance
It might not cope with 50 users, however it has a better chance than
Access does :-)

Also if you code it against MDSE, if they do need to go to SQL Server
later on, you have no code changes whereas if it Access won't handle
it you might have significant re-coding effort to do.

Regards

Paul Hatcher, MCSD
Principal Consultant
Graduate Associates Ltd

Thu, 14 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 VB/Access - MSDE v Jet Performance
Thanks Paul

Quote:
> It might not cope with 50 users, however it has a better chance than
> Access does :-)

> Also if you code it against MDSE, if they do need to go to SQL Server
> later on, you have no code changes whereas if it Access won't handle
> it you might have significant re-coding effort to do.

> Regards

> Paul Hatcher, MCSD
> Principal Consultant
> Graduate Associates Ltd

Thu, 14 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 VB/Access - MSDE v Jet Performance

Be aware that MSDE is *intentionally* performance throttled
beyond 5 concurrent users. This is to help you in your decision
to migrate to SQL Server ASAP. You should not consider using
the MSDE based on the clients stated needs and restrictions.

--
Michael D. Long
http://extremedna.homestead.com

Quote:
> I am developing an application with a VB front end, Access backend which
has
> to link into a third party database. For various reasons, I don't want to
> store my tables and procedures in this third party database, only read
> existing data from it, this is why I am using Access as my backend.

> The main concern is performance - there will be up to 50 users for my
> application.

> The ideal solution, IMO, would be to upgrade my backend to SQL Server but
> the client doesn't want to take on the overhead of maintaining this just
for
> this application.

> As an "in-between" solution, I wonder would changing my Access database to
> MSDE rather than Jet give a reasonable performance with 50 users?

> Does anyone have any experience of this?

> TIA

> Martin Harran
> Donegal
> Ireland

Thu, 14 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 VB/Access - MSDE v Jet Performance
If the client will not consider using SQL Server, then the choice between Jet
and MSDE is tough.

Jet can have trouble (a lot of trouble) with that many users, but as the post
said, MSDE is intentionally throttled to work with 5 or less users. You might
try doing some performance tests with MSDE and 50 simulated users and see what
happens.

The problems you will have with Jet will not only be performance based, but
there can be concurrency and reliability issues as well (ie: you have to do a
database repair often, during which time no one will be able to use the
system). MSDE will be more reliable, but perhaps slower. As the other poster
said though, if MSDE ends up being too slow, it will be easy to upgrade
directly to SQL server.

btw: Maintaining SQL server 7 for a small application like this is not hard and
can be automated for the most part. If you do not know how to do it, find
someone who can, it will be worth the effort.

Bill Davis, MCSD, Sun Certified Programmer

Quote:

>Be aware that MSDE is *intentionally* performance throttled
>beyond 5 concurrent users. This is to help you in your decision
>to migrate to SQL Server ASAP. You should not consider using
>the MSDE based on the clients stated needs and restrictions.

>--
>Michael D. Long
>http://extremedna.homestead.com

>> I am developing an application with a VB front end, Access backend
>> which
>has
>> to link into a third party database. For various reasons, I don't want
>> to store my tables and procedures in this third party database, only
>> read existing data from it, this is why I am using Access as my
>> backend.

>> The main concern is performance - there will be up to 50 users for my
>> application.

>> The ideal solution, IMO, would be to upgrade my backend to SQL Server
>> but the client doesn't want to take on the overhead of maintaining
>> this just
>for
>> this application.

>> As an "in-between" solution, I wonder would changing my Access
>> database to MSDE rather than Jet give a reasonable performance with 50
>> users?

Sat, 16 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 VB/Access - MSDE v Jet Performance
Thanks Bill

Quote:
> If the client will not consider using SQL Server, then the choice between

Jet

Sat, 16 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 VB/Access - MSDE v Jet Performance
I know that it's been performance throttled but I have client sites
that are running >30 users much better that they were under Access.

Partially it depends on how you code the data access, but also you do
get a performance boost from the fact that it's a real database server
with a cache etc.

Regards

Paul Hatcher, MCSD
Principal Consultant
Graduate Associates Ltd

Mon, 18 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Jet DB Performance (Jet 3.51 vs. Jet 4.0)

2. Jet 3.51 vs Jet 4.0 vs MSDE

3. MSDE/VB Performance

4. MSDE/VB Performance

5. MSDE/VB Performance

6. ADO Jet 4.0 performance problem vs Jet 3.51

7. Performance ADO with Jet 4.0 (Access 2000)

8. MSDE V7 Performance

9. MSDE and VB6-CLient - Performance

10. MSDE V7 Performance

11. MSDE and VB6-CLient - Performance

12. MSDE - Performance of ADO Update method