msvbvm60.dll - do I really need it?
Author Message
 msvbvm60.dll - do I really need it?

I've just finished my program and on displaying it to a potential
customer on their computer - "required dll file msvbvm60.dll is
missing". aaaahgghhhhhhg

Is it possible to compile an exe file using VB6.0 which doesn't require
this file. ie can I make it compatible with any win95/98 system. Maybe
if I don't include a certain control or something this might be
possible?

Thanks a lot for any advice,
ozi

Sat, 06 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 msvbvm60.dll - do I really need it?
Sorry, that's the VB6 virtual machine.  You need it whether running P-code
or native.
--
Earl Damron, MCSD, MVP (Visual Basic)

Quote:
> I've just finished my program and on displaying it to a potential
> customer on their computer - "required dll file msvbvm60.dll is
> missing". aaaahgghhhhhhg

> Is it possible to compile an exe file using VB6.0 which doesn't require
> this file. ie can I make it compatible with any win95/98 system. Maybe
> if I don't include a certain control or something this might be
> possible?

> Thanks a lot for any advice,
> ozi

Sat, 06 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 msvbvm60.dll - do I really need it?
No. The file is part of the VB runtime library and is required by all VB
applications that are compiled using VB6. Unlike lower level languages such
as C/C++ etc you cannot statically link this to produce a single shippable
exe/dll. You have to ship this file with your installation and in fact you
should probably update the whole VB runtime whilst you're at it, ie:
Asycfilt.dll
Comcat.dll
msvbvm60.dll
Oleaut32.dll
Olepro32.dll
Stdole2.tlb
There's even a self extracting exe (vbrun60sp3.exe) that will upgrade the
user's VB runtime to 6.0 service pack 3 available for download from
Microsoft's ftp site (sorry can't remember the URL)

Dan

Quote:

--
Dan Scarborough
The Network Design House

Sat, 06 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 msvbvm60.dll - do I really need it?
Thanks for the advice mate.
Quote:

> No. The file is part of the VB runtime library and is required by all VB
> applications that are compiled using VB6. Unlike lower level languages such
> as C/C++ etc you cannot statically link this to produce a single shippable
> exe/dll. You have to ship this file with your installation and in fact you
> should probably update the whole VB runtime whilst you're at it, ie:
> Asycfilt.dll
> Comcat.dll
> msvbvm60.dll
> Oleaut32.dll
> Olepro32.dll
> Stdole2.tlb
> There's even a self extracting exe (vbrun60sp3.exe) that will upgrade the
> user's VB runtime to 6.0 service pack 3 available for download from
> Microsoft's ftp site (sorry can't remember the URL)

> Dan

> > I've just finished my program and on displaying it to a potential
> > customer on their computer - "required dll file msvbvm60.dll is
> > missing". aaaahgghhhhhhg

> > Is it possible to compile an exe file using VB6.0 which doesn't require
> > this file. ie can I make it compatible with any win95/98 system. Maybe
> > if I don't include a certain control or something this might be
> > possible?

> > Thanks a lot for any advice,
> > ozi

> --
> Dan Scarborough
> The Network Design House
> 2 Parliament Court
> Artillery Lane
> London  E1 7NA.
> Tel: +44 (0)171 375 0909
> Fax: +44 (0)171 375 0505
> Technical Support: +44 (0)171 366 0556
> http://www.NDH.co.uk

Sat, 06 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 msvbvm60.dll - do I really need it?

Using partician Magic, I have extended particians with fresh installs of
Win95, 98, and NT. Before deploying an app, I will restore each to a primary
partician, boot them up, and test my installation. Once done, I just blow
away the primary partician and can restore the test partican again as many
times as needed. I have also found it useful to create special test
particians configured identically as my current client's workstations.

Eric

Quote:
> I've just finished my program and on displaying it to a potential
> customer on their computer - "required dll file msvbvm60.dll is
> missing". aaaahgghhhhhhg

> Is it possible to compile an exe file using VB6.0 which doesn't require
> this file. ie can I make it compatible with any win95/98 system. Maybe
> if I don't include a certain control or something this might be
> possible?

> Thanks a lot for any advice,
> ozi

Sat, 06 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 msvbvm60.dll - do I really need it?
Whoa! Isn't partitioning a little bit too harsh?

Quote:

> Using partician Magic, I have extended particians with fresh installs of
> Win95, 98, and NT. Before deploying an app, I will restore each to a
primary
> partician, boot them up, and test my installation. Once done, I just blow
> away the primary partician and can restore the test partican again as many
> times as needed. I have also found it useful to create special test
> particians configured identically as my current client's workstations.

> Eric

> > I've just finished my program and on displaying it to a potential
> > customer on their computer - "required dll file msvbvm60.dll is
> > missing". aaaahgghhhhhhg

> > Is it possible to compile an exe file using VB6.0 which doesn't require
> > this file. ie can I make it compatible with any win95/98 system. Maybe
> > if I don't include a certain control or something this might be
> > possible?

> > Thanks a lot for any advice,
> > ozi

Sat, 06 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 msvbvm60.dll - do I really need it?

Quote:

>Whoa! Isn't partitioning a little bit too harsh?

Depends on your point of view. I use a test machine and
a series of network-based install scripts. I can take a
machine from fdisk to an full os fairly quickly.

I've used multiple windows folders as well;
partitioning is really just an extension of that.

Sat, 06 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 msvbvm60.dll - do I really need it?
with partition magic its not too harsh, and is a
great way to test applications instead of having a clean machine with just
windows to test it on... i like this idea.. hadnt thought of it

Quote:
> Whoa! Isn't partitioning a little bit too harsh?

> > Using partician Magic, I have extended particians with fresh installs of
> > Win95, 98, and NT. Before deploying an app, I will restore each to a
> primary
> > partician, boot them up, and test my installation. Once done, I just
blow
> > away the primary partician and can restore the test partican again as
many
> > times as needed. I have also found it useful to create special test
> > particians configured identically as my current client's workstations.

> > Eric

> > > I've just finished my program and on displaying it to a potential
> > > customer on their computer - "required dll file msvbvm60.dll is
> > > missing". aaaahgghhhhhhg

> > > Is it possible to compile an exe file using VB6.0 which doesn't
require
> > > this file. ie can I make it compatible with any win95/98 system. Maybe
> > > if I don't include a certain control or something this might be
> > > possible?

> > > Thanks a lot for any advice,
> > > ozi

Sat, 06 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 msvbvm60.dll - do I really need it?
Get Ghost, install a clean machine, make an image of it, then fiddle away.
When done, gust run Ghost, and it will use the image to recreate the clean
machine.

--

Randy Birch, MVP Visual Basic

http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/
http://www.mvps.org/ccrp/

| with partition magic its not too harsh, and is a
| great way to test applications instead of having a clean machine with just
| windows to test it on... i like this idea.. hadnt thought of it
|

| > Whoa! Isn't partitioning a little bit too harsh?
| >

| > > Using partician Magic, I have extended particians with fresh installs
of
| > > Win95, 98, and NT. Before deploying an app, I will restore each to a
| > primary
| > > partician, boot them up, and test my installation. Once done, I just
| blow
| > > away the primary partician and can restore the test partican again as
| many
| > > times as needed. I have also found it useful to create special test
| > > particians configured identically as my current client's workstations.
| > >
| > > Eric

| require
Maybe

Sat, 06 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 msvbvm60.dll - do I really need it?
I agree.  Ghost is the best thing since sliced silicone as far as programming
goes.  I can recreate my clean machine in less than 20 minutes using ghost.  How
long does it take with Partition Magic?

ian

Quote:

> Get Ghost, install a clean machine, make an image of it, then fiddle away.
> When done, gust run Ghost, and it will use the image to recreate the clean
> machine.

> --

> Randy Birch, MVP Visual Basic

> http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/
> http://www.mvps.org/ccrp/

> | with partition magic its not too harsh, and is a
> | great way to test applications instead of having a clean machine with just
> | windows to test it on... i like this idea.. hadnt thought of it
> |

> | > Whoa! Isn't partitioning a little bit too harsh?

> of
> | > primary
> | blow
> | many

> | require
> Maybe

Sun, 07 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 msvbvm60.dll - do I really need it?
Spot on Randy. I have several different Ghost images, Win95, Win98, 98SE,
NT4 and some foreign language versions. Takes but a few minutes to switch
from one to another an be sure that stuff installs on a clean OS.

--

Regards, Paul.

www.gooch.co.uk

Quote:
> Get Ghost, install a clean machine, make an image of it, then fiddle away.
> When done, gust run Ghost, and it will use the image to recreate the clean
> machine.

> --

> Randy Birch, MVP Visual Basic

> http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/
> http://www.mvps.org/ccrp/

> | with partition magic its not too harsh, and is a
> | great way to test applications instead of having a clean machine with
just
> | windows to test it on... i like this idea.. hadnt thought of it
> |

> | > Whoa! Isn't partitioning a little bit too harsh?

> of
> | > primary
> | blow
> | many

> | require
> Maybe

Sun, 07 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 msvbvm60.dll - do I really need it?
You might have avoided the embarrassment had you created a proper setup
routine with the Package and Deployment Wizard.  This ensures that all the
baggage your app requires is available when away from the development
machine.

Quote:
> I've just finished my program and on displaying it to a potential
> customer on their computer - "required dll file msvbvm60.dll is
> missing". aaaahgghhhhhhg

> Is it possible to compile an exe file using VB6.0 which doesn't require
> this file. ie can I make it compatible with any win95/98 system. Maybe
> if I don't include a certain control or something this might be
> possible?

> Thanks a lot for any advice,
> ozi

Sun, 07 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 msvbvm60.dll - do I really need it?

: I agree.  Ghost is the best thing since sliced silicone as far as
: programming goes.  I can recreate my clean machine in less than 20
: minutes using ghost.  How long does it take with Partition Magic?

  I agree entirely with the idea of keeping "clean OS's" about for
testing purposes.
  I haven't looked into Ghost, but I have my machine set up with
a blank partitions.  I have made a ZIP file with a clean Win95, Win98
and WinNT install.
  I can boot into an OS and test my app to my heart's delight, and
trash it as much as I like.
  Then, later, I boot back into my 'main' partition - NT - and just
use WinZip to put a clean OS back.  I can still do things in the
foreground while this is happening, too.

Sun, 07 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 msvbvm60.dll - do I really need it?

Quote:

>Spot on Randy. I have several different Ghost images, Win95, Win98, 98SE,
>NT4 and some foreign language versions. Takes but a few minutes to switch
>from one to another an be sure that stuff installs on a clean OS.

Has anyone tried VMWare (The PC emulator software)
What I have done is (Under Win NT-4) created 3 virtual machines (Which
are actually files on the hard drive) One with Win98, one with NT and
one with Win2K.  (Well, there is one more with Linux, but I wouldn't
have the bad grace to mention that in a Microsoft forum)

Each file (representing one VM with OS) has been backed up to CD, so
to do a clean install, I just copy the file from CD to the hard drive
and launch the VMWare application.
No rebooting and works fine (on my PII-450, 128M), unless your doing
anything with DirectX, which is not supported.

It allows full access to all devices (CD, Floppy etc) and even full
network access with a separate IP address to the Host operating
system, so testing Dcom apps across a network is a breeze.

Well worth the money.

Andrew Mitchell

Mon, 08 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 msvbvm60.dll - do I really need it?
    I've actually found a use for both Partician Magic and Ghost on a
regular basis. Ghost is good because you can compress a partician into a
single file, therefore archiving about three times as many "flavors" of a
configuration. PM gives me better tools for creating, re-sizing, formating
and hiding / mapping particians.
    I've also found it useful to occasionally install a fresh drive with all
my development tools, use it for a few days to make sure it has everything I
need, and then archive that as well. Many times, I've seen a developer
pulling their hair out, because some service pack or shareware app has
botched their only work pc. For me, I just whip out my restore diskette and
I'm back in business a half hour later.
    However, I reccomend that anyone choosing to go this route get in the
habbit of saving their e-mail, documents, projects, etc. to some type of
read/write removable media such as an iomega zip drive or a special "data"
partician. This way, you dont blow away a boot partician, and then go
"Doh!!!", because you forgot there was something on there you actually need.
Luckily, it's never happended to me, but just some advice for readers.

Eric

Quote:
> Get Ghost, install a clean machine, make an image of it, then fiddle away.
> When done, gust run Ghost, and it will use the image to recreate the clean
> machine.

> --

> Randy Birch, MVP Visual Basic

> http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/
> http://www.mvps.org/ccrp/

Tue, 09 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. msvbvm60.dll - do I really need it?

2. MSVBVM60.DLL and DLL Hell

3. Error in VBA6.DLL\MSVBVM60.DLL, please reboot and try again

4. Illegal operation (MSRD2X35.DLL and MSVBVM60.DLL)

5. Search -- Really really need help

6. Is MSVCRT40.DLL really needed?

7. Now I've really done it!!

8. These Deiploma SPAMS are really well done

9. Is access really doing something else ???

10. when is web browser control really done

11. msvbvm60.dll page fault at 00178:660ee981 and overflow memory

12. Looking for the file MSVBVM60.DLL