IE(ActiveX)->IIS->MTS-SQLServer structure
Author Message
 IE(ActiveX)->IIS->MTS-SQLServer structure

hi, I have a question regarding the structure thing in 4-tier structure over
internet.

Frontend - ActiveX with RDS
IIS
MTS
SQLServer

I can work with 3 computers in this structure

Frontend PC-Window 9X with IE and ActiveX create with VB5 and RDS.
Secondtier IIS Server + MTS (1 machine)
SQL Server (1 machine)

My question is can I seprate this physical structure into 4 tier:
Frontend PC-Window 9X with IE and ActiveX create with VB5 and RDS.
Secondtier IIS Server (1 machine)
MTS (1 machine)
SQL Server (1 machine)

how can I call dll component running on MTS machine through IIS machine?

Thanks

Fri, 09 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 IE(ActiveX)->IIS->MTS-SQLServer structure
Robert,

Splitting IIS and MTS is theoretically possible.  To do it, you would setup
your classes on the remote MTS machine.  You would then configure MTS on the
IIS machine to use those classes remotely, making it transparent to any ASP
code.  There are a couple of articles about setting MTS up to do this.  You
need to add a file share, if I remember correctly.

The real question, however, is why would you do this?  IIS4 and MTS are very
tightly optimized.  Putting your components on another machine would
significantly slow you're application down.  If you think cross-process COM
is slow, try cross-machine!

If you want to scale your application to more users, make sure your
application is sessionless, and  then simply add IIS servers.

Jeff Dunmall

Quote:

>hi, I have a question regarding the structure thing in 4-tier structure
over
>internet.

>Frontend - ActiveX with RDS
>IIS
>MTS
>SQLServer

>I can work with 3 computers in this structure

>Frontend PC-Window 9X with IE and ActiveX create with VB5 and RDS.
>Secondtier IIS Server + MTS (1 machine)
>SQL Server (1 machine)

>My question is can I seprate this physical structure into 4 tier:
>Frontend PC-Window 9X with IE and ActiveX create with VB5 and RDS.
>Secondtier IIS Server (1 machine)
>MTS (1 machine)
>SQL Server (1 machine)

>how can I call dll component running on MTS machine through IIS machine?

>Thanks

Sat, 10 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 IE(ActiveX)->IIS->MTS-SQLServer structure

thanks Jeff

I think I should make my question more clear here. I think your idea on
adding IIS +MTS server is a good idea. but For escurity reason, I just want
make IIS as a entry port and let MTSs handle the request from client,

yes, I think it is not very hard to call dll on ASP page, what about activeX
control in activex document inside IE as a front end?

Thanks

Quote:

>Robert,

>Splitting IIS and MTS is theoretically possible.  To do it, you would setup
>your classes on the remote MTS machine.  You would then configure MTS on
the
>IIS machine to use those classes remotely, making it transparent to any ASP
>code.  There are a couple of articles about setting MTS up to do this.  You
>need to add a file share, if I remember correctly.

>The real question, however, is why would you do this?  IIS4 and MTS are
very
>tightly optimized.  Putting your components on another machine would
>significantly slow you're application down.  If you think cross-process COM
>is slow, try cross-machine!

>If you want to scale your application to more users, make sure your
>application is sessionless, and  then simply add IIS servers.

>Jeff Dunmall

>>hi, I have a question regarding the structure thing in 4-tier structure
>over
>>internet.

>>Frontend - ActiveX with RDS
>>IIS
>>MTS
>>SQLServer

>>I can work with 3 computers in this structure

>>Frontend PC-Window 9X with IE and ActiveX create with VB5 and RDS.
>>Secondtier IIS Server + MTS (1 machine)
>>SQL Server (1 machine)

>>My question is can I seprate this physical structure into 4 tier:
>>Frontend PC-Window 9X with IE and ActiveX create with VB5 and RDS.
>>Secondtier IIS Server (1 machine)
>>MTS (1 machine)
>>SQL Server (1 machine)

>>how can I call dll component running on MTS machine through IIS machine?

>>Thanks

Sun, 11 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 IE(ActiveX)->IIS->MTS-SQLServer structure

Quote:

>yes, I think it is not very hard to call dll on ASP page, what about
activeX
>control in activex document inside IE as a front end?

Having your client-side ActiveX control access business logic (dll) on the
server is not quite as straightforward, but there are a number of options.

My favorite way to instantiate business objects on the server is through the
XML features in IE4.  You can create an XML object and set the URL to an asp
page that will perform the business logic you require.  The page creates a
business object, does some work, and then returns the result to the client
in XML.  The client then uses the XML parser (for what it's worth) to read
the expected results, or error information if there is any.

You can also use something like RDS, which effectively does the same thing.
If you want to go the Java route, you can use RMI...

Jeff Dunmall

Sun, 11 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. IE/ActiveX Document -->MTS --> SQL

2. IE/ActiveX Document -->MTS --> SQL

3. IE/ActiveX Document -->MTS --> SQL

6. >>>>>>While Not rst.EOF

7. PSUDOCODE HELP >>>>>>>>>>>

8. >>>>> Serial Communications

9. VB5 >>>>> Academic Version

10. <<<<HELP- OLE container Control>>>>>>>>>

11. FoxFile->VB5->SQLServer

12. !!! URGENT HELP REQUIRED !!!>>>>>>>>