PopupMenu Problerm with TreeeView Common Control 6.0 SP4
Author Message
 PopupMenu Problerm with TreeeView Common Control 6.0 SP4

I have a problem with the PopupMenu function when using it from Visual Basic
6.0 SP5 with a TreeView 6.0 SP4.

I'm using the MouseUp event on a TreeView common control to trigger the
PopupMenu function when a user right-clicks on a node. The menu displays
correctly.

The problem is, if I left-click on the title of the VB form while the popup
menu is open, the main window's system menu comes up where I click. The
popup menu closes, but the system menu is visible.

This does not occur from PopupMenus on a listview control on the same form.

I've disabled the NodeClick code on the treeview to make sure there was no
interefence, but the same problem occurred. The problem becomes even worse
when I use a 3rd party toolbar control and their popup menu function,
because left-clicking on any open toolbar when the popup menu is visible
throws up the system menu.

When I say left-click on the title bar, what I mean is that if the popup
menu is open and the user wants to close the menu (not make a choice) and
chooses to do so with the mouse by clicking off the popup menu, and the user
happens to click on the title bar, the system menu comes up.

This appears to be a problem with the treeview control, because it does not
occur with other controls and also causes a problem with 3rd party menu
tools and their corresponding popup menu functions. It also does not occur
with 3rd party treeview replacement controls. It occurs on all OSs I've
tried (Win 2K and Win98)

I would have attached a small VB test app, but apparently the group does not
allow binaries. Below is a dump of loaded DLLs.

The reason for the cross-posting is because:
1) This appears to be a bug in the treeview
2) I wanted to get some feedback from the VB audience about whether they
have encountered/worked-around the problem
3) I want to know if there are any API work-arounds for the problem

Any ideas?

--
David Gugick
Intrinsic Design, Inc.

DLL Dump
========
Logitech Mouse Hook Library
9.26.0000.0000
2/7/2001 9:26 AM
C:\MOUSE\SYSTEM\LGMOUSHK.DLL
Web Hook
4.05.0120.0000
12/19/2000 5:15 AM
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\WBHOOK32.DLL
1.00.0000.0000
5/7/2001 2:16 PM
C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\TBPROB\TBPROB.EXE
Win32 ADVAPI32 core component
4.80.0000.1675
4/23/1999 10:22 PM
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ADVAPI32.DLL
Common Controls Library
5.81.4522.1800
10/20/2000 12:00 AM C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMCTL32.DLL
Common Dialogs DLL
4.72.3510.2300
4/23/1999 10:22 PM
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMDLG32.DLL
Win32 GDI core component
4.10.0000.1998
4/23/1999 10:22 PM
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\GDI32.DLL
Win32 Kernel core component
4.10.0000.2222
4/23/1999 10:22 PM
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
Windows Common Controls ActiveX Control DLL
6.00.0088.0062
5/22/2000 12:00 AM
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSCOMCTL.OCX
Visual Basic Virtual Machine
6.00.0089.0064
8/21/2000 12:00 AM
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSVBVM60.DLL
Microsoft OLE for Windows and Windows NT
4.71.2900.0000
4/23/1999 10:22 PM
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\OLE32.DLL
2.40.4515.0000
2/18/2000 3:50 PM
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\OLEAUT32.DLL
Windows Shell Common Dll
4.72.3612.1700
4/23/1999 10:22 PM
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL
Shell Light-weight Utility Library
5.50.4522.1800
10/20/2000 12:00 AM C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHLWAPI.DLL
Win32 USER32 core component
4.10.0000.2227
4/21/2000 8:33 AM
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USER32.DLL
Win32 VERSION core component
4.10.0000.1998
4/23/1999 10:22 PM
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VERSION.DLL

Sat, 25 Oct 2003 02:24:58 GMT
 PopupMenu Problerm with TreeeView Common Control 6.0 SP4
What happens when you try showing a popup menu implemented in an other form
than the one containing the TreeView?

Sat, 25 Oct 2003 15:45:39 GMT
 PopupMenu Problerm with TreeeView Common Control 6.0 SP4
I have the same problem - only with TreeViews - VS6 Enterprise SP5 under
Windows 2000 SP1.
It's got to be a bug...!  Some flag is not being set/cleared correctly...

Steve Bavin

Quote:
> [...]

> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
> Windows Common Controls ActiveX Control DLL
> 6.00.0088.0062
> 5/22/2000 12:00 AM
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSCOMCTL.OCX
> Visual Basic Virtual Machine
> 6.00.0089.0064
> 8/21/2000 12:00 AM
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSVBVM60.DLL
> Microsoft OLE for Windows and Windows NT
> 4.71.2900.0000
> 4/23/1999 10:22 PM
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\OLE32.DLL
> 2.40.4515.0000
> 2/18/2000 3:50 PM
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\OLEAUT32.DLL
> Windows Shell Common Dll
> 4.72.3612.1700
> 4/23/1999 10:22 PM
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL
> Shell Light-weight Utility Library
> 5.50.4522.1800
> 10/20/2000 12:00 AM C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHLWAPI.DLL

Sat, 25 Oct 2003 19:07:18 GMT

1. PopupMenu Problerm with TreeeView Common Control 6.0 SP4

2. PopupMenu Problerm with TreeeView Common Control 6.0 SP4

3. PopupMenu Problerm with TreeeView Common Control 6.0 SP4

4. download Windows Common controls 6.0(SP4)

5. Bug in ListView in Common Controls 6 SP4

6. Microsoft Date and Time Picker Control 6.0 (SP4)

7. Problem with ListView control 6.0 SP4

8. Bug with MS Internet Transfer control 6.0 (SP4)

9. DateTimePicker and other controls from Windows Common Controls-2 6.0

10. vb6 - I have no Project-Components-Control called Microsoft Common Dialog Control 6.0

11. Detecting Common Controls 5.0, 5.0 SP2, 6.0

12. Manifest dont work with Common controls 6.0, why ?