remote registration of VB components - how??
Author Message
 remote registration of VB components - how??

I am developing an ASP web site on NT 4

When I am happy I copy my HTML/ASP/etc  pages over to the server.

But for the VB dlls I have to go to the web server and compile and register
them.

Can I copy over dlls from my development machine to the server and register
them remotely (do I need to reregister if I have only made a minor change)??

Do not worry about compatibility differences - I would not copy
over a dll whose interface had changed

Thanks in anticipation
Charlie

Mon, 11 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 remote registration of VB components - how??
To remotely register the component you will need to spawn regsvr32 remotely
on that machine.  Look into the NT Resource Kit for tools that will do that,
or you can use the AT command.

If the interface has not changed then you can simply replace the old DLL
with the new without having to re-register.

Mon, 11 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 remote registration of VB components - how??
Hi Charlie,

in our company (lots of Internet servers) we found that it is
the easiest way to use tools such as PC Anywhere. You
get total (remote) control over any far away server.

Best,
Tim

Quote:
> I am developing an ASP web site on NT 4

> When I am happy I copy my HTML/ASP/etc  pages over to the server.

> But for the VB dlls I have to go to the web server and compile and
register
> them.

> Can I copy over dlls from my development machine to the server and
register
> them remotely (do I need to reregister if I have only made a minor
change)??

> Do not worry about compatibility differences - I would not copy
> over a dll whose interface had changed

> Thanks in anticipation
> Charlie

Mon, 11 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 remote registration of VB components - how??
One problem you might have is that IIS usually keeps hold of the DLL
once it has been run, so you need to stop and start the w3svc service.

Another point, if these are for ASP use, make sure you're not storing
them in the ASP as this will cripple the IIS performance and you
should also check the Unattended Execution and Retain In Memory boxes
- there's a couple of Q articles on the subject.

Regards

Paul Hatcher, MCSD
Principal Consultant
Graduate Associates Ltd

Tue, 12 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 remote registration of VB components - how??
Web hosts usually do not allow custom COM objects to be installed on
their servers (unless you have a dedicated one) for security reasons.
even if they allow it, they usually like to test them before they allow
the installation.  most of them in my experience therefore insist that
they will do the registration whevenever required, instead of giving me
the required privileges on their servers.  some of them charge for each
registration and some dont (web-hosting.com and net-nation.com have
given me deals where i didnt have to pay for every registration).

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 17 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. remote registration of VB components - how??

2. Control Registration with Remote Server Registration

3. VB server/client remote component not working - Please Help

4. First VB server/client remote component not working

5. VB server/client remote component not working - Please Help

6. First VB server/client remote component not working

7. VB server/client remote component not working - Please Help

8. First VB server/client remote component not working

9. Remote DLL registration ...

10. Remote Registration???

11. Component Registration

12. Registration of Components