Mousepointer can't be changed at app startup
Author Message
 Mousepointer can't be changed at app startup

I can't get the MousePointer to go to an hourglass in VB5 Enterprise SP3.

I'm using a SPLASH which is loaded by a startup "Main" module.  In
the splash load I've tried setting either MousePointer or
Screen.MousePointer to vbHourGlass (or 11).  It doesn't happen.

The splash appears with an "OK" button disabled.  As soon as the
init work finishes the "OK" is enabled.  But the splash stays for
10 seconds, or until the button is clicked (after being enabled),
whichever comes first.  If the init takes MORE than 10 seconds
then it never enables the button, but rather simply immediately
unloads the splash.  I'd like to have the hourglass mousepointer
until the button becomes enabled, or the splash goes away, whichever
comes first.

I've done this before in VB4 and it worked wonderfully.  (Although
having a startup module rather than a form helps with a few
logistical issues, not possible under VB4)  Is this perhaps a
bug in VB ?  Have others had similar results ?

[ Remove "NoSpam" from the reply E-Mail address.                     ]

Sun, 20 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Mousepointer can't be changed at app startup

I have experienced the same kind of problem.
However, mine is a somewhat different twist.
Like Lee, my mousepointer will not go to hourglass.
However, I also have another problem. My splash screen will
come up with the outline, but will never show the contents.
So, now I have a frame that looks like it is trying to load my
contents, but finally the main form comes up, and the splash
screen goes away without ever displaying properly.
The splash screen is not present for that long; 2-4 seconds, but
long enough, in my opinion, to display some minor labels.

Any ideas?
Thanks
-Bob

Quote:

>I can't get the MousePointer to go to an hourglass in VB5 Enterprise SP3.

>I'm using a SPLASH which is loaded by a startup "Main" module.  In
>the splash load I've tried setting either MousePointer or
>Screen.MousePointer to vbHourGlass (or 11).  It doesn't happen.

>The splash appears with an "OK" button disabled.  As soon as the
>init work finishes the "OK" is enabled.  But the splash stays for
>10 seconds, or until the button is clicked (after being enabled),
>whichever comes first.  If the init takes MORE than 10 seconds
>then it never enables the button, but rather simply immediately
>unloads the splash.  I'd like to have the hourglass mousepointer
>until the button becomes enabled, or the splash goes away, whichever
>comes first.

>I've done this before in VB4 and it worked wonderfully.  (Although
>having a startup module rather than a form helps with a few
>logistical issues, not possible under VB4)  Is this perhaps a
>bug in VB ?  Have others had similar results ?

>--
>+--------------------------------------------------------------------+

>[ Remove "NoSpam" from the reply E-Mail address.                     ]
>+--------------------------------------------------------------------+

Fri, 25 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Mousepointer can't be changed at app startup

Sure, just issue a Me.Show: Me.Refresh in the load event of your splash
screen.

Quote:

>I have experienced the same kind of problem.
>However, mine is a somewhat different twist.
>Like Lee, my mousepointer will not go to hourglass.
>However, I also have another problem. My splash screen will
>come up with the outline, but will never show the contents.
>So, now I have a frame that looks like it is trying to load my
>contents, but finally the main form comes up, and the splash
>screen goes away without ever displaying properly.
>The splash screen is not present for that long; 2-4 seconds, but
>long enough, in my opinion, to display some minor labels.

Sat, 26 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Mousepointer can't be changed at app startup

I had the same problem a while back and If I recall correctly I had to use a
DoEvent to allow my splash screen to finish painting, I also had to change
the cursor position a little bit so it will change to an hour glass.  (This
was in VB 3 days)

Hope this helps.
Tony

Quote:

>I have experienced the same kind of problem.
>However, mine is a somewhat different twist.
>Like Lee, my mousepointer will not go to hourglass.

.
.
.
.

Sat, 26 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Mousepointer can't be changed at app startup

I had the same problem a while back and If I recall correctly I had to use a
DoEvent to allow my splash screen to finish painting, I also had to change
the cursor position a little bit so it will change to an hour glass.  (This
was in VB 3 days)

Hope this helps.
Tony

Quote:

>I have experienced the same kind of problem.
>However, mine is a somewhat different twist.
>Like Lee, my mousepointer will not go to hourglass.

.
.
.
.

Sat, 26 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Mousepointer can't be changed at app startup

Thanks,
That did the trick.
I am a little confused though on one point.
If I have a main form in which I issue a frmSpash.Show (splash screen form).
Why would this display the  shell of the splash screen, without the content?

My understanding was that when a Show is invoked on a form, that it will
load the form into memory and then display it. By issuing a Me.Show from
within the frmSplash, it seems redundant.

Any thoughts?
-Bob

Quote:

>Sure, just issue a Me.Show: Me.Refresh in the load event of your splash
>screen.

>>I have experienced the same kind of problem.
>>However, mine is a somewhat different twist.
>>Like Lee, my mousepointer will not go to hourglass.
>>However, I also have another problem. My splash screen will
>>come up with the outline, but will never show the contents.
>>So, now I have a frame that looks like it is trying to load my
>>contents, but finally the main form comes up, and the splash
>>screen goes away without ever displaying properly.
>>The splash screen is not present for that long; 2-4 seconds, but
>>long enough, in my opinion, to display some minor labels.

Sat, 26 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Mousepointer can't be changed at app startup

Thanks,
That did the trick.
I am a little confused though on one point.
If I have a main form in which I issue a frmSpash.Show (splash screen form).
Why would this display the  shell of the splash screen, without the content?

My understanding was that when a Show is invoked on a form, that it will
load the form into memory and then display it. By issuing a Me.Show from
within the frmSplash, it seems redundant.

Any thoughts?
-Bob

Quote:

>Sure, just issue a Me.Show: Me.Refresh in the load event of your splash
>screen.

>>I have experienced the same kind of problem.
>>However, mine is a somewhat different twist.
>>Like Lee, my mousepointer will not go to hourglass.
>>However, I also have another problem. My splash screen will
>>come up with the outline, but will never show the contents.
>>So, now I have a frame that looks like it is trying to load my
>>contents, but finally the main form comes up, and the splash
>>screen goes away without ever displaying properly.
>>The splash screen is not present for that long; 2-4 seconds, but
>>long enough, in my opinion, to display some minor labels.

Sat, 26 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. I am trying to change the MousePointer

2. Making my startup-app keep the focus/interference from other startup-apps

3. Change Mousepointer doesn't work

4. MousePointer won't change

5. 'Canned' data in VB program

6. Mousepointer doesn't change in DLL

7. IFrame - can't script src change in asp app

8. VB5+SP3: app error when assigning value to Me.Mousepointer

9. Changing the Colour of Another App's Edit Boxes

10. Can I change the shape of the mousepointer

11. PLEASE HELP: howto change mousepointer