Copying an 'in-use' file when windows restarts
Author Message
 Copying an 'in-use' file when windows restarts

This is a long shot .... I'm working on an app that installs file components
and registers them.  The problem that I've run into is the case where a
particular component is 'in-use'.  In this case I configure Win 95 so that
it will copy the file the next time windows restarts.  To do this I'm using
the WININIT.EXE and WININIT.INI that exist in C:\WINDOWS.

The problem that I'm having is this tool (WININIT.EXE) doesn't support the
copying of long filenames because it is executed before windows enters
protected-mode.  Does anyone know of another method to copy 'in-use' files
when windows restarts?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dan Doucet

Sat, 14 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Copying an 'in-use' file when windows restarts

Before you make your entry into the WININIT.INI, use the GetShortFileName
API (or something close to that) to convert your long filename to one
compatible with the DOS 8.3 format.

--

Tony Selke

(please remove the _No-Junk-Mail_ prior to responding)

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Quote:

>This is a long shot .... I'm working on an app that installs file
components
>and registers them.  The problem that I've run into is the case where a
>particular component is 'in-use'.  In this case I configure Win 95 so that
>it will copy the file the next time windows restarts.  To do this I'm using
>the WININIT.EXE and WININIT.INI that exist in C:\WINDOWS.

>The problem that I'm having is this tool (WININIT.EXE) doesn't support the
>copying of long filenames because it is executed before windows enters
>protected-mode.  Does anyone know of another method to copy 'in-use' files
>when windows restarts?

>Any suggestions would be appreciated.

>Dan Doucet

Fri, 20 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Copy Files using FileSystemObject (Doesn't work)

2. Copy BLOB's out of Oracle into a file using VBA in Access 97

3. Copy a bunch of files but can't cancel in the middle of copy

4. Rich Text File (.RTF) -Can't copy multiple .rtf files

5. Rich Text File (.RTF) -Can't copy multiple .rtf files (VB 6.0 Enterprise)

6. This Newsgroup Window: can't chg using arrows or window

7. 'shell'ing a external windows program withoud windows

8. choose a file with the common windows's window

9. Login Off's In Windows '95/'98

10. Can't copy file after recent modification

12. File copying from cd-rom's and Read-Only Attributes