Using Printer common dialog changes default printer
Author Message
 Using Printer common dialog changes default printer

Is there a way to use the common dialog control and the printer object and
let a user print to a printer different than their default printer and NOT
have that printer become the default printer?

Thanks,

John Holmes
Skagit County Information Services
360-419-3342

Sun, 18 Apr 2004 02:15:12 GMT
 Using Printer common dialog changes default printer
Yes

Use commondialog DLL instead of OCX.
If you want sample code, juse let me know

Chris

Quote:
> Is there a way to use the common dialog control and the printer object and
> let a user print to a printer different than their default printer and NOT
> have that printer become the default printer?

> Thanks,

> John Holmes
> Skagit County Information Services
> 360-419-3342

Sun, 18 Apr 2004 04:19:59 GMT
 Using Printer common dialog changes default printer

Quote:
> Is there a way to use the common dialog control and the printer object and
> let a user print to a printer different than their default printer and NOT
> have that printer become the default printer?

No. What a pain, eh?

Sun, 18 Apr 2004 05:47:05 GMT
 Using Printer common dialog changes default printer
If all you want is a list of printers to choose from, you can loop through
the Printers collection and add them to a combobox, then set the Printer
object = printer selected from the combobox... Doing it this way won't mess
with any system settings.. I have an example if interested..

Selecting a Printer
http://www.vbsight.com/Programs.html

First thing on the page...

Quote:
> Is there a way to use the common dialog control and the printer object and
> let a user print to a printer different than their default printer and NOT
> have that printer become the default printer?

> Thanks,

> John Holmes
> Skagit County Information Services
> 360-419-3342

Sun, 18 Apr 2004 06:44:09 GMT
 Using Printer common dialog changes default printer
Hi John,

Do those suggestions work for you? I think Ken's idea is quite good and you
may have a try.

Additionally, if you are familiar with C, you can take a look at the
following Knowledge Base article.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q166/1/29.asp

Thanks,

Peter Wu
Microsoft Corporation

reserved.

Sun, 18 Apr 2004 10:10:38 GMT
 Using Printer common dialog changes default printer
No as far as I have found in the last 5 years, no.
Microsoft knowledge base also confirmed that to me. I have
my own printer box form which works real well and it does
not change the printers defaults.
Quote:

Mon, 10 May 2004 05:13:33 GMT
 Using Printer common dialog changes default printer
No as far as I have found in the last 5 years, no.
Microsoft knowledge base also confirmed that to me. I have
my own printer box form which works real well and it does
not change the printers defaults.
Quote:

Mon, 10 May 2004 05:13:39 GMT

1. Common dialog control changes default printer

2. How To Get Printer Dialog Not to Change Default Printer

3. Using common dialog to change printer device context

4. Changing Printers property reset printer to Windows default printer

5. Macro to change default printer and then restore original default printer settin

6. Try Again: How to change the printer in the Print Dialog of the Common Dialog

7. Common Dialog and Default Printers (??)

8. Common Dialog - Does not follow default printer

9. Default Printer with Common Dialog box in VB 5

10. Common Dialog ShowPrinter doesn't post to default printer

11. Common Dialog ShowPrinter doesn't post to default printer

12. not able to get printer from Common Printer Dialog